PDA

View Full Version : Do you know your gun laws in your state?

JBaxter
10-02-2015, 07:58 PM
States vary on laws Not everyone agrees with people owning guns but you should know the law.
Florida :
Handgun Minimum age to purchase is 21
Back ground check no fingerprints
3 day waiting period to pick up
Not required to register hand gun

Long gun Minimum age to purchase 18
back ground check no fingerprints
no waiting period
not required to register a long gun

Concealed Weapon Permit 21 yrs old must take a 2 hr class and demonstrate knowledge of hand gun generally takes 60-90 days due to back up on processing and you are finger printed You are also permitted to conceal carry knives & mace. New to the law is you must be a full time resident to have a valid conceal carry permit Florida has many part year residents.
You may not carry in a bar , school state buildings. 32 states have reciprocity with Florida. ( meaning you can conceal carry in those states also with your Florida permit)

Florida also has Castle Doctrine which says
~the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person
~ It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked
~ It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.
It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

Castle doctrine applies to your car. You do not need a concealed carry permit to have a gun in your car.

The Firearm Purchase Program (FPP) conducts background checks for the transfer of firearms by federally licensed gun dealers, manufacturers and importers.
Following are a list of reasons you may be denied a purchase of a firearm:
Felony conviction
Active warrant (felony or misdemeanor)
Unlawful user or addicted to any controlled substance
Adjudicated mentally defective or involuntarily committed by a judge
Illegal alien status
Dishonorable discharge from US Armed Forces
Renounced United States citizenship
Active protection order (injunction for protection, restraining order, etc.)
Convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
Under indictment or information for a crime punishable by a term exceeding one year in prison.
Adjudicated delinquent or received adjudication withheld as a juvenile for a felony charge and person is under the age of 24
Adjudication withheld for any felony or a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence and three years has not yet lapsed since the completion of sentencing provisions

StantonHyde
10-02-2015, 10:31 PM
uh-I live in Utah. I think the only places you can't carry a concealed weapon (and maybe open carry too) are in private buildings that specifically state that guns are not allowed. You can have them in schools, day cares, etc. They do screen in court. Thank goodness I work at a psych hospital because we can post no guns allowed--due to our patient population. In the main hospital, anybody can carry. (patients, staff, etc)

Utah issues more concealed weapons permits to people who live out of state than to those who live in state. Our concealed weapons permit "classes" are a joke--according to people who shoot and have been through the classes.

Heck, other states have a state bird--we have a state gun. (I think its the same one used in the Sandy Hook massacre and yes, it was deemed the state gun after that massacre)

I never worried too much about purchase laws--most kids have access to their parents guns or friends guns. I always shot my dad's guns. It's easy to get your hands on a gun here. And--I don't believe background checks etc apply to "private" gun sales--e.g. you buy a gun from a friend down the street. I could be wrong though.

AnnieW625
10-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Yes ever since my then BF (now DH) taught me how to shoot when I was 20. Here they are in depth:
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/california/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

The gun laws in this state are some of the strictest in the nation, and DH follows them to a T.

azzeps
10-03-2015, 01:33 PM
https://img.njdc.com/media/media/2015/09/01/wholechart.png

for people who don't know the laws in their state, here's a start!

lhafer
10-03-2015, 03:11 PM
I think I may trump StantonHyde by living in Texas. Guns are an area in which Texas lives up to its reputation. I don't know all the ins and outs of gun laws here. I was going to get my CHL, but wasn't able to complete it before we moved abroad. I will get it when we get back. Buy my biological father was a sheriff, and my dad and brothers all hunt (and eat what they kill). I personally think thieves are idiots here if they try to rob a house or carjack someone. Because Texans don't think twice about shooting someone who's trying to steal their sh*t.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl28ZV3nq2IzrstXyOBDq7QfEWQrGXW Q-yUbQv0WIXVEvPAVc7

Liziz
10-03-2015, 03:27 PM
I think I may trump StantonHyde by living in Texas. Guns are an area in which Texas lives up to its reputation. I don't know all the ins and outs of gun laws here. I was going to get my CHL, but wasn't able to complete it before we moved abroad. I will get it when we get back. Buy my biological father was a sheriff, and my dad and brothers all hunt (and eat what they kill). I personally think thieves are idiots here if they try to rob a house or carjack someone. Because Texans don't think twice about shooting someone who's trying to steal their sh*t.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl28ZV3nq2IzrstXyOBDq7QfEWQrGXW Q-yUbQv0WIXVEvPAVc7

I grew up in the Midwest but live in Texas now, too. I have to say I've been continually surprised at how many people own (and carry) guns around here....it's a very different gun culture than in the Midwest, that's for sure. However, TX only very recently started allowing open carry....and I believe that it was one of the few states that didn't, so it was strict in that one regard until recently.