PDA

View Full Version : What is 'cocktail attire'?

mm123
09-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Please help me- I am absolutely clueless when it come to fashion, I hate shopping, and really don't own a lot of clothes.

We got an invitation to a bar mitzvah party, and it says 'cocktail attire'. I really don't want to have to go shopping, and am hoping something I already own may be appropriate. I own 2 simple black sleeveless dresses. One is just above the knee, and the other is ankle length, with a slit up to the knee. Would one of these plain black dresses be appropriate? Could I just buy a sparkly scarf/shawl to go with one of them? Or a necklace of some sort?

Or, does cocktail attire mean I have to go out and by a really fancy, sparkly dress?

Excuse my ignorance- any help much appreciated!!

SnuggleBuggles
09-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Short little black dress and some accessories are fine. If skip the shawl/ scarf. I don't think they are necessary and I mostly only see older people wearing them at events.
If you go to a place like Charming Charlie's , they can hook you up with the right costume jewelry.

TwinFoxes
09-24-2015, 05:41 PM
What type of material is the shorter dress made of?

When I think cocktail attire, I think of a little black (or other) dress that I'd wear to a fancy dinner out.

twowhat?
09-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Pics of the dresses? Assuming the fabric is a dressier fabric (i.e. not jersey or something casual), I would think the short black dress would work - just add some heels and an awesome piece (or pieces) of jewelry.

essnce629
09-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Pics? And yes, cocktail is usually a shorter dress. Heels and nice jewelry should dress it up as long as it's not a summer daytime dress or anything.

You could always rent something. That's what I do for all of DH's work events, wedding, etc. I love Rent The Runway. Here's what comes up when you search under cocktail dresses: https://www.renttherunway.com/all/occasions/cocktailweddingdresses?nav_location=submenu&action=click_cocktailweddingdresses&object_type=top_nav

erosenst
09-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Agree with the others - nice jewelry, nice shoes and a nice bag with the short dress. If you have a nice necklace, wear that. If you want costume, agree with Charming Charlie. They have some cute handbags as well as jewelry.

mm123
09-25-2015, 06:32 AM
Thanks everyone- glad to hear I can wear the short black dress that I already own. I'll just buy a nice necklace to go with it.

A quick question- since a shawl/scarf isn't appropriate, what do you do if you're cold at an event like this? The men will be wearing suits, and I imagine the a/c may be pretty strong.

SnuggleBuggles
09-25-2015, 08:02 AM
You suck it up. :). If you'll be outside, you could take a cardigan. But, for an inside event, you just deal with it and, odds are, it'll be fine.

Philly Mom
09-25-2015, 09:00 AM
So I will disagree about the shawl. I would wear a black dress and bring a pashmina with color for warmth. I would not wear a cardigan. That screams work to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
09-25-2015, 09:09 AM
I was thinking a silky 3/4 sleeve one. But I really would only throw it on if truly desperate. :)

smilequeen
09-25-2015, 10:54 AM
So I will disagree about the shawl. I would wear a black dress and bring a pashmina with color for warmth. I would not wear a cardigan. That screams work to me.

I agree. A pretty scarf is far better than a cardigan if you get cold. I just wouldn't wear it unless I was cold.

A little black dress is perfect. I'd just do statement jewelry and nice shoes and perfect.

SnuggleBuggles
09-25-2015, 11:19 AM
I truly can't recall the last person under 50 I saw where a scarf type thing but maybe I am just unobservant or maybe it just really differs where you are (as evidenced on many, many posts here, the country is a very big place :)). I could just be super wrong and unfashionable too. ;)

erosenst
09-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Huh. I was going to say people wear evening wraps/shawls all the time. But then I went to look for a picture of what I had in mind and couldn't find one.

So either people have had theirs forever and still wear them around here...or my Google skills have suddenly failed me :).

wendibird22
09-25-2015, 01:35 PM

I've done this for cocktail events and tie the pashmina behind me so that it fits sort of like a shrug.

Ms B
09-26-2015, 05:00 PM
I wear shawls with my LBDS at evening events all the time. I find that they do not read "old" or casual if they are in evening fabrics as opposed to wool or a knit.

I have a half dozen double faced silk wraps in different color combos (baby pink and rose, midnight and silver blue, red and orange, etc.) that fit in my evening bag and liven up a outfit. I also have a black silk Burberry evening wrap that has silver woven into a stripe pattern that always gets lots of compliments. If an event is dressier, then I bust out a vintage fur stole (rabbit or golden mink).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk