PDA

View Full Version : Need a sedan to fit 3 kids

melrose7
09-30-2015, 01:18 PM
DH truck decided to die on us when we really didn't need to take on a car payment but he needs a car to get to work and to be able to fit 3 kids. DD1 is using a seatbelt, DD2 is turbobooster and DS is in a radian but will go to a booster soon. We are looking at Ford Taurus. Trunk room not an issue. We are looking at older/cheaper cars to get us by a five years or so. Any others to look at?

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Check Accords. Well made and should fit what you need.

maestramommy
09-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Accords. We still get 2 HBB and a Radian in the back of my Accord.

melrose7
09-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks. I was looking at accords and the guy at the dealership said they were too small

vludmilla
09-30-2015, 01:59 PM
We have a 2013 Accord and I can fit three kids across the back (one in Graco Snugride, one in a seat belt, and one in a small booster seat).

Mommy_Mea
09-30-2015, 02:09 PM
We have a 2013 Accord and could easily fit three across in your situation. But not sure if they were much narrower in older models.

mikala
09-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Can I piggyback on this thread? I've been meaning to post something similar. DH is starting to search for a new sedan and we're expecting DC3 this winter. The baby will probably be in a Graco Snugride30, one kid in a Maestro and the oldest in either a Bubblebum or Ridesafer Vest in this vehicle. I'm open to going straight to a new rearfacing convertible for the baby if that is any narrower than the Infant seat.

We use a minivan for most family trips so the three across wouldn't be often but I do want a way to carry three across in case of emergency or car repairs. How tricky is it go fit three across when one rider is in something really narrow like the Bubblebum? Is this a slam dunk in most sedans or is it something we should really pay attention to?

WatchingThemGrow
09-30-2015, 09:15 PM
our 2001 Accord physically fit 3 across, but it was annoying if we had on coats, carried backpacks, lunchboxes, and a waterbottle. It started to make me sick to ride in it so cramped. We ended up buying a friend's used Acura MDX, as DH is involved and picks up DC and friends from the pool, soccer field, etc. We LOVE having the 3rd row, and it's only been a few weeks. With 3 active DC and lots of friends and neighbors, we really appreciate having a little more space in the 2nd vehicle. Just something to think about.

flashy09
09-30-2015, 09:39 PM
The Volvo XC70 fits 3 across and the older model Toyota Avalon has a massive backseat!

maestramommy
09-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks. I was looking at accords and the guy at the dealership said they were too small

The only way you'll know is if you actually try to install them in one of their models. We've gone to dealerships and tried the kids' seats in every car we looked at. Believe it or not, they fit in the back of a Fit. However, we have always been determined to make 3 across work so we shopped our carseats and boosters accordingly. It can be done if you're motivated enough. Now that we have an Ody, they still sit 3 across in the back row.

AnnieW625
09-30-2015, 09:45 PM
The 2008+ Honda Accords have a large backseat, much bigger than the 98-07 models (which while slightly different in body style were all about the same width). We fit three female adults (5'6"-5'9" all weighing about 150) in the back seat of an 08 Accord with no problems.

Agree take the car seats with you to test. I know some who got a Frontier 80, and two Radians rear facing in both a 2010 Lexus RX350, and a 2008 Toyota Camry. Someone on car-seat.org got three Radians rear facing in an 01 Corolla!

Simon
09-30-2015, 10:52 PM
We have 3 across in a Camry all the time. Radian, HBB or Convertible and seatbelt. The kids are fine and don't complain about being crowded. A Taurus should have a very generous back seat. We had one before the Camry and loved that thing. It was very hardy, but we never needed a 3-across in it, so I can't help.

melrose7
09-30-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone. We ended up going with an 08 Taurus. It was just what we wanted to spend and it was the Limited edition so the inside was leather-etc. This is DHs first car in 20+ years as he's always had a truck but that wasn't in the budget when we need a house next year (if ours will ever sell). The kids love the car tonight because they have rarely ever been in a sedan. The seats will work and is pretty roomy but they are a PIAS to buckle. You have to hold the buckle end (not sure if that's the female or male end, I can never remember) and the seatbelt or the buckle end slides a little. hopefully it's just a little getting use too. DD2 was getting frustrated that she couldn't do it herself. I will have to figure out the right configuration but so far so good. I wanted the Accord since I grew up with Hondas but DH almost always had Fords and since this was his vehicle I had to let him pick if they would both work. Plus it will be easier for him to work on. All 3 kids will probably only be in it once a month. Maybe 2 kids at time a couple times a month. just needed the 3 across just in case.