PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend some TALK RADIO shows? Or something else to listen to...

Corie
09-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Can you recommend some Talk Radio shows? Or something else that I can listen
to while driving several hours every weekend to my daughter's show choir competitions?

I remember listening to Paul Harvey when I was young and I loved his "The Rest of the Story".

I don't want any books on tape. I find myself getting too involved in the story and not paying enough
attention to reading road signs. I don't want to end up in Wisconsin when I'm trying to
get to Indiana. That would not be good!

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

baymom
09-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Does NPR count as Talk Radio? It's my favorite station. The 'stories' are somewhat short and almost always very interesting.

khm
09-29-2015, 02:49 PM
Can you recommend some Talk Radio shows? Or something else that I can listen
to while driving several hours every weekend to my daughter's show choir competitions?

I remember listening to Paul Harvey when I was young and I loved his "The Rest of the Story".

I don't want any books on tape. I find myself getting too involved in the story and not paying enough
attention to reading road signs. I don't want to end up in Wisconsin when I'm trying to
get to Indiana. That would not be good!

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Podcasts? They have everything! Diet, entertainment, TV show wrap-ups, gossip.... NPR has a lot of podcasts, too. Maybe browse iTunes for top podcasts?

pinkmomagain
09-29-2015, 02:51 PM
I second podcasts. I am obsessed - better than TV, radio, or magazines.

mom_hanna
09-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and This American Life both on NPR and podcasts.

bisous
09-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Does NPR count as Talk Radio? It's my favorite station. The 'stories' are somewhat short and almost always very interesting.

Me too! My favorite. :)

mikala
09-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I'd use podcasts too. You can download a bunch if you have a smartphone or other device and then play them through your vehicle's audio system with Bluetooth or a cable.

For road trips I also like Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, This American Life, Science Friday, etc. Alton Brown also has a great podcast but I don't think it's been updated for awhile. Alec Baldwin does a celebrity interview one that can be interesting. I liked the Serial Podcast series but it isn't a good idea if you have little ears in the car because it focuses on the murder of a teenage girl.

Freakonomics has some interesting episodes as well.

Liziz
09-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Me too! My favorite. :)

I agree with the NPR suggestion! I don't miss the commute I had when I was working, but I miss listening to NPR every day!

belovedgandp
09-29-2015, 03:20 PM
Another loyal NPR listener here. Lots of interesting programs.

maestramommy
09-29-2015, 04:34 PM
NPR. I love Radio Lab, Science Friday, This American Life, Wait Wait don't tell me, TedX. I could go on....

LBW
09-29-2015, 05:46 PM
For car rides, we really like the Stuff You Missed in History Class podcasts. From NPR, This American Life, Radio Lab, and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me might be two good ones to start with. If you never listened to Serial, you could start with episode 1.

When the kids aren't listening, I like Slate's Culture Gabfest and Political Gabfest. I also like Satellite Sisters.

specialp
09-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and This American Life both on NPR and podcasts.

My 2 favorites. I loaded up Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me for a recent 10 hr drive and listened and laughed the entire time. Love that show! TAL I've listened to for shorter trips to the grandparents.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Sometimes I find This American Life way too depressing. I like Car Talk and Wait, Wait. I do some Slate ones sometimes.

Corie
09-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Are all these recommended shows considered podcasts listed under NPR? How do I get the podcasts? iTunes?

I've never downloaded a podcast before. Please explain it to me like you are talking to a child. I confuse easily. :)

khm
09-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Are all these recommended shows considered podcasts listed under NPR? How do I get the podcasts? iTunes?

I've never downloaded a podcast before. Please explain it to me like you are talking to a child. I confuse easily. :)

Do you have an iPhone? If so, then yes use iTunes. If Android I prefer Podcast Addict because you can speed up the playback. :-) you can browse through podcasts and subscribe to them through there. I'm in my phone, but will come back later.

BDKmom
09-29-2015, 10:05 PM

On an iPhone, download the Podcasts app (free). From there you can look through top charts or search.

I agree with a lot of the recs up thread. I listen to This American Life, Stuff You Should Know, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Planet Money, and Freakanomics. I also like all the Gimlet media stuff: Start Up, Mystery Show, and Reply All, but they tend to have some language, so probably not good with kids in the car.

Corie
09-30-2015, 07:35 AM
On an iPhone, download the Podcasts app (free). From there you can look through top charts or search.

I agree with a lot of the recs up thread. I listen to This American Life, Stuff You Should Know, Stuff You Missed in History Class, Planet Money, and Freakanomics. I also like all the Gimlet media stuff: Start Up, Mystery Show, and Reply All, but they tend to have some language, so probably not good with kids in the car.

It's okay if the podcasts have bad language. It will only be me in my car. My daughter will be on the bus with her show choir.

TwinFoxes
09-30-2015, 08:06 AM

They air on the radio, and then are available as podcasts. You can get back episodes too.

Here's a cute video TAL made to show people how to get the Serial podcast. If she can do it, so can you Corie!

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2014/10/our-new-show-is-up-it%E2%80%99s-launched

lizzywednesday
09-30-2015, 11:04 AM
I favor Lexicon Valley (title in iTunes or at Panoply is "Slate Presents Lexicon Valley") which is updated once per week. It's about language and does have the odd cuss word here & there.

I've also been enjoying Mom and Dad are Fighting (also from Slate) and my BFF likes Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me.

I find Slate's The Gist to be hit or miss and have been meaning to try 99% Invisible.

If you're searching iTunes, you need to move to the Podcasts area, then use the search box. Once you pull up the podcast, you should be able to click a "Subscribe" button under the title. It automatically downloads the newest episode, but you can set your preferences to add older ones. (I recommend that for Lexicon Valley and 99% Invisible, but something like The Gist is more current events-y.)

zukeypur
09-30-2015, 01:43 PM
I use the TuneIn radio app most of the time. I enjoy most of the NPR shows already mentioned, along with America's test Kitchen and the Splendid Table. I also love Tell Me More with John Fugelsang on XM Insight. It's on in our house every day from 1:00-4:00.

Corie
10-01-2015, 12:03 PM
Here's a cute video TAL made to show people how to get the Serial podcast. If she can do it, so can you Corie!

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2014/10/our-new-show-is-up-it%E2%80%99s-launched

Yesterday, while sitting in my car waiting for my daughter at her voice lesson, my son and I listened to a podcast! I was
talking to DS about podcasts and he said that his teacher sometimes plays them in class. So he knew all about them!
He pulled one up and we listened to one about vultures. :)
It was actually pretty good!

BDKmom
10-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Yesterday, while sitting in my car waiting for my daughter at her voice lesson, my son and I listened to a podcast! I was
talking to DS about podcasts and he said that his teacher sometimes plays them in class. So he knew all about them!
He pulled one up and we listened to one about vultures. :)
It was actually pretty good!

Yay! Welcome to the world of podcasts! I am hooked. I rarely listen to the actual radio or music at all anymore.