PDA

View Full Version : Dress for charity event

Chitowngirl
09-21-2015, 06:43 AM
We are going to a charity event on Fri night for my DH's work. Unfortunately since everything is being communicated through him I know little about it except that it's an auction for cancer and that the invitation doesn't say it's black tie.

I have limited options in my own closet due to massive weight fluctuations the past few years and I don't want to buy anything new unless I absolutely have to. With the little we know about the event would this dress be appropriate? My DH (who knows nothing about women's fashions) is concerned it is too daytime. The material is chiffon in case that helps. Thanks.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/21/2aff44ccc7469521a4958cb20709c68e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2015, 07:55 AM
It wouldn't be my pick. Sorry! I don't necessarily think too daytime but the cut and color are throwing me off. I'd lean to a LBD.

mikala
09-21-2015, 08:16 AM
It wouldn't be my pick. Sorry! I don't necessarily think too daytime but the cut and color are throwing me off. I'd lean to a LBD.
I agree. It doesn't fit what I think of for an event like that in early fall.

acmom
09-21-2015, 09:05 AM
What is your DH wearing? Can you google the event and see if they have any pics from previous years? I agree that a little black dress would almost always be a safe bet for an event like that.

Chitowngirl
09-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the advice. I knew it wasn't the best option, but it was the only option that I already owned and that fit. Blah - now to find a new dress. I'm open to suggestions. Online is best cause I don't have a lot of time. I also don't want to spent a ton of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2015, 01:41 PM
If you want a nice quality dress, you could do Rent the Runway.

If you just want a serviceable dress, I know you don't want to go to the store but TJ Maxx and Marshalls often have really wearable and convenient dresses. I'm a big fan of the Lauren brand sheath dresses. I can usually find them in the $30-50 range and they have become my go-to, quick grab dresses for occasions like this. Another idea is Dress Barn. I hadn't been in one before but they had a really cute dress in the window last winter that lured me in. It was like a treasure trove of inexpensive, totally fine dresses.

This from Kohl's (I know that this cut and brand are really flattering. It'll work with you through weight fluctuations) http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1905379/chaps-splatter-pleated-sheath-dress-womens.jsp
They likely have that in a bunch of colors and patterns at the store. Size down.

If the event is on a Friday night, do scope out what people have worn in the past. Sometimes people go right from work and therefore something like a wrap dress with sleeves would be fine, vs limited to cocktail attire.

essnce629
09-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Another vote for Rent The Runway! I use it for pretty much every event I go to now-- weddings, DH's work events, etc. LOVE them!