PDA

View Full Version : Feeling free!

Globetrotter
09-15-2015, 10:45 PM
I didn't want this to get lost in the other thread, but I emptied out our guest closet and 60% of the stuff will be donated or recycled (like all those empty Boden boxes And bags I saved - for what? The bags really do biodegrade- some of them were disintegrating!). I am giving away classic children's books I had saved to friends who wanted them, aside from The few really hard to find treasures. Now that I have the new konmari philosophy, I had the courage to purge items that I had "organized"
But never used all these years, including garment bags and extra cloth bags. Then there's dd's immense groovy girl collection. It's been there so long that one of the pleather outfits fell apart! I'm Donating humidifiers that we haven't used in years, including the extra one I bought on target clearance, never used. I'm Giving away lots of brand new children's clothing aNd other gifts to the shelter- leftovers from my "deals" when I used to buy extras for gifts. And i haven't even started the closet that contains the remaining borders $1 and gifting grace deals! I've given away and used lots of the items, but there's more left- it's time to get rid of all but a few.

I'm Only keeping the stuff I actually use and giving tons to someone I know who helps new low-income immigrants settle.

And this is just the beginning! I now have space! I was thinking of moving to a bigger house to get an extra room, but I now realize our house is not the problem (it's quite big for CA standards). It's all the crap. I don't need to move, after all!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, over the past few years, I've curtailed the accumulation. I am very picky about what I let into the house.

If you haven't tried it, you should!!

jennilynn
09-16-2015, 12:19 AM
Good job! I love the Konmari philosophy. It really was life changing for me too. I also kept lots of empty bags and boxes (and jars etc.) I also tended to keep the old item when replacing it, like a blender, hair dryer, etc. Never needed any of that stuff.

baymom
09-16-2015, 12:24 AM
What a great update of your decluttering journey! Now I'm feeling inspired to take on a closet this weekend, too. :)

citymama
09-16-2015, 01:45 AM
Yay, this is inspiring me! Congrats!

jgenie
09-16-2015, 06:03 AM
Congrats!! I'm working my way through our house and I have to say the areas I've done make me smile every time I see them.

KrisM
09-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Great job! It's nice to hear from people actually doing this!

TwoBees
09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm intrigued. What's the Konmari philosophy? I am awful at decluttering and can use all the help I can get. :bag

jennilynn
09-16-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm intrigued. What's the Konmari philosophy? I am awful at decluttering and can use all the help I can get. :bag

Check out the book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Basically you evaluate items in your home by category (all shoes, all books, etc) rather than by room. And you only keep what "sparks joy." Sounds a bit hokey but it works!