PDA

View Full Version : Recommended PODCAST shows plus episodes

Corie
10-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Here is my recommended list of Podcast shows plus favorite episodes. I got the majority of the Podcast recommendations
from the BBB but I also did many online searches. I found favorite episodes through my online searching.

Serial (entire series)

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

Mystery Show

Science Friday

Ricky Gervais

Criminal

The Dinner Party Download

Reading Lives

99% Invisible

Hardcore History

Satellite Sisters

Stuff You Should Know
Jack The Ripper
Sharks

Stuff You Missed in History Class

Ted Radio Hour
Haves and Have Nots
Playing With Perceptions

Radio Lab
Color
Blame
60 Words
Poop Train
Are You Sure?
Speedy Beet
Oops
Limits

The Moth
Sherman OT Powell
To Russia With Love
Listen Here, Fancypants
Elevator ER

Alton Brown
William Shatner
Call In Special
2013 Thanksgiving

Freakonomics
The Perfect Crime
Exploration of Online Dating
Three Hardest Words

This American Life
Switched At Birth
Fiasco
Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time
The Super
The House on Loon Lake
Mistakes Were Made
Harper High School (part 1 and part 2)
Brooklyn Archipelago
Nummi
The Friendly Man
Is This Working?

AnnieW625
10-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Wow! You have been busy! Thanks for the recs. .

BDKmom
10-09-2015, 08:03 PM
My favorite Mystery Show episode is Source Code. She tries to find out how tall Jake Gyllenhaal actually is. Apparently this is a very hotly debated topic :)

My favorite TAL episode is No Coincidence No Story. I haven't listened to it in a while, so I can't remember all the segments, but I do remember several instances of unbelievable coincidence. It's one of the first I listened to and where I fell in love with Sarah Koenig.

Corie
10-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Wow! You have been busy! Thanks for the recs. .

I am going to have a lot of travel hours once the show choir competition season starts. My son gave me his iPod because he has
never used it and I'm going to load it up with Podcasts. So excited!

Corie
10-09-2015, 08:17 PM
My favorite Mystery Show episode is Source Code. She tries to find out how tall Jake Gyllenhaal actually is. Apparently this is a very hotly debated topic :)

That's too funny! I actually read an article about a guy trying to find out how tall Sylvester Stallone is. If I remember correctly, I think Stallone was only 5'7".

ETA: Found the article.

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/oscar-watch/2006/03/03/Male-Hollywood-stars-don-t-stand-as-tall-as-we-imagine/stories/200603030174

jgenie
10-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Would you be able to tell me which podcasts from your list are suitable for a 5 yo and 7 yo?

mikala
10-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Would you be able to tell me which podcasts from your list are suitable for a 5 yo and 7 yo?
I'm not familiar with all of the podcasts on the list but have listened to several. My 6yo loves Wait Wait don't tell me but there's definitely some older content mixed in and I sometimes turn the volume down for a bit.

We listen to a lot of Science Friday. I usually read the descriptions and just avoid scarier topics like Ebola.

Most of the Alton Brown episodes are fine.

Many of the TED talks, This American Life and Freakonomics are fine, but it also depends on topic.

Serial is NOT child friendly as it's about a teenage murder.

BDKmom
10-09-2015, 10:26 PM

Stuff You Should Know (SYSK) and Stuff You Missed in History are usually kid friendly, of course depending on the topic. They are very good at giving a heads up if an episode is going to include stuff that may not be appropriate. Lots of their listener mail references kids listening and/or kid questions. My kids won't listen to anything, so I have no first hand experience, though.

Tenasparkl
10-10-2015, 01:30 AM

There's a series of kid podcasts called Tales Untold that my kids (3 & 7) love. They're in their own app, not in iTunes/Apple Store. They've been laughing their heads off at the ones about a monster names Radbert. The first ep in each series is free to try, then you pay a few dollars for the remaining episodes.

Other good podcasts (for adults, not kids) can be found on the Earwolf podcast network, Nerdist network and Maximum Fun. I know lots of folks that host shows on all three networks and there are some big comedians, actors etc. as both hosts and guests. Most aren't exactly kid friendly, but all have great shows worth exploring. I bet many of you would like One Bad Mother (part of Max Fun).

Serial is absolutely worth a listen. I was obsessed!

Corie
10-10-2015, 07:40 AM

I have no clue!! I haven't listened to any of the podcasts yet. I am trying to gather a list of recommended podcast
shows so I can start listening. I have a lot of travel time coming up in the next few months.

I started by asking the BBB for recommendations. Then I started doing internet searches. I just searched by
"top podcast shows" or "best podcast shows" or "favorite podcast shows". You get the idea.

Several sites listed their favorite episodes from podcast shows. So then I started trying to search for favorite episodes.

And that is how the list came to be.

But I can't give any suggestions or recommendations as to shows and which are appropriate for younger audiences since
I have not listened to my list yet.

Meatball Mommie
10-10-2015, 07:49 AM
My 12 year old and I listened to "Brains On" last night. It was great and very entertaining. It's a science podcast for kids and the episode we listened to was "Fart Smarts: Understanding the gas we pass" lol

Corie
10-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Does anyone have any other recommendations?? Any favorite episodes?

Thanks!!

specialp
10-10-2015, 12:14 PM
On my recent road trip DH loaded me up with the "Best of" from Wait Wait Don't tell me. They do the "best of" episodes all the time and they really are funny. I would try to find those. There was one segment with Kevin Fitzgerald re: spiders as a guest that had me rolling over laughing.

ETA: Looked it up and 2 episodes I remember liking are "Best of Not my Job" 7/18/15 and "All Animal Edition" 7/4/15.

Mommy_Again
10-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Death, Sex and Money is an excellent series. I've enjoyed all episodes.

I also love Start Up - like Serial, the episodes build so you have to listen from the beginning. There are two seasons so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corie
10-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Other good podcasts (for adults, not kids) can be found on the Earwolf podcast network, Nerdist network and Maximum Fun. I know lots of folks that host shows on all three networks and there are some big comedians, actors etc. as both hosts and guests. Most aren't exactly kid friendly, but all have great shows worth exploring. I bet many of you would like One Bad Mother (part of Max Fun).

Thank you for recommending these 3 other podcast networks!! I will check them out!

tropicalmom
10-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the list. Most are on my regular listening list but glad to see some new things to check out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corie
10-11-2015, 07:02 PM

I also love Start Up - like Serial, the episodes build so you have to listen from the beginning. There are two seasons so far.

Adding these 2 podcasts to my list! Thank you!

jgenie
10-11-2015, 08:58 PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you mind linking Start up? I can't seem to find it. TIA. - I found it!!

BDKmom
10-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Would you mind linking Start up? I can't seem to find it. TIA. - I found it!!

If others are having trouble finding it, it's pretty far down on the iTunes Charts because they are currently in between seasons. Gives you guys time to catch up on the first two. After Serial, it's my favorite. Season one especially.

Corie
10-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Here are some websites that recommend podcasts.

http://laurenconrad.com/blog/2015/02/tuesday-ten-my-favorite-podcasts/

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-your-favorite-podcasts-Whyhttps://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-your-favorite-podcasts-Why

http://blog.ted.com/45-great-podcast-picks-from-the-ted-staff/