PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Tiguan?

lovebebes
09-27-2015, 04:57 AM
Does anyone here drive this car? What do you like/dislike about it? I need to decide on which car we should be getting for me because i am at the end of lease. Currently I drive a Honda Civic hybrid. My main driving duties are the kids to school/groceries/errands etc. I stay off the fwy. I really love the way my car drives (minus the backing up which is hard because i am convinced i cant see well out of the rear windshield) but I would like something that feels a bit more solid. My car just feels so....light. Dh had a pilot in the past and I loved it but there is no way I could drive something that huge. I need it to stay small, but would love to be higher up off the ground so I can see better.

PS I am a moron when it comes to cars :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-27-2015, 06:01 AM
I've never driven one, but after owning 2 Volkswagens and a few Hondas, I won't buy another VW. Have you test-driven a Honda CR-V? I think you would be most happy with one long-term. Great space inside, but not huge, and you're higher up, so you can see better. Feels more solid than a civic b/c it is, and the ride is great.

SnuggleBuggles
09-27-2015, 08:17 AM
I can't say I've ever heard anything good about it.

blisstwins
09-27-2015, 08:22 AM
I can't say I've ever heard anything good about it.

We have a 2014 accord and CRV. I was opposed to the CRV, but now my husband and I fight over who gets to drive it. I love the trunk and being higher up, but it feels like a car. Both are excellent, affordable options.

This may be reactionary, but VW disgusts me now.

Corie
09-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Have you not heard about the huge Volkswagen scandal going on?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-volkswagen-scandal.html

AnnieW625
09-27-2015, 11:05 AM
The Tiguan doesn't have a diesel in it and it is a VW so I wouldn't buy it, non diesel VWs are notorious for having issues, especially non base model automatics, even the diesel automatics are more finicky than the manual ones.. Even with all of the VW scandal going on I still love driving my diesel. VW released new software recently and replaced an emissions sensor in my gas tank at no charge for me a few weeks ago when my check engine light went on. My independent mechanic had thought it would cost $1900 to fix. A few months ago VW did send owners a reimbursement notice in the mail requesting that owners submit receipts for any kind of work they had done on their cars regarding emissions. I think they knew this was coming, and was part of the reason I got my car fixed with basically no questions asked even though I was out of the 36k mile warranty (my car has 45k miles on it). OP I would consider the BMW 3 wagon or the Mercedes GLA if you want European. When I test drove the CRV a few years ago I didn't like the lack of visibility out the back window (and the silver detailing of the back end of the CRV (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/11/2015-honda-cr-v-gets-a-dramatic-makeover/index.htm) below the window on the 2015 looks like a tramp stamp, it just bothers me.....but overall if the back window visibility, and the detailing don't bother you than it is a great car for a great price).

I do have to say my Passat is one solid well built car, the doors thud when I close them and the interior material nice and solid. While I would prefer cloth seating to the leatherette that is standard on all base models now (except the Golf, I think) I am very happy with my car. We have a Honda Pilot too and had an Accord prior to that so making the switch from Honda I thought was going to be tough wasn't.

My DH says the main cars effected are the Jetta, Jetta Sport Wagen, Beetle, and the Golf because they don't have the urea injection and he says that the emissions issue is based on non urea injection emissions.

ellies mom
09-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Yeah, the non-diesel VWs just aren't as good as the diesel ones. Right now I wouldn't buy any VW until I have a better idea on what the fall-out from the emissions scandal is going to be.

We have a Passat TDI too. We love the car but my husband is furious about all of this. Even though the car has the urea system, it is probably still going to effect the resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovebebes
09-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Have you not heard about the huge Volkswagen scandal going on?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/22/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-volkswagen-scandal.html

lol. see! this is why i need to ask questions here. Because i live in a cave and well, it is nice when people from outside the cave tell you whats going on.:rotflmao:

I have not heard of this but WOW. Thank you, very interesting.

