PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Band or support class?

JustMe
09-03-2015, 11:26 PM
So, today I got a call from my daughter's case manager. My daughter is going into 7th grade. Last year she started band. Her support class took the place of science, which seemed weird at first but actually worked out well. Anyway, case manager says I have to choose if I want her to have band or the support class as they are both the same period! He doesn't like it either, (and I know he doesnt) but says there's nothing he can do about it. I am so torn as my daughter loves band, and its one of the only things at school she gets to feel good about. It makes her come alive. ..but she needs the lang. arts support and you have no idea (well some of you probably do) how hard I fought to get her that just a couple of years ago.

So, I ask case manager what he recommends as I really don't know what to do. He says maybe she can keep band, not have the support class, and he can pull her out of a first period elective twice a week to see how long arts is going. I agree this may be the best option. He says he is going to check with the elective teacher to see if that's okay. I say what, its in her IEP that she gets these services, how can an elective teacher stop that. He says if I want to be legal about it, they can force her to take the support class and not have band and I won't get that choice anymore (he was being nice, not threatening..just telling me what he forsees). So, I agreed we should try to see if it will be okay for him to pull her out of the elective--but now I feel so torn. She really needs a lot of lang art support, and I am not going to be okay with reducing the time in her IEP (that was not mentioned, but just saying)...but she needs band in a different way. I wish we hadn't started band, but we did and now she knows what she would be missing. What would you do?

pinay
09-04-2015, 01:23 AM
What elective would she be pulled out of twice a week? That seems like a lot to ask of an elective teacher who has their own curriculum that they are trying to provide for their students. I'm a HUGE proponent of providing arts education, so I would choose band for my own child but if she needed academic support it would be a tough decision. Is it possible to try band and do without the support class for the first semester and see how she does? If you're satisfied with how she's progressing academically she gets to stay in band, if not she drops it and picks up the support class.

JustMe
09-04-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks for your response. I already know she absolutely needs the support class (or some other form of support that doesn't seem to be offered) to be successful academically. That need really is not gray for her..On the other hand, she needs band to be a happy person and feel good about herself! She does not need the elective at all....other than that's just how its done.

KrisM
09-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Can she alternate? Here, kids can pick choir or band. If they want to do both, they are the same period and they alternate days. Maybe that would work 2-3 days a week of band and 2-3 days a week of the support class?

123LuckyMom
09-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Have you spoken to the music teacher and explained the dilemma? It's a long shot, but maybe there's a way she can be in A band, rather than THE band, or maybe the band teacher can think of a way out of the conflict. It's worth a try.

petesgirl
09-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Is there any way you could get a private tutor for language arts? Maybe a high school student to come to your house a few times a week and tutor her? If not, I would definitely talk to the band teacher about doing that alternating days like PP suggested. Such a dilemma, as both are important for her!!

JustMe
09-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks so much for the responses! We went away the last couple of days, so I am just now reading this. The good news is that I e-mailed the principal and he responded (he is a great principal, but responding to e-mails is not a strength)! He says they will think about it and talk about options on Tuesday. This doesn't just effect my child, it effects many kids, and I know the spec. ed teacher (who is a musician) is not happy about this. So, maybe they will come up with something.

JustMe
09-09-2015, 11:15 PM
Update: I spoke to the sped teacher and we came up with a decent alternative. The principal still has to approve it, but I am optimistic that he will. Dd will not have social studies this year. That is not really a lose for us as she does not learn anything in those big regular ed classes and failed social studies last year. Instead she will go to the lang support class for 6th graders (one year behind her). The sped teacher says he will work with her so her needs are addressed there. I hope he is able to do that, as I know he has good intentions, but cannot always follow through on them. She gets to keep band.

I am happy with the way the school worked with me on this (assuming the principal approves or has a better idea). A nice change after the sped teacher from hell I worked with when dd was in elementary school.

pinay
09-09-2015, 11:29 PM
So glad that there's the potential for a compromise that will meet your daughter's academic and musical needs! Sounds like a very supportive sped teacher and principal!

georgiegirl
09-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Sounds like a good compromise!

jren
09-10-2015, 08:44 AM
So glad it worked out! My daughter loves band and would really lose interest in the academic part of school if not for band.

JustMe
09-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Thanks for understanding!