PDA

View Full Version : Donate or toss?

jgenie
09-15-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm working on clearing out my bathroom. There is local church that does a huge attic sale every year. I take my donation items there to be sold.

- I have several bottles of perfume - spray bottles previously used - Donate or toss?

- I have tons of samples from Sephora etc. - unopened - donate or toss?

- old perfume bottles (from before DC so easily 8+ yrs old) new in boxes - donate or toss?

TIA

Indianamom2
09-15-2015, 04:38 PM
I would personally toss. The only one I might keep would be the unopened samples, but everything else is either too old (I believe perfume breaks down over time) or used.

petesgirl
09-15-2015, 05:26 PM
I'd also toss.

rlu
09-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Are these Avon (or other) shaped perfume bottles? I believe there is a market for those, but it's been years since I was looking that up. If so, you might briefly research on ebay and if not worth your while, toss the perfume. As for the samples, not sure if the homeless shelters want perfume, you could ask.

eta: this is the type of bottle I remember my Great-aunt having that we dispersed on her passing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Avon-Snail-Shaped-Small-Perfume-Bottle-/252073202083?hash=item3ab0bbd1a3 It's a whole category on eBay.

jgenie
09-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks I'll toss it all. Much easier!

ETA - not Avon just run of the mill perfumes.

Mikey0709
09-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Wow really??? You would all toss? That kind of stuff totally sells at our sales. Our consignment even takes partial perfume bottles!

jgenie
09-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Wow really??? You would all toss? That kind of stuff totally sells at our sales. Our consignment even takes partial perfume bottles!

I'll call the church tomorrow to find out if they'll take them. Thanks!

elbenn
09-15-2015, 08:29 PM
I would toss except for the new perfumes--those might still be good enough to donate.

Globetrotter
09-15-2015, 10:22 PM
I would free cycle those with descriptions. I tend to free cycle funky stuff that would be thrown out otherwise or items that would get lost. For example, old hairspray works to "set" paintings. Maybe there's an usual use for these? You never know what people can use. If that doesn't work, discard all but new/unopened items.

azzeps
09-17-2015, 12:06 AM
Try Freecycle. I feel like if I give it a shot there, and nobody wants it, then it's trash and I can feel okay about landfilling it.