PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for NOTHING youtube!! the PAW PATROLLER? Wha??

wallawala
09-21-2015, 12:14 AM
Seriously, we don't watch TV in our house for a reason! DD was unsupervised on the iPad for less than 5 minutes. The one link from DD's first grade teacher's website led to youtube, and then to an ad for the Paw Patrol "Paw Patroller". Basically $60 of junky plastic (or $99 if you want to get it on Ebay). The barbie mobile home with puppy stickers basically. DD has only seen paw patrol while at her cousin's house last xmas, but now... ALL DAY LONG she talks about that toy!

AGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

(I guess there are WAY, WAY worse things she could have clicked on youtube, so counting my blessings, but I just want to sic Barney or Mr Rodgers on whoever created that apparently very effective ad).

And if any of you own it, and can tell me it's really not as craptasic as it looks, I'd appreciated it!!! I have a bad feeling it will worm it's way into our home.

PZMommy
09-21-2015, 12:42 AM
My boys find all sorts of toys on youtube, and I just tell them that they are no longer available.

tmahanes
09-21-2015, 01:07 AM
From a house that has several Paw Patrol toys they are a crappily made as they appear. They have gotten lots of play but are flimsy and don't stay together well. The Lookout is horrible but B loves it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
09-21-2015, 08:07 AM
My boys find all sorts of toys on youtube, and I just tell them that they are no longer available.

I would totally do this.

rkold
09-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Anything is better than that DisneyCollectorBR or whatever her name is. All she does is open up toys and play with them. It's awful. We found her when we were looking for episodes of Hello Kitty and instead found her playing with Hello Kitty and play-doh, which then convinced DD she needed play-doh to use with her Hello Kitty toys.

Just looked up the Paw Patroller, and I have to say, that looks much junkier than the Barbie Motorhome I use to own. I actually use to be able to sit on mine and ride it around.

basil
09-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Yeah, didn't you know that adults opening and playing with toys and posting videos of it is a thing? :)

DS LOVES these videos. Sometimes he plays with his toys and pretends to be that person. "So here is a really cool Superman figure. You can move his legs around, you can move his arms around. He is wearing an awesome cape." etc.

tmahanes
09-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Yeah, didn't you know that adults opening and playing with toys and posting videos of it is a thing? :)

DS LOVES these videos. Sometimes he plays with his toys and pretends to be that person. "So here is a really cool Superman figure. You can move his legs around, you can move his arms around. He is wearing an awesome cape." etc.
Yes... I think they are creepy as hell but B loves those videos. He also does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MamaMolly
09-21-2015, 01:04 PM
OP both my girls have a wish list on pinterest. I have no idea why it works, but pinning an item onto their board seems to satisfy that immediate I want, I want, I want. If they keep asking for something for a LOOOOONG time then I will consider it. But I find they tend to move on quickly. :)

trentsmom
09-21-2015, 01:54 PM

My DS does this, too!

AngB
09-21-2015, 09:11 PM

:yeahthat: Some of them are seriously raking in big money. The genius of the marketing hit me when we were walking through Target a few months ago and DS1 (4), says excitedly, "Hey! It's Joy and Mr.---" (whatever that thing's name was), as we were walking through an aisle. He's never seen that movie, or even a trailer for that movie, but he's seen stuff about it on YouTube and managed to learn the characters' names. Not that he could be bothered to learn his preschool classmates names.

And then there was the proud parenting moment when a friend brought a gift over for newborn DS3 and DS1 asked excitedly if he could "unbox" it for him (fyi, when they open the toys and play with them, they are called unboxing videos.)

I have seen the Paw Patroller at Target and was not impressed. The lookout tower is AWFUL.

PZMommy
09-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Add my boys to the list of kids who love to watch the unboxing videos and all the toy review videos. They also love to pretend to make their own, and my DS wants to be on youtube. lol

For me the worst ones are the easter eggs wrapped in play dough that have some stupid trinket inside. I ended up buying a bunch of easter eggs on clearance, and my kids love to put stuff in there, wrap them in play dough and then pretend to open them.

ladysoapmaker
09-22-2015, 04:07 AM
Dd#1 watches the unboxing videos of a young lady (about 11 or 12) who goes to the AG Doll store all the time. Luckily we agree she's a spoiled brat. But seriously it's annoying....

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

echoesofspring
09-26-2015, 11:00 AM
This thread was hilarious and so reassuring! It's impossible to pull the kids away from those unboxing videos if we accidentally stumble on them. Last year DS was mesmerized by someone building a hello kitty gingerbread house. The real crack for my son though are r/c helicopter reviews. He pretends to do his own review using his helicopters. Glad to hear he's not the only one parroting these videos!

To the original BP i'd be super annoyed. And yes as far as I can tell Paw Patrol toys are made as cheaply as they look!