PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your stove top?

jgenie
09-21-2015, 09:31 PM
How often do you clean your stove top? Not just quick wiping up spills but a thorough cleaning.

SnuggleBuggles
09-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Never. I just don't care. The stuff under the burner doesn't affect the food safety. And, once it gets all burned looking, the color is uniform so I don't notice. :)

BDKmom
09-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Typically every 1-2 weeks, depending on how often I'm cooking.

khalloc
09-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Never. I just don't care. The stuff under the burner doesn't affect the food safety. And, once it gets all burned looking, the color is uniform so I don't notice. :)

Thank you! This is me.

vludmilla
09-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Well, I never really clean more than spills but our cleaning person does a very thorough job every two weeks. If it were up to me, I suppose I would do a more thorough cleaning sometimes but not that often ;)

baymom
09-21-2015, 09:54 PM
It gets done every 2 weeks when the cleaners do it. I do a quick wipe every night. We have an electric induction cooktop, so we can't let get really dirty, or else the spilled stuff will smoke when we turn on a burner.

Zukini
09-21-2015, 09:59 PM
Well, I never really clean more than spills but our cleaning person does a very thorough job every two weeks. If it were up to me, I suppose I would do a more thorough cleaning sometimes but not that often ;)

:yeahthat:

Indianamom2
09-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Typically every 1-2 weeks, depending on how often I'm cooking.

This is me too. Though it's probably closer to the 2 week mark. We have cast iron grates all the way across the stove top, so it takes some effort to find a place for them (they're too big for my sink) and then scrub everything.

lalasmama
09-21-2015, 10:27 PM
We have a glass-top range, so we clean up general spills when they happen. Once a week we usually do a thorough cleaning with the glass-top-cleaner stuff.

khm
09-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Years ago, we had a lame electric coil stove top with lame silver drip pans. I tried to keep them clean for awhile. I eventually gave up when I realized how cheap new BLACK drip pans are. Ha.

Then, we got a new electric glass smooth-top. It was mirror black and just such a pain to keep clean. It was horrible! It'd get scrubbed with all sorts of different products all the time to try and keep it from looking like a hot mess (ha!). I vowed I'd never have another.

Until we moved and had another. ;) This one, is also black, but not mirror black. There's a bit of a speckly texture to it. It is EASY to clean. I never spend any amount of time on it and it looks showroom-level clean. There is zero need to "thoroughly clean" it, it would look no different! Once in awhile if something cooks over and scorches, it needs a bit of elbow grease, but that is literally the only time I spend more than 30 seconds on it.

I've never had a gas stovetop, so for that I cannot say.

roobee
09-21-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't think we do much in the way of wiping up spills. I usually just let it completely go until it bothers me. Can be a few days or a few weeks. I've been on top of it lately though (every few days). When we had a housekeeper a few years back she just threw my drip pans away rather than clean them - it was a junky old stove. A few months after that we bought a new stove because I didn't want to spring for $40 +shipping to replace the hard to find drip pans :)

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

essnce629
09-21-2015, 10:58 PM
I wipe the whole stove top off every night after loading the dishwasher and our housekeeper cleans it once a week as well. I don't really let anything sit on it for more than a day so it never really needs a deep clean. Vinegar and water is all I use daily and sometimes my housekeeper will use a little bit of Bar Keepers Friend powder.

Liziz
09-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Until we moved and had another. ;) This one, is also black, but not mirror black. There's a bit of a speckly texture to it. It is EASY to clean. I never spend any amount of time on it and it looks showroom-level clean. There is zero need to "thoroughly clean" it, it would look no different! Once in awhile if something cooks over and scorches, it needs a bit of elbow grease, but that is literally the only time I spend more than 30 seconds on it.

This is me.

minnie-zb
09-22-2015, 07:03 AM
We have a glass top stove and I clean it before every use (or after use), but typically before using as it's cool at that time. If I don't, then anything on the top gets worse and more difficult to clean.

KrisM
09-22-2015, 07:24 AM
I have a glass top and it's easy to clean, so I do it most times after I cook.

JBaxter
09-22-2015, 07:59 AM

This is us too. It takes 2 minutes after the top is cool

Ms B
09-22-2015, 10:50 AM
I voted other. We have a six burner gas range. My housekeeper does a thorough clean (grids off, burner tops cleaned, etc.) every other week. How often I clean generally is a function of how dirty DH makes it. He has been doing a lot of pan cooking lately (steak, veal parm, these eggplant fritters that we love and only make twice a year) and that gets the stove filthy so that I have to pull everything off and go to town (not to mention that the floor gets oily, so I have to swiffer that afterwards as well).

I would love suggestions on a splatter guard that works well, does not take up too much space in the dishwasher, and will not melt or be destroyed if The Biscuit tries to use it as a tennis racket.

Binkandabee
09-22-2015, 01:06 PM
We have a black glass top, so we have to clean it everytime we use it or it just looks gross. Before our glass top, though, we had a coil stove with drip pans and I very, very rarely cleaned those. I did wipe the spills on top, but didn't do a thing underneath. The drip pans were sort of hidden underneath the coils, so it didn't bother me. The glass top though is VERY visible and shows even the slightest fingerprint or smudge.

lizzywednesday
09-22-2015, 02:30 PM
I should probably clean mine more often, but I manage to do it every 4-6 months. I'm more inclined to clean it more often if something boils over than just a minor splatter, though.

It's just a nuisance, which is why I don't bother cleaning it often. My countertops, on the other hand, are getting a LOT more attention lately.

ETA: I have a gas stovetop. I hate electric.

calebsmama03
09-22-2015, 02:33 PM

Same. I hate the way the glass tops look when there's crud on them so I clean it pretty much every time. I voted once a day, though, because usually after dinner when I'm done with dishes I scrub it well and dry it so it isn't cloudy and gross looking. Other times I just wipe with a sponge to get spills.

squimp
09-22-2015, 02:57 PM
I have gas burners too and it's pretty involved to deep clean, so I don't do it very often. I wipe it down often but I just recently figured out how to take it apart and clean it.

I was at a party once and their glass top stove shattered into a million pieces while cooking during the party!