lovebebes
09-27-2015, 01:07 PM
Annie, thank you! I am in LA too :) so lots of stop and go. The Tiguan I would get is the TDI. We too have a tdi Passat-well, DH drove it for about two years and now moved on to the Audi of his dreams, so my dad started driving the passat. My dad and I both have Hondas coming to end of lease now in Oct, but dad is set with Passat now, and I feel very comfortable with him driving my kids in it which he does often. Passat is super solid, I know bec the few times I would have to repark it for dh i would be very displeased ;) - after my honda hybrid I felt like I was trying to get a sleeping dragon off the ground and it was drunk and wouldn't listen. Clearly you shan't toggle between a tdi passat and honda civic hybrid.
It would be in my best interests to get a honda after turning in two hondas, we have a nice relationship with this dealership-however this is not the first time I hear about not great visibility from the back of the CRV and this is super important to me. Currently I feel like I am always half guessing when I am backing up. Also, my car does not have any fancy cameras to show me what I am doing-so perhaps if I have one of those I wont care as much about seeing back there-though I am too anal to let this one go I think. Why choose to not see when I can choose to see? LOL. And I am looking into your suggestions for the bmw and the mercedes, i shall explore those!

And thanks to everyone else about your feedback, i am so glad i asked, you are all very helpful! I had dismissed the CRV in my head but maybe i should look at it anyway.

legaleagle
09-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Maybe look at the Mazda CX-5 or RAV4

newnana
09-27-2015, 01:26 PM
I had a Tiguan and loved it. I'm 5'2" and the visibility and sitting higher up with the maneuverability of a smaller car was exactly what I wanted. It had a responsive engine, tight turning radius and handled very well for the purposes you described.

I would buy another, especially if I was looking for a bargain, as VW will take an initial hit with the current scandal and the fall out to the other brands (that all have admitted to doing the same as VW) will not be as hard as they will likely take preemptive measures to their vehicles as it was VW that was the first one caught.

I do not like the Tig as much at higher speeds. The Audi is much smoother and quieter for that type of ride. Higher speeds I'm referring to are 75+. Once I started to have to consistently do that to keep up with traffic once we moved, I loved my car less.

I would recommend.

o_mom
09-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Also, my car does not have any fancy cameras to show me what I am doing-so perhaps if I have one of those I wont care as much about seeing back there-though I am too anal to let this one go I think. Why choose to not see when I can choose to see? LOL. And I am looking into your suggestions for the bmw and the mercedes, i shall explore those!

And thanks to everyone else about your feedback, i am so glad i asked, you are all very helpful! I had dismissed the CRV in my head but maybe i should look at it anyway.

Backup camera makes a huge difference in visibility (obviously). We had one installed in our Odyssey because it had such poor visibility. I would not get a car without one again (and they should be standard now/soon).

hellokitty
09-27-2015, 02:56 PM
There are a lot of other options I'd look at. Honda CRV, Subaru has a few that are smaller (can't remember the name, but they sit up higher, I think that they look very sporty), Nissan Rogue, Mazda, Ford Escape (my friend has the lincoln version and it is really nice), Toyota Rav4 are a few that come to mind.

AnnieW625
09-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Another European option would be the Q5 with the TDI (not an option in 2013 when I bought my car..... and even if it was I would have had to wait a year or two to get one used). I would have loved the A6 All Road diesel wagon or at least a A4 diesel sedan but they still don't sell that here, the A3 was just a little tight (felt tighter than the Golf 4 door). I wonder if this scandal will impact the release of the Tiguan, I didn't know they were coming out with the Tighan diesel. If you can drive a manual get a manual! ;) .

If you don't drive a million miles a year consider the Subaru. I would love a Subaru again, but when my old Subaru died with 130k or so miles on it it made me really leary of Subarus and the same problems (cracked head gaskets, and malfunctioning catalytic converters....required for passing smog) that were happening with my 88 wagon were still happening with the 08-10 models and since we keep our cars forever we just couldn't take that chance of having issues at 90k miles, which for us would be about year 5 of the car.

I am not super concerned about resale because if all goes right we will be driving or VW until it has 300k+ miles and that is still middle age by diesel standards. I also bought it with the idea it would be Dd1's first car.

blisstwins
09-27-2015, 09:45 PM
the rearview mirror was standard on our base CRV 2014. I have not noticed a visibility issue at all.

