PDA

View Full Version : Mold on inside of pumpkin

Ms B
10-14-2015, 02:08 PM
The ILs visited this weekend and insisted on carving a pumpkin with The Biscuit, even though Halloween is weeks away.

So now I have a carved pumpkin in my house and it already is starting to grow mold on the inside. Yech!!

Any remediation suggestions? Is there something I can spray or spread on the inside that will slow the mold growth? Should I just put it outside and hope that the neighborhood animals are not too attracted to it? Or am I stuck with it until it collapses?

TIA!

lizzywednesday
10-14-2015, 02:12 PM
The ILs visited this weekend and insisted on carving a pumpkin with The Biscuit, even though Halloween is weeks away.

So now I have a carved pumpkin in my house and it already is starting to grow mold on the inside. Yech!!

Any remediation suggestions? Is there something I can spray or spread on the inside that will slow the mold growth? Should I just put it outside and hope that the neighborhood animals are not too attracted to it? Or am I stuck with it until it collapses?

TIA!

You don't want to hear it, but once it starts to mold, there's nothing you can do to save it.

Toss it in the trash. Sorry!

AngB
10-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Toss it in the trash. Sorry!

:yeahthat:

IL's strike again!

Simon
10-14-2015, 02:15 PM
I'd take a few pictures with Ds next to it, then stick it on the front porch (if that's an option) and let it die slowly for a few more days before composting/trashing it.

daisysmom
10-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Where we live (humid southeast, it is 80 today I think), all of the pumpkins mold once cut. We don't ever cut pumpkins until the day before Halloween. I would put it on the porch and it will collapse into itself soon enough, then trash it.

rlu
10-14-2015, 04:41 PM
When I was a kid my friend purposely cut hers early, let the mold grow down from the lid and then flipped the lid on Halloween for a punk rocker pumpkin.

It's a goner - sorry! Out it goes, either trash or on the porch.

Pennylane
10-14-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm sure it's too late, but my friend soaks hers in bleach overnight after carving and swears they last for weeks!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
10-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Any antifungal athlete's foot spray!!

Corie
10-14-2015, 05:17 PM
I think I read on Pinterest that you should put a silica packet inside the pumpkin. I just went to Pinterest and typed "prevent mold on pumpkin" in
the search field.

ncat
10-14-2015, 09:56 PM
I always wait until the day before Halloween to carve for exactly that reason, but usually get close to a week before I need to throw it out. I'd like to think that burning a candle in it helps, but have not tried a controlled experiment.

carolinacool
10-14-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm sure it's too late, but my friend soaks hers in bleach overnight after carving and swears they last for weeks!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I do. The last two years, our pumpkins have lasted a full week.

Meatball Mommie
10-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Maybe use some bleach spray to see if it will kill the mold? It's definitely not going to last until Halloween though. Especially inside your house (don't know what your outside temp is but that's usually better). I agree with others - maybe stage a photo shoot and them toss into the woods?

oneplustwo
10-15-2015, 09:58 PM
After we carve our pumpkins, I slick some Vaseline on all the cut surfaces (but not the hollowed out interior). I can't remember where I learned to do this, but it keeps mold from growing for a very decent amount of time. No idea if this helps once mold starts to grow. In that case, I think I'd either try bleach or cut off the moldy part and then after doing either of those two, I'd apply a thin layer of Vaseline