PDA

View Full Version : How do you find a good therapist (for adult)?

MamaInMarch
09-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Any suggestions for finding a good therapist and what to look for when I am in therapy? I am really overwhelmed and stressed lately. I am not sleeping, having digestive problems and just generally struggling with daily life. I would really like to try therapy first before I consider medicine. But I am at a loss as to how to find a therapist and what I should be looking for when I actually attend a session.

ETA: If you have suggestions otherwise, things that helped you, etc. then I am open to that too.

mikala
09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
I'd start with your pcp and friends if you feel comfortable talking mental health with them. I went through a tough time and once I opened up to a few close friends I was floored by how many people I know who have gone through similar struggles.

My pcp also gave me a list of therapists she thought might be a good fit. A pcp visit is also a good idea to rule out medical conditions that might be contributing like thyroid issues.

You may also want to talk with your insurance company. Ours coordinates therapy referrals through a central office and the staff seem to have a good sense of provider specialties.

If you attend a church or religious group the staff there might also have some helpful resources.

PunkyBoo
09-15-2015, 03:52 PM
PP gave good advice. Also check if you or your spouse's employer offers an EAP. You can call them and they can help find a referral.

mikala
09-15-2015, 04:33 PM
You also asked about other things that may help in addition to therapy. If it isn't too overwhelming to even think about it I'd also consider regular exercise/yoga/walks outside, overall diet (affects digestion and we all tend to feel crappy when we aren't giving our bodies good nutrition), a good sleep routine--bedtime at a consistent time/limit caffeine after a certain time in the afternoon/etc and also start taking a Vitamin D supplement.

I'd also look at your obligations and see where you can cut back or say no. For example I love to cook from scratch but we definitely do more frozen meals when I'm overwhelmed. The PTO doesn't need me for every event. I can send store bought cookies instead of something homemade for the bake sale, or just write a donation check and skip it altogether. I don't have to volunteer for every school field trip. My kids will live if they buy hot lunch instead of a homemade lunch when life is especially crazy. I can choose to opt out of some family or friend drama and interact more with people that don't drain me.

Housework was a stressor for awhile so we budgeted for someone to clean the house every few weeks. I still had to put things away, clear counters and floors so she could clean but the feeling of coming home to a tidy house is kinda magical when you're used to always struggling to complete household chores during waking hours and things are never all clean at once. I totally realize it's a splurge but if you can afford it that may be useful.

You don't have to change everything at once by any means but small changes might help you slowly feel better overall.

MamaInMarch
09-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I will be using all of them.

pinkmomagain
09-18-2015, 07:56 PM
You can also look up therapists in your area on Psychology Today and read their profiles/check out their websites. Many will offer a free phone consult for 15 minutes or so so you can ask them questions and get a feel. Rapport is one of the best indicators of outcomes so finding a good match is important. And after giving someone a try for a couple of sessions if you are not really feeling it, keep searching! Good luck!