PDA

View Full Version : Paring down/decluttering--hit me with your best tips!

KpbS
10-05-2015, 09:34 AM
We are moving from a large home with a TON of storage to a rental that that is smaller. Not sure where we will end up eventually, but I need to pare down regardless. I can't do any of it before we move, it will all have to be on the unpacking end. Give me your best tips/tricks please!!

hillview
10-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Be ruthless. 3 piles. Trash. Give Away. Keep.

rlu
10-05-2015, 03:54 PM
try to avoid "misc" boxes. The more specific the label, the easier it is to ask, "is this something we'll need and can it be reviewed and put away quickly?" Misc. boxes are easier to ignore, put aside for "later", and less likely to just be donated as is since there "might" be something important in them.

Katigre
10-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Have you read this book? http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering/dp/1607747308

There are TONS of blog posts/reviews/facebook groups that you can read to find out the details - but it is excellent for decluttering and paring down. I was already a minimalist and it has taken me to an even better level. Our current home is 2800sq ft but thanks to this method we only live in 1500 sq ft (allowing us to rent out the extra space). We have empty closets, empty drawers, and empty cabinets. Our basement has tons of storage and we only need part of one set of shelves to hold painting supplies, suitcases and Christmas decor. THAT'S IT. No overflowing closets (not even with 4 kids who all share one bedroom currently, the other bedroom is a playroom). My kids are a similar age range to yours and this has worked great with them. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the way my house feels following Life Changing Magic - if we had to move tomorrow, we could do it easily because everything has a place and there's not a lot of excess. (FWIW, our old house only had two small closets total in the whole place, so I've done small space living too).

Globetrotter
10-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I was going to suggest that book! katrigre, Isn't that amazing? I you realized we didn't need to move- just need to pare down! I'm still in the process, though.

It's a quick read (take the parts that work for you- it's a bit weird in places lol) but if you don't have time, read this:
https://www.onekingslane.com/live-love-home/marie-kondo-book-declutter/

There are other threads on this, but this has been life changing for me, too, and what better time than a MOVE to make this shift in thinking?

Eta: this is a better article: http://www.today.com/home/life-changing-magic-tidying-testing-marie-kondos-method-t21356

KpbS
10-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. The Kondos method is interesting. I have such a hard time with sorting through toys though. They definitely bring me joy even if my DC have outgrown some of them. It's hard to pare down when you are sentimental about the items!

I've made a list and I am hoping to stick to it though when we get in our new space. :crying:

Melaine
10-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. The Kondos method is interesting. I have such a hard time with sorting through toys though. They definitely bring me joy even if my DC have outgrown some of them. It's hard to pare down when you are sentimental about the items!

I've made a list and I am hoping to stick to it though when we get in our new space. :crying:

Maybe you can imagine someone else getting joy from them? I have been purging like mad the last few months and have spent so much time doing it that I think I have actually started to change my shopping habits which is really where a lot of issues lie.

jgenie
10-09-2015, 06:59 AM

I have this same problem but I think of someone else loving them and it helps pass me pass them on. :)

Globetrotter
10-09-2015, 11:46 AM
I have this same problem but I think of someone else loving them and it helps pass me pass them on. :)

i understand. I have an attachment to playmobil, for instance, but once they no longer use it, it's just taking up space. Take photos of the items so you can remember their favorite toys, then give them to someone else who will use and enjoy them. I think it's the memory, vs. the item itself, that holds us back. Will you ever sit and play with them? Probably not :)

You have to be brutal in this process, or you will end up hauling unused items from one house to the next.

be strong!

daphne
10-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Maybe you can imagine someone else getting joy from them? I have been purging like mad the last few months and have spent so much time doing it that I think I have actually started to change my shopping habits which is really where a lot of issues lie.

