PDA

View Full Version : Okay Tri ladies - in case of Heavy AF

maestramommy
09-10-2015, 10:16 PM
What do you do? I have never been able to find a good solution for a heavy flow day. I wear a Diva cup, but on my heavy flow days I ALWAYS need a pad as a backup for leaking. It was the same when I was using tampons. If anyone has a tampon rec that is bombproof I would love to hear it! AF is imminent and though I'm only on day 25 on race day it's been notorious for coming early in the last year.

ETA: someone told me that a wetsuit helps, but I am not wearing a wetsuit on race day. Besides, I would still need protection for the bike and run.

ps. I could use some good race vibes. I wiped out on my bike Labor Day, and hurt my ankle and knee pretty bad. I practiced the swim and transition to bike today, and that part is fine. Run could be ugly, but I'll walk it if I have to. What I don't want to do is drop out.

mikala
09-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Sending good race vibes your way!! :cheerleader1:

I don't have any tips for your initial question and am curious to hear what others have to say!

geochick
09-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Talk to your MD. There may be some meds you can take to delay the inevitable. Good luck. You are my hero!

ABO Mama
09-11-2015, 11:36 AM
I have put an O.B. tampon inside my diva cup for that really heavy, first day flow. It actually works pretty well, and is not too hard to insert. It wasn't for a tri race, but an all day field trip, with minimal available toilet facilities.

maestramommy
09-11-2015, 01:48 PM
I have put an O.B. tampon inside my diva cup for that really heavy, first day flow. It actually works pretty well, and is not too hard to insert. It wasn't for a tri race, but an all day field trip, with minimal available toilet facilities.

whoa, tell me more! I've only used OB a couple of times. So, you put the tampon in the cup, with the string hanging over the side? Or just drop the whole thing string and all into the cup, and insert the cup? Does the tampon actually stay in the cup, even if full?

ABO Mama
09-11-2015, 02:02 PM
I know, it was a crazy, desperate idea, but it worked! I put the ob in the cup, string and all. I went about my long, active day, no leakage! Yes, the ob stayed in the cup, and mostly absorbed all the blood. The cup contained the blood that the ob couldn't handle, so no leaking. My first day of af is really heavy (emptying the diva several times)...should work for your race day.

maestramommy
09-11-2015, 02:11 PM
I know, it was a crazy, desperate idea, but it worked! I put the ob in the cup, string and all. I went about my long, active day, no leakage! Yes, the ob stayed in the cup, and mostly absorbed all the blood. The cup contained the blood that the ob couldn't handle, so no leaking. My first day of af is really heavy (emptying the diva several times)...should work for your race day.

Wow, that's genius! Yes, for me it's my first full day, so normally the 2nd day, that is so heavy. Mainly because of clumping. I find I am emptying every 30 minutes for about 2 hours!

Thank you!

ABO Mama
09-11-2015, 02:18 PM
Glad to help out! Good luck on race day!

mmommy
09-11-2015, 03:03 PM
This solution is brilliant!

hellokitty
09-11-2015, 05:54 PM
That is genius!