PDA

View Full Version : Where to have arrival night birthday dinner?

cagey
10-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Where would you do a arrival-night birthday dinner for a 10 yr old boy? We're staying at Swan/Dolphin in April for DS's birthday but haven't gotten our flights yet so not sure when we'll actually arrive (aiming for a 5pm is arrival), but not planning on a park day for our arrival day. We've been to MK for one day a couple of years ago and had dinner at Kona Cafe which was ok but so noisy as our table was on the edge near the lobby

We won't have a car, but averse to cabbing around if needed. Initial thoughts were California Grill or Ohana so we could stick around and see MK fireworks, but certainly open to any other ideas.

Trip will be a surprise pick-up from school, so it will be a long day. We'll have 4 days total, 3 park days.

bnme
10-12-2015, 12:35 PM
I would stay in the area if you are not arriving until 5pm. Boardwalk area has ESPN Zone and Beaches & Cream. Or Il Mulino, Yachtsman Steak House if you want more upscale. You can then do a little walking around or perhaps go for a swim at your hotel (my kids really love pool time, almost as much as going to the parks). We often skip parks and do do DTD on arrival day, but get in more like 1pm. If you need more activity DTD would be your best bet.

anonomom
10-12-2015, 12:41 PM
I recommend Beaches & Cream. It's casual, but fun and delicious (their tomato bisque is really good!). Just make sure to make an ADR if you possibly can. It's a tiny restaurant and it fills up fast.

Ohana is a lot of fun and the food is good (IMO).

Whispering Canyon Cafe is also fun, though I'm not fond of the food there.

belovedgandp
10-12-2015, 11:54 PM
We love going to DTD for part of a day. It's been our arrival day outing or the end of a shorter AK day. We were there in February for my son's 11th b-day. We went to the Ghirardelli ice cream shop in DTD and had the most amazing desserts for his b-day.

cagey
10-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks! I'd assumed Beaches and Cream was just a ice cream shop, but your suggestions lead me to menu browse and excited to see that its more! I'm still over 180 days out so will def get an ADR, and since DH and DS are card carrying Ice Cream aficionados, think that's the perfect choice! Nothing at DTD really jumped out at me and think the low key charm and Disney staff will make it perfect! My kids are also HUGE pool fiends, which is why we're doing no parks on arrival or departure days.