Mommy_Mea
09-27-2015, 09:48 PM
I looked at the Tiguan when we were car shopping 6 years ago. It was SO fun to drive with the 1.8 Turbo engine. But the cargo space was super tiny, just not realistic for any sort of road trip or anything other than a stroller. That has always boggled my mind, what demographic were they going for with an SUV with no cargo room?

We ended up with a Jetta Sportwagen (not TDI), and it has been a great car, no issues for the past 6 years (knock on wood!).

I am pretty sure the Tiguan doesn't come with the TDI engine? It has the turbo, but not diesel.

AnnieW625
09-27-2015, 10:13 PM
the rearview mirror was standard on our base CRV 2014. I have not noticed a visibility issue at all.

It is the lack of visibility out of the back window in my opinion is one of the downsides of the 2012+ CRVs, not the rear view mirror.

I looked at the Tiguan when we were car shopping 6 years ago. It was SO fun to drive with the 1.8 Turbo engine. But the cargo space was super tiny, just not realistic for any sort of road trip or anything other than a stroller. That has always boggled my mind, what demographic were they going for with an SUV with no cargo room?

We ended up with a Jetta Sportwagen (not TDI), and it has been a great car, no issues for the past 6 years (knock on wood!).

I am pretty sure the Tiguan doesn't come with the TDI engine? It has the turbo, but not diesel.
The Tiguan is suppose to have a TDI for 2015/2016 (http://2015vehicles.com/volkswagen/2015-vw-tiguan-tdi-usa-release-date/), but I checked VW's website and you can't even build a VW with a diesel engine right now, they might have them on the lots, but they can't be sold in the US right now.

lovebebes
09-28-2015, 01:50 AM
It is the lack of visibility out of the back window in my opinion is one of the downsides of the 2012+ CRVs, not the rear view mirror.

The Tiguan is suppose to have a TDI for 2015/2016 (http://2015vehicles.com/volkswagen/2015-vw-tiguan-tdi-usa-release-date/), but I checked VW's website and you can't even build a VW with a diesel engine right now, they might have them on the lots, but they can't be sold in the US right now.

here i am in a cave again. i thought it was out? I could have sworn a recent cragislist buyer of a piece of furniture i sold had one and I asked them about it...dh was like come look at it this is the car we should get you. Hmmm so it wasnt tdi after all?...

this puts a damper on my excitement, was going to go on thursday to test drive. duh.

Looking at mazda online now, looks cool.

Mommy_Mea
09-28-2015, 09:16 AM
here i am in a cave again. i thought it was out? I could have sworn a recent cragislist buyer of a piece of furniture i sold had one and I asked them about it...dh was like come look at it this is the car we should get you. Hmmm so it wasnt tdi after all?...

this puts a damper on my excitement, was going to go on thursday to test drive. duh.

The TDI (in the re-designed Tiguan) is out in Europe, but I don't believe they were going to release it in the US until the release of the redesigned Tiguan for the 2017 model year. DH read something about this a few months ago, I vaguely recall what he told me, I can't find anything specific with a google search though.

AnnieW625
09-28-2015, 09:37 AM

They make a Tiguan TSI, I mistook it for a diesel as well at first. Car news changes all of the time though and release dates are often messed with in regards to new technology or new models. Rumors surrounded the release of the BMW diesel sedans for years (5, and 2nd gen. 3 series for years......DH actually drove the 5d in 2005 or 2006 for work and it didn't show up in the US until 2012) so who knows though, and with the scandal who knows how long VW/Audi won't be able to sell diesel cars in the US right now.

blisstwins
09-28-2015, 11:46 AM
I meant the review camera is standard on the CRV. The visibility on new models is not an issue at all. It is very easy to drive and pretty cheap for what it is.

lovebebes
09-28-2015, 12:56 PM

thanks. Oh well. Bye bye Tiguan (i hated your name from the start btw, you make me think of a weird lizard).

I have been doing my research albeit late at night when my brain isnt at its peak :) The first runner up currently is the Lexus NX, possibly sport. thank you all again so much!