Yes! I went shopping with a few friends at a really cool seasonal barn sale. We shopped for well over an hour, then when I got to the cash register, I looked at the contents of my basket and saw that only 2 items really sparked joy, so I put all of the rest of it back! It felt so strange, yet freeing! (Now i just have to get going with purging. eek)

Katigre
10-09-2015, 12:02 PM

The book is pretty short and worth a read - it really helps explain what brings joy *now* vs. what brings joy from the memory/experience of having it in the past. It's really not like other decluttering books b/c it goes into the emotions behind the things we own and the things we get rid of. I'd highly recommend it :).

gatorsmom
10-09-2015, 12:15 PM
When I'm about to buy something I always think to myself "where am I going to put this? Where will I store it?" That has prevented me from buying lots of unnecessary stuff. And I use that when I'm organizing/sorting. I ask myself, "do I really have a place for this? Could get rid of something else to find a place for it. Where would that be?

Another thing that helps me to purge is that I know of a very worthy charity store. It's staffed with volunteers and all sales of donated items go directly to buying necessities for the nearby retirement/nursing home where my great aunt lives. It's in a tiny town in a poor, rural area and the volunteers are always very excited when I bring my donations. I always feel good dropping things off there with the grateful volunteers rather than being rushed through the Goodwill drive through with the indifferent people working there. I know Goodwill is a good cause too, but I just feel better bringing stuff to this little shop. And not to beat a dead horse, but it always surprises me how things I don't think much of are so welcomed there. I dropped off an old dusty flower arrangement of my mom's one time and one of the volunteers saw it and said, "oh that is so pretty. I bet it won't last on the shelf all day before someone buys it!"

baymom
10-09-2015, 12:29 PM
When I'm about to buy something I always think to myself "where am I going to put this? Where will I store it?" That has prevented me from buying lots of unnecessary stuff. And I use that when I'm organizing/sorting. I ask myself, "do I really have a place for this? Could get rid of something else to find a place for it. Where would that be?

For me, this has been HUGE. Changing my mindset about buying anything in the first place. I was never a true 'recreational shopper', but I would feel this urge to stock up on things if there were on super sale and just would buy other 'stuff.' But, after getting into a big purging mode a few years back, I see how much better I feel living minimally and how much more peaceful my home seems. Part of that, of course, is that my kids are past the big toy phase so all of the birth-through-preschool "stuff" is out of the house. Still, it has made all the difference to just stop buying things that I don't absolutely NEED at that time.

The other thing, for me, was making a NYs resolution to put out AT LEAST one bag for donation every month when a local charity does a curb-side pick up from my street. It's October, and I've kept my resolution. Part of it has been getting stuff out of the house and the other part has been training myself to always be on the look-out of things to get rid of. I keep a large trash bag in the garage and whenever I see something to be donated, I just put it in the bag, so it's out of the house and ready for pick-up day.

legaleagle
10-09-2015, 12:55 PM
The book is pretty short and worth a read - it really helps explain what brings joy *now* vs. what brings joy from the memory/experience of having it in the past. It's really not like other decluttering books b/c it goes into the emotions behind the things we own and the things we get rid of. I'd highly recommend it :).

Yes, this. It sounds totally corny but the whole "thanking an object for its service" really helps me declutter. The biggest revelation really was on the things you bought but never used. I think she has an example of buying a sweater that looked nice in the store but never wearing it - you thank it for helping you learn that a boxy cable sweater (or brown sweater or wool sweater or whatever) is not something that will spark joy, so both getting rid of that particular sweater and not buying other similar ones.

Globetrotter
10-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes, this. It sounds totally corny but the whole "thanking an object for its service" really helps me declutter. The biggest revelation really was on the things you bought but never used. I think she has an example of buying a sweater that looked nice in the store but never wearing it - you thank it for helping you learn that a boxy cable sweater (or brown sweater or wool sweater or whatever) is not something that will spark joy, so both getting rid of that particular sweater and not buying other similar ones.

yes! I've held onto stuff that is unflattering, but now I can let it go. It taught me not to buy similar items again. Same with gifts- I kept stuff because I felt bad donating it, as if I was dishonoring the gift giver. She says the thought behind the gift is more important than the item itself.

It it sounds weird, but it is a different mindset. I had already stopped buying stuff I didn't need, which is the other BIG part of this.

i agree with pp- it's a lot easier when the kids get older and there are no cute clothes and toys to tempt me! Now they choose everything.