PDA

View Full Version : Update 1: Some additional P&PT for my mom please.

wendibird22
10-13-2015, 09:21 AM
So we have no update. Zero. The ENT said that the pathologist thought some biopsy tissue looked benign-ish and some looked papilloma-ish (which is also benign but can turn into cancer), and just couldn't make a definitive call. Since he wanted to do a removal of the tissue anyway he's now going to do a surgical biopsy at the time of removal, hope for the pathologist to get a good read on the biopsy while he's still in the removal process and then this will guide if he just removes what he can (if it's all benign) or if he can to remove clean margins (cancerous). So we wait another 2 weeks for that outpatient procedure. He did confirm for her that this is entirely unrelated to the peripheral neuropathy and to see a neuro...um thanks, that's what led us here. So I took 3/4 of a day off work to accompany her to an appointment that she was convinced was going to be bad news that she didn't want to have to hear alone, that turned out to be a nothing appointment. Oh and she refuses to believe me that nasal polyps are relatively common. "I don't know anyone who has one!" Um yeah mom because your friends (and she really doesn't have many unfortunately) just walk around talking about nasal polyps. He also confirmed that from the CT this mass is right in her nasal cavity and hasn't grown up into the bone or anything.

So yeah, this just keeps dragging on. And it's the perfect example of don't go looking for trouble right. I mean she has ZERO symptoms from this darn thing and didn't even know it was there until the MRI on her head for the neuropathy. Now she's all worked up over something that may be nothing. It's like when I had a CT done before I was diagnosed gluten intolerant and I did a CT of my abdomen. They called to tell me there was a shadow on my lung and I needed an Xray to rule out other stuff. Turns out the shadow was my boob. :)

Thank you all for the P&PT for my mom these past few weeks. If you recall she had 1 sided tingling and weird sensations that sent her to a neuro for eval. Had an MRI that didn't reveal any cause of the tingling/neuropathy, but did show a growth in her sinuses. Was referred to an ENT that she saw last week. He took 6 biopsies and sent her for a CT which she is doing today. She has a follow up with the ENT for results this Thursday. She asked me to go with her because she's terrified it's cancer and she doesn't want to get that news alone. My parents are separated and my dad isn't willing/available to go with her. I have a friend who is a radiologist and he said that most nasal polyps are benign growths that result from chronic inflammation and that nasal cancers are very rare (I think I read like only 2000 diagnosed annually) but my mom is a glass half empty person so that coupled with her depression, lack of self-confidence, disappointment in my dad for not being there for her, etc has her in a terrible emotional state. To top it all off my SIL is traveling into town that day for a 4-day visit and as a family we are trying to coordinate several upcoming family events and possible trips. I can't help but put DH off on scheduling anything until after Thursday's doctor appointment because, well, there is a likelihood of bad news that will send my schedule into a tailspin since neither my dad nor my brother (have I mentioned that he knows my mom's been dealing with this stuff for about 4weeks now and hasn't called or texted her once!!) will be there to assist with anything.

So, I could definitely still use some additional P&PT for a good report on Thursday for my mom's health.

Mommy_Mea
10-13-2015, 09:23 AM
P&PT!! I have chronic sinus polyps, so I know it could be definitely nothing! But I know that probably doesn't help your mom. *hugs*

megs4413
10-13-2015, 09:47 AM
prayers!!!

wendibird22
10-13-2015, 11:16 AM
P&PT!! I have chronic sinus polyps, so I know it could be definitely nothing! But I know that probably doesn't help your mom. *hugs*

Have you had to have them removed?

div_0305
10-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Sending P&PTs!

minnie-zb
10-13-2015, 11:23 AM
My dad had this and he had it removed. Wasn't a big deal at all -- he was told the same thing about them being typically benign.

I hope things go well on Thursday!

Momit
10-13-2015, 11:33 AM
PT for your mom.

Mommy_Mea
10-13-2015, 12:02 PM
Have you had to have them removed?

I have been able to keep them under control by doing a sinus rinse with a saline/steroid mixture, so no surgery (yet) for me. I know a lot of people who have with good results though, it is pretty standard procedure when dealing with polyps!

petesgirl
10-13-2015, 01:03 PM
But this can't possibly be the cause of the one-sided nerve sensations, can it? Is she still dealing with those?

wendibird22
10-13-2015, 01:58 PM
But this can't possibly be the cause of the one-sided nerve sensations, can it? Is she still dealing with those?

Yes she is. Neuro wanted her to see the ENT and deal with this issue first. I think that's why mom is so doom and gloom. She has it in her head that a)the nerve issue is being caused by this growth (though the neuro told her he didn't see anything on the MRI to cause it...you'd think if he thought this growth could he would've said that) and b)amped up by the fact that the neuro thought this issue needed more immediate attention. She says her "intuition" tells her they are related and that it's bad news.

The MRI was of brain/head, neck, spine and other than some degenerative changes to some discs, there was nothing major noted. While I did read that sinus tumors can cause face pain and tingling (which is a location she's bothered) I don't see anything that indicates it would cause peripheral neuropathy. And nothing was noted on the MRI report that the nasal growth is large enough to be affecting the spine or brain. The only way I can see the two being related is if there is cancer and it's metastasized but again, I'd assume that would've showed up on other areas of the MRI. And the neuropathy first showed up in the arm on/off again for a year or so, and this time involved the leg and then the face last. So yeah, even if she gets the all clear from the ENT, she still has this whole other issue to contend with.

My radiologist friend said the type of growth suspected from the MRI (inverted something or other) while not common, can be a sarcoma so the biopsy and CT are standard protocol.

Aging parents is no fun. Especially when you are an only child or feel like an only child (as I do). I do not look forward to getting old.

lmh2402
10-13-2015, 02:00 PM
sending lots of p&pts to your mom and to you

Globetrotter
10-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Hugs. It is so hard being the primary support person. I'm like your mom and tend to freak out. I even went through therapy to address this, and it's helped. I WISH I could just relax! Sigh..

I hope it's something minor. My dad had benign nasal polyps- very common.

kdeunc
10-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Hope your mom has a positive report on Thursday! It is so difficult to deal with aging/ill parents. You will be in my thoughts as well!

wendibird22
10-15-2015, 03:17 PM
Update in 1. The saga continues.

123LuckyMom
10-16-2015, 04:42 PM
Oh, Lordy! I'm so sorry about your situation, but I have to tell you that I got a HUGE laugh out of the shadow-was-my-boob comment!!!! How horrible that must have been for you, but oh, my goodness, how could they not know that was what they were looking at!?! I hope your mom gets some resolution soon and that you can catch a break!

kaitlyns.mom
10-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Just a random thought... I get facial tingling and strange sensations on one side of my face as well. It turns out it's facial migraines. Maybe a possibility for your mom as well? I get the headaches but not nearly as severe as others describe migraines. For me it's mostly the tingling/numbness/weird sensations, then eyes watering, and a headache (but not severe).

mikala
10-17-2015, 12:07 PM
Just a random thought... I get facial tingling and strange sensations on one side of my face as well. It turns out it's facial migraines. Maybe a possibility for your mom as well? I get the headaches but not nearly as severe as others describe migraines. For me it's mostly the tingling/numbness/weird sensations, then eyes watering, and a headache (but not severe).
Yeah, I was thinking migraines or possibly Lyme disease too. One of my friends had some strange facial tingling along with some other symptoms and was eventually diagnosed with Lyme. She went through lots of other diagnostics and finally one of her doctors thought to test for Lyme. I think she said her symptoms slowly went away with antibiotic treatment.

Jacobsmom
10-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Sending P&PTs. Hoping you have answers soon