PDA

View Full Version : Is this a dated look?

bisous
10-02-2015, 01:08 AM
I've been wearing dark denim (changed the cut a few years back to skinnies) and black fitted t-shirts for years, dressed up with different shoes, jewelry and sweaters/hoodies daily for years. I'm like the Simon Cowell of moms. Is a fitted black tee still fashionable? Is there any other silhouette equally versatile? The shirt style has remained the same. Cap sleeves, fitted and long. VERY flattering and very versatile. I can wear it every day (I have a lot) and I feel like it can feel new. I want something like this but I'm doubting whether it is still a cool look or what can replace the cut and style of my tee.

Thanks!

Philly Mom
10-02-2015, 03:56 AM
Seems more fashionable than my go to outfit of the dreaded yoga pants and t shirt :). I bet you look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
10-02-2015, 07:55 AM
A little dated! I used to wear the same, but I've branched out into non-fitted tops, which I think are more fashionable. These are cute and come in solids and prints.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/pleione-split-neck-top-regular-petite-nordstrom-exclusive/4021565?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Red+Mars&resultback=1174

You can also try a high-low top or a graphic tee. Those are both lore fashionable than the basic fitted back tee

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/stem-high-low-knit-tunic-top/3585537?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Pink+Caliente&resultback=458

The lush roll tab tops are also very versatile and basic

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=2379676&keyword=Lush+roll#keyword=Lush%20roll&type=keyword&category=s6000040&defaultsize3=&size=&width=&color=&price=&brand=&stores=&instoreavailability=false&lastfilter=searchcategory_6000040&sizeFinderId=0&resultsmode=&segmentId=0&keywordSortEngine=RBS&page=1

bisous
10-02-2015, 09:18 AM
A little dated! I used to wear the same, but I've branched out into non-fitted tops, which I think are more fashionable. These are cute and come in solids and prints.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/pleione-split-neck-top-regular-petite-nordstrom-exclusive/4021565?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Red+Mars&resultback=1174

You can also try a high-low top or a graphic tee. Those are both lore fashionable than the basic fitted back tee

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/stem-high-low-knit-tunic-top/3585537?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Pink+Caliente&resultback=458

The lush roll tab tops are also very versatile and basic

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?origin=keywordsearch&contextualcategoryid=2379676&keyword=Lush+roll#keyword=Lush%20roll&type=keyword&category=s6000040&defaultsize3=&size=&width=&color=&price=&brand=&stores=&instoreavailability=false&lastfilter=searchcategory_6000040&sizeFinderId=0&resultsmode=&segmentId=0&keywordSortEngine=RBS&page=1

Yes! I feel like the silhouette is just a little dated. And I was thinking of more blouse-like shape but had no idea where to start.

I like the high-low top you linked. It is simple and could be used as a starting block, a basic. I think that has potential to be flattering. I think I'm a modified pear (sorta hourglass-like but with more "hours" in the bottom than the top) so if my top is too loose I just feel bigger all over. The fact that it is nipped in (a bit) in the waist might help. I think I probably need to just walk into a store and take a minute to try on a bunch of different shirts. I think this is a really good starting point though!

bcafe
10-02-2015, 10:03 AM
I agree with Georgie. I have found as I have gotten older that I am more comfortable in more fluid tops. Don't get me wrong, my go-to in summer is a fitted tank/skirt, but when fall rolls around a tshirt feels more....tight and restricting. I can't really explain it so I am loving the fluid tops this season. Just to add a hiccup to your wardrobe, flares are in this season too! :)

wendibird22
10-02-2015, 10:06 AM
I do think that slouchy t's are more on trend, as is graphics, and mixed media. But I think you can stick with the fitted t's and update the look with your accessories and shoe choice. Skinnies still seem to be in, but flares are making a comeback.

bisous
10-02-2015, 10:07 AM
I agree with Georgie. I have found as I have gotten older that I am more comfortable in more fluid tops. Don't get me wrong, my go-to in summer is a fitted tank/skirt, but when fall rolls around a tshirt feels more....tight and restricting. I can't really explain it so I am loving the fluid tops this season. Just to add a hiccup to your wardrobe, flares are in this season too! :)

I kept some of my flares, lol. Mine are more low waisted but I think under the right top it might not be too obvious that the top is not the most "now" cut. Maybe. We'll have to see. I think I need to play around on pinterest and some of the fashion blogs to see what is around right now. I need to be really smart with my fashion choices as my budget is tiny. :)

bcafe
10-02-2015, 10:14 AM
I am another 'tiny budget' gal and I found a ton of stuff at Old Navy. Tops, a dress, scarves, and a vest. Yes, the quality is probably not there, but I won't feel bad when I need to donate the clothing when they are "out".

etwahl
10-02-2015, 11:15 AM
I too need to stock up on some basic but cute tshirts for winter. For some reason I find this the hardest! I need to search this weekend I think :)

