PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried about this?

Aishe
09-24-2015, 10:43 PM
DS came down with a fever and mild respiratory symptoms on Tuesday afternoon. He was very droopy that day, but he is steadily improving and at this point you can barely tell he's sick. (I had to tell him to stop jumping on the couch earlier today.) He has asthma so I have him doing Qvar twice a day, but his cough is very slight. Yesterday he started complaining that his neck hurts and he says it's not getting better. He is definitely referring to his neck and not his throat. If I ask him to touch his chin to his chest he can do it, but he says it hurts. His temp is improving - today's high is 100.3, down from 102 on Tuesday.

Thoughts? Does he need to see the doctor? He would be a lot sicker if it was meningitis (and not improving), wouldn't he? I'm wondering if he slept on it funny or if he's just got some muscle aches from being sick, but of course it's so hard to say.

PZMommy
09-24-2015, 10:45 PM
I think with menegitis, he would have a much higher fever, and would be getting worse, not better. His neck may be sore from coughing, or just sleeping weird if he was congested.

petesgirl
09-25-2015, 12:39 AM
My 4 yr old has a cough and stuffy nose and apparently told DH today that the outside of his neck hurt. But, like your child, DS bounces around just fine most of the day. I think it's probably nothing to worry about.... But I'll admit I thought meningitis as well.

daisysmom
09-25-2015, 11:44 AM
I had meningitis a few years ago, and was much much sicker. Honestly, I don't recall my neck hurting at all. But the headaches, fever, and the inability to even keep a sip of gatoraid down without throwing up. There is no bouncing on the couch with meningitis. The doctor had me try to touch my chin to my chest and that is a tell tale sign that you can't do it (bc of too much spinal fluid).

ahisma
09-25-2015, 12:25 PM
I had meningitis a few years ago also and most definitely could not tough my chin to my chest, although I had no idea that I couldn't until they asked me to. I was miserable, sicker than I've ever been. My DH could barely get me to the ER because it was just so hard for me to get to the car and the car ride (all of 4 blocks) was completely unbearable for me. I don't remember neck pain specifically, but I did think that I had a migraine - everything hurt, especially my head.

Aishe
09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks, all. He said his neck was feeling "a little good" (translation: better) this morning so I sent him to school. I'm sorry for those of you who have had meningitis. That sounds absolutely awful!!