PDA

View Full Version : alone in a quiet house!

♥ms.pacman♥
09-26-2015, 07:02 PM
i am 37 years old and i think the last time i ever had a weekend alone at home was maybe when i was 30 years old and was DH traveling for work..but that was before kids (read: blissfully ignorant) so it doesn't count :)

after a rather stressful summer (selling our house, building new house, living in temp housing, moving twice) plus DS starting school (and DD starting at a new daycare), i felt like i have been rather overwhelmed, tired, and pretty much living and breathing for the weekends. so i told DH i didn't want to go to the ILs this weekend (6+ hr drive away) bc it would just be too much for me. He said ok but I could tell he was a bit bummed and he really wanted me to go. at first, all day yesterday at work i started feeling super guilty about not going, especially bc that morning the kids kept asking why i wasn't going with them and seemed sad at first. i don't travel for work really and the kids have never gone on a trip without both of us there so it was strange to them. and also the trip was to go to my nieces' bday party so i felt like i was being selfish and skimping out on family obligations. however, i honestly felt so exhausted and the last thing i wanted to do this weekend was spend 12+ hrs in a car, eat fast food the entire time, and deal with overstimulated kids and come home to an empty fridge and have like 2 hours to unpack, and do the 5,349 chores/errands we have to cram in before the week starts. plus i would have had to find time in there to make up a few hours of work that i would have to miss for leaving early on Friday.

however, later yesterday i got caught up with work stuff/meetings which was good bc i didn't have to worry about rushing home early. i went to happy hour with coworkers (and had a great time, not worrying about rushing home or whatever). cleaned the house. went to yoga class. went running. did laundry. went grocery shopping and now i'm off to cook several paleo meals from scratch. yes, i kinda miss the kids, but wow, this is pretty damn awesome. don't know if i'll do it again any time soon but it is cool just to have the experience. :)

anyway, just wanted to give other mamas here a nudge. i think we really need to start speaking up and saying we need a break, or whatever..bc imo WE DESERVE IT. everybody else will be ok (our families/kids will be better for it, even!) :) i hate that society in general (and ironically, ESPECIALLY other moms!) always views dads as deserving of breaks/alone time but somehow moms are not supposed to deserve it, or want it, or they can't bc everything will go to pot, or they are supermom and can handle it, or whatever. I call BS on that one. ;) i hear ALL THE TIME about dads/husbands getting the weekends off alone (while mom takes kids to relatives' out of town or whatever) but i don't think i've ever heard any other mom say they had the whole weekend to themselves while the dad took the kids! (talk about a double standard!) i know there are lots of excuses and even i was reluctant at first (could DH handle it all? would the kids miss me?). DH said the trip there went well (DS slept half the time!) and just texted me with pics showing the kids having a blast at the party playing with their cousins (as i knew deep-down they would :)). i felt so bad earlier in the week for not going, but i don't feel lick of guilt now. i feel my sanity coming back, so that is good :)

So yeah, on to the next hurdle...being able to go on a couples vacation with DH! :eek: hopefully in a couple years...i may need to convince the DH on this one...

gymnbomb
09-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Good for you! Enjoy, you deserve it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
09-26-2015, 07:17 PM
Congrats!

I've gone on lots of girls only weekends and the husbands hold down the forts just fine. ETA- I think we way undersell our partners when we think they can't do it. I used to reach a clear breaking point every year, just about, where I needed to be alone. Dh was always happy to oblige. I did get into the mode of girls weekends and neglected traveling solo with dh. We used to do that annually but we recently went 5 years without doing it. In short order though, we will get to go away together twice since June. It's really nice!

I guess I've never had trouble asking for and getting a break. I definitely encourage people to do it. Also, if you're super stressed to be without the kids, just give it a try. Maybe it isn't for you but maybe it will be. :)

ETA- I glossed over the joy that is a quiet house all to yourself. No need to travel! And, I was always ok with even a few hours solo. I used to have dh take the kids out for a few hours every Sunday- it was lovely! I almost always wound up cleaning but at least no one was immediately messing it up. :)

jgenie
09-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Way to go!! I've been a SAHM for almost eight yrs. DS2 started kindly this year and I can't believe how awesome it is to be in my house alone!! I love it and have been guarding my time. I'll start volunteering soon but for now I'm being selfish and taking some time for me. Enjoy your weekend!!

Green_Tea
09-26-2015, 08:30 PM
I think time to yourself is incredibly important, so bravo to you! I see many moms who play the martyr card - and nobody wins.

I also think it's incredibly important that kids see their dads as capable of taking care of them (and equally important that dads HAVE the experience of caring for their children.)

lalasmama
09-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Enjoy the quiet house!

I started doing mommy weekends about 4 years ago. I find myself looking forward more and more to them!

I agree we do ourselves a great disservice by making moms feel like they need to be "on" 24/7 (especially SAHPs!)... The rejuvenation that occurs with my mommy weekends recharges me for all the upcoming moments that I can't "tag out."

♥ms.pacman♥
09-26-2015, 11:16 PM
I think time to yourself is incredibly important, so bravo to you! I see many moms who play the martyr card - and nobody wins.

I also think it's incredibly important that kids see their dads as capable of taking care of them (and equally important that dads HAVE the experience of caring for their children.)

YES, i totally agree..forgot to mention this in the original post, but i totally was thinking this today. I think it is so important for the kids to see that they can do lots of things with daddy, that he is capable caretaker and the world won't end if i'm not there. and i also think it's important for kids to see mom as a human being who has an identity/obligations outside her kids. this is another reason why i think it is awesome when people go on couples' vacations...i think it's very good (i would say necessary!) for kids to see their own parents go out alone together and get an example for a happy marriage (i soo did not have this as a kid!!). unlike most husbands, DH is not as gung-ho on this couples vacation thing as i am (he is a super paranoid person, and worries something would happen to us while we were gone)..though hopefully within a couple years i can knock some sense into him! :)

and i have never done a mom's weekend though when i was a SAHM i would have done anything to go on one (since my kids are so close together, i was nursing a baby for a couple years straight so i never felt like i could), and i counted down the days until moms' nights out. now that i am working and get a ton of social interaction with coworkers i usually feel less of a need to do MNO's though every now and then i just want a few hours of silence where i'm not having to fetch something for someone and not hearing someone whining or begging for attention. it seriously drains my energy to have to do things like cook, clean, grocery shop all the while my DC's are whining/complaining about how i'm not doing something right.

belovedgandp
09-27-2015, 12:01 AM
There's something lovely about being alone in your own home.

I'm a SAHM and through the years have regularly made time for MNO and dates with DH. We've managed two vacations on our own and thank you Grandma for averaging 10 or so overnight visits per year. I've snuck away for a few girls weekends with college or mom friends also over the last 10 years.

While those are all glorious to recharge the batteries they do take work. For as capable as DH is with the kids; he still needs at least a few sets of instructions before I leave and there will always be work to be done when I come home.

But I've had a few of those beautiful times solo in MY house and I do treasure those also. It's different to just be in the house and do those things that just don't get done when others are around. DH takes the kids camping a couple times per year and I love those weekends by myself.

DH worked from home for six months when DC2 was an infant. The first day he was back in an office and I dropped DC1 off at pre-school was splendid.

StantonHyde
09-27-2015, 12:23 AM
OMG--so jealous right now!! I do go away for a week long backpacking trip every year. But I have NEVER had 24 hours alone in my own home. DH would take the kids to see MIL when *I* was out of town. You are livin' the dream. Don't feel 1" guilty. Not. at. all.

We all need to recharge and that means more than a once a month mom's night out or a weekly Target run!!!!!!!