Katigre
10-02-2015, 11:34 AM
You may want to switch up the color of your denim also - lighter shades are in style right now. Also consider going with ankle jeans or boyfriend jeans vs. skinnies. Ditto the others on fitted tshirts - fluid tops are more in style right now, and if you can find some with enough structure to flatter your (awesome) torso that will be good. You may want to subscribe to Stitch Fix emails - you can get those even without signing up for their fashion clothes delivery service. They give a good summary of current trends for women in their 30's-40's.

georgiegirl
10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
I have a similar body type to you (pear), and it took me a while to realize that the fitted top is not necessarily the most flattering. Wearing something more flowy doesn't equal looking dumpy or heavier. The half-tuck is a great way to add a little definition to your waist with the less fitted tops. Since you live in the warm weather, you can wear boyfriend jeans year round. Banana Republic has cute fitted button down shirts that are non-iron that look great with jeans (I'm wearing blue gingham today) and a fun necklace.

lmintzer
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
I have a similar body type to you (pear), and it took me a while to realize that the fitted top is not necessarily the most flattering. Wearing something more flowy doesn't equal looking dumpy or heavier. The half-tuck is a great way to add a little definition to your waist with the less fitted tops. Since you live in the warm weather, you can wear boyfriend jeans year round. Banana Republic has cute fitted button down shirts that are non-iron that look great with jeans (I'm wearing blue gingham today) and a fun necklace.

I struggle with finding a way to wear loose tops. I like to dress a lot like the OP described. I am 5'2", relatively petite--but more of a curvy petite. My waist is small, so when I wear something blousy, I feel like I am covering up one of my best features. And I wind up looking either dumpy or pregnant.

SnuggleBuggles
10-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I do think that slouchy t's are more on trend, as is graphics, and mixed media. But I think you can stick with the fitted t's and update the look with your accessories and shoe choice. Skinnies still seem to be in, but flares are making a comeback.

I agree. I think you are fine in your fitted t-s.

As someone short, I am finding that so many of the current tops don't work for me- they look ridiculously long. It's a bummer.

Twoboos
10-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Yah IMO it's a fine line between blousey/oversized and ridiculous and maternity, LOL! ;)

ett
10-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Yah IMO it's a fine line between blousey/oversized and ridiculous and maternity, LOL! ;)

:yeahthat: I went to Nordstrom Rack today looking for a few fluid tops. One looked good on me but the others made me look very frumpy!

elbenn
10-02-2015, 03:49 PM
A fitted tee is classic and even though looser fitting tees are more on trend, you never go wrong with classic if that suits you better. If you want to branch out, you could try some different colors and maybe layer with some trendy cardigans.

bcafe
10-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes, the key to the fluid top is a slight drape/skim over the body. Some tops out there are crazy big. Sizing down may be an option.

Katigre
10-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I struggle with finding a way to wear loose tops. I like to dress a lot like the OP described. I am 5'2", relatively petite--but more of a curvy petite. My waist is small, so when I wear something blousy, I feel like I am covering up one of my best features. And I wind up looking either dumpy or pregnant.
Wear loose tops with a belt - with a small waist you can rock a belt-over-flowy-top look!

lovebebes
10-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I think its more about the attitude:) how you rock those jeans+tee-demure with a dainty pearl bracelet or bohemian with a fringed suede bag... but the key is fit i think. Can NEVER go wrong with a well fitting pair of jeans and a well fitting tee.

mommy111
10-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Tuic, jeans, boots, mix accessories.

ilfaith
10-17-2015, 09:02 AM
I think the key to wearing flowier tops when you are curvy, or petite, is to do a half tuck at the waist so your shape isn't entirely hidden. While I think tunics are fabulous on taller girls, or those who are more "apple" shaped, as they camouflage a wider middle and highlight long slim legs, if your waist is your slimmest feature, hiding it will only make the rest of your body appear bulkier. When I do wear looser tops, they must have a good drape, thicker or stiffer fabrics don't work for me...unless the look I am going for is a boxy, cropped style, which isn't my favorite, but is infinitely more flattering than long and oversized. Oversized tops worn with a belt give me flashbacks to the 80s, and while those styles may be having a resurgence, I'm not ready to revisit that era.

abh5e8
10-17-2015, 11:03 AM
I think its more about the attitude:) how you rock those jeans+tee-demure with a dainty pearl bracelet or bohemian with a fringed suede bag... but the key is fit i think. Can NEVER go wrong with a well fitting pair of jeans and a well fitting tee.
I agree! Pair that fitted tee with skinnies or boyfriend jeans, booties or ballet flats or wellies, scarf, military jacket or puffer vest, aviator sunglasses and costume jewelry. You can rock the look. Fitted tee, Long scarf and riding boots with skinnies is also cute and still on trend.

squimp
10-18-2015, 03:08 PM
I am another 'tiny budget' gal and I found a ton of stuff at Old Navy. Tops, a dress, scarves, and a vest. Yes, the quality is probably not there, but I won't feel bad when I need to donate the clothing when they are "out".

Yes ON and Loft are good places to check - I have about 8 fitted black tees in my closet, but find myself reaching for the longer more blousy ones these days with jeans and booties or ballet flats. I don't consider myself super fashionable though!

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1036154&vid=1&pid=716306002