PDA

View Full Version : Tips when getting elfa system installed?

hellokitty
10-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Well, we took the plunge. We are getting our master closet redone with an elfa closet system. They're supposed to come install it in the middle of the month. Dh is going to tear out the junky system that came with the house, repaint the closet interior and the molding and patch holes. Is there anything else we should do to make it easier or things to expect? We live an hr and a half from TCS... So I hope that they have all of the pieces that they need, esp since we got charged an extra fee for living outside their regular svc area.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
10-03-2015, 01:40 PM
I assume you've designed and ordered it?

You're doing all the right things. This is your chance to paint and scrub down the walls, but the floor will get dusty from installation.

I would make sure the vertical rails go almost all the way down the wall as this gives you the flexibility to add shelving later or move things.

They bring all the bits and pieces.

Enjoy your new closet!!

legaleagle
10-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Agree in the long rails - we have multiple closets and walls with Elfa and I've rearranged it so many times over the years as our needs changed, which is awesome - love not being locked into anything

lhafer
10-03-2015, 03:03 PM
You've done all the right things. My DH and I ripped out our builder-grade pantry shelves, repaired the holes, sanded the wall, and repainted. Then we installed the Elfa shelving ourselves. It was a weekend project. By the end....it was AMAZING. You will be so happy you did it. We also did our secondary closets ourselves too (I'm a bit of a DIYer, so prefer trying it myself first). But you will be totally happy and you will be amazed at just how much room you will gain!

mackmama
10-04-2015, 12:40 PM
We have had Elfa closets installed in our last few homes and like the closets. We had never had a problem with the actual installers, and no dust was ever left. We've had the installers both tear out existing closets and install closets where no removal was necessary. All were done without issues besides some minor paint touch-ups needed.

*However* - we have had several problems involving the *scheduling* of the installations (poor customer service, scheduling errors and other mishaps on their part). This last installation was such a headache. For that reason, we will not be using them again.

lhafer
10-04-2015, 03:40 PM
We have had Elfa closets installed in our last few homes and like the closets. We had never had a problem with the actual installers, and no dust was ever left. We've had the installers both tear out existing closets and install closets where no removal was necessary. All were done without issues besides some minor paint touch-ups needed.

*However* - we have had several problems involving the *scheduling* of the installations (poor customer service, scheduling errors and other mishaps on their part). This last installation was such a headache. For that reason, we will not be using them again.

I love the elfa product itself. And honestly, it's very simple to install yourself. Literally all you need is a stud finder and possibly a level.

minnie-zb
10-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Paint the closet before they install (if it's not a new build).

It is really simple to install -- my husband's done it many times. It's much easier now than it was about 15+ years ago. I don't think we've moved in a house where we haven't installed Elfa.

Hippoharbor
12-31-2015, 04:43 PM
We are moving into a new house and ALL of the closets need an overhaul. They currently all have closet aid shelving installed and these shelves are sticky and gross. I drove past a container store today and noticed their Elfa systems are 30% off. Is this about the most economical way to get closets done? What about Costco, etc?

This is going to be a huge expense for us as the move itself is very costly. I hope that if we go this route, we can justify it by installing ourselves, though neither of us have ever done DIY projects.

Thanks.

lhafer
12-31-2015, 07:44 PM
We are moving into a new house and ALL of the closets need an overhaul. They currently all have closet aid shelving installed and these shelves are sticky and gross. I drove past a container store today and noticed their Elfa systems are 30% off. Is this about the most economical way to get closets done? What about Costco, etc?

This is going to be a huge expense for us as the move itself is very costly. I hope that if we go this route, we can justify it by installing ourselves, though neither of us have ever done DIY projects.

Thanks.

You can do closet maid systems from lowes cheaper. They are very similar to Elsa systems, though I've had both and can tell the elf a system quality was better, the the closet maid wasn't bad.

I used them in both of my kids rooms and our pantry and loved it! So worth the money! I love it because you can configure it over and over as needed. I reconfigured my oldest daughters closet 3 times in 4 years due to various reasons. Change shelf height, types of shelves, types of drawers, add or omit shelves. And it give you so much more space!!

WatchingThemGrow
12-31-2015, 07:52 PM
OP, what about the closet lighting? Is there anything you could improve in there? You could prep by pulling your stuff out, organizing it, and see what you can discard. Maybe use your label maker to make some labels to stick on the drawers.

PPer, I like elfa better than closetmaid. Elfa is easier to install and rearrange. love it. My friend and I did 11 closets in our house!

Globetrotter
01-02-2016, 06:30 PM
You can do it yourself, but you will need a level and stud finder. The hard part is knowing where to drill. Once dh drills In the tracks, with my help, I put up the shelves on my own! Last time I hired someone (eta: I paid the container store to install it) and it was easy but of course he didn't paint inside the closet, which we always do. I did scrub it, though. Do it before you move your stuff inside - probably goes without saying but it will be so much easier :) I would also paint inside the closets and replace the flooring if needed, because you will never do it otherwise! I'm so glad we put laminate all over, including closets, before moving in.

Mamabear4
01-02-2016, 08:46 PM
FWIW, when we had Container Store do our install, THEY removed our old system, patched holes and repainted for us (we had to provide paint and patch material) and then installed the new. It was awesome! The patches can be seen, but unless we ever take the Elfa out or remove all of our clothing, you'd never be able to see it. I vacuumed while the paint was drying, then again when they were finished.
We had a bit of an issue with them bringing the wrong parts - they had to cut down a hanging clothing bar to make it fit and ended up having to make a trip back to the store to retrieve the right size drawers. Luckily we only live about 20 min from a store. Not sure how it could have been prevented - the invoice and order were written correctly, someone just messed up while they were pulling the items. They were great about it, though - sent one guy to the store in the truck, while the other kept working. Took most of a day to complete. We LOVE it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellokitty
01-02-2016, 08:49 PM
I wanted to update. Dh took out the old shelving, patched holes and repainted the closet. He also found a new light that really improved the lighting in the closet. The container store contractor who came out to install the closet did a great job and was finished before lunch time. We're happy with the way it turned out. We got the natural and dark grey metal combo, which I wasn't sure I'd like (dh wanted it), but it looks very high scale. It was a lot of money and dh says that after he watched the cs guy install it, and he shared tips with dh, dh wouldn't hesitate to install a unit himself, next time.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Glad it turned out so well! Good for your DH for watching and getting the confidence to DIY next time. We :heartbeat: our Elfa closets. I want to throw up a desk somewhere just because they're so cool.

khm
01-02-2016, 10:19 PM
OP, what about the closet lighting? Is there anything you could improve in there? You could prep by pulling your stuff out, organizing it, and see what you can discard. Maybe use your label maker to make some labels to stick on the drawers.

PPer, I like elfa better than closetmaid. Elfa is easier to install and rearrange. love it. My friend and I did 11 closets in our house!

You have 11 closets?? :)

Globetrotter
01-03-2016, 02:18 AM
Our installer did patch it and paint that small area, but we usually paint the entire closet when it's empty.

I'm going to do the coat closet next and I think I'll get it painted first.

. Hellokitty, glad you like it!

WatchingThemGrow
01-03-2016, 05:50 AM
You have 11 closets?? :)

Lol including pantry, playroom, entry, office, dining room, linens, and bedrooms...yes although I realize we didn't do linen and dining yet. They are a mess. Maybe I should Elfa them to get them under control.

They all had the popcorn ceilings that didn't get scraped and they had 41 year old paint inside. SO gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk