PDA

View Full Version : Help! DS's school infested with fleas

twotimesblue
10-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I got a notification that fleas have been found in a number of classrooms at DS1's school (yuk!) and the allegedly 'non toxic' treatments that were tried were not effective.

They are now planning to use two much stronger chemicals in every classroom in the school over the weekend - Tengard, Precor and permethrin/methoprene. They will re-open school as usual on Monday.

I am very concerned about this. My son is in K and all the kids routinely put their hands in their mouths after touching the Legos, etc, which will obviously be coated in this toxic chemical soup. What would you do? Other mums are threatening to keep their kids off school for a week but I have work commitments so could only keep him home Mon/Tue at most.

gatorsmom
10-09-2015, 11:55 AM
I got a notification that fleas have been found in a number of classrooms at DS1's school (yuk!) and the allegedly 'non toxic' treatments that were tried were not effective.

They are now planning to use two much stronger chemicals in every classroom in the school over the weekend - Tengard, Precor and permethrin/methoprene. They will re-open school as usual on Monday.

I think I would try to contact the school and ask what specifically they plan to do about the preschool and kindergarten rooms. Are they going to seal up the toys and put them somewhere else during treatment? Or so they plan to just spray everything in the room? As basic as it seems to us, an exterminator might not think to avoid spraying toys that are going to get mouthed. Will a school staff member be there when the exterminator is spraying/treating? Could the teachers have the children avoid sitting on the rugs for a week until the rugs/mats are thoroughly vacuumed a few times?

I guess I'd let the person in charge know that the Kindergarten parents are very concerned about the amount of exposure their kids are going to get and some planned precautions on the school's part and communication about it would probably ease their fears. I'd also let them know that some parents are concerned to the point of taking their kids out of school for a week. Somebody's gotta be the squeaky wheel, kwim?

Pear
10-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I would ask the k teacher about plans. They may be removing toys and books from the classrooms in advance of the treatment. The fleas have the potential to cause both discomfort and disease so overall I would be happier with the school treating aggressively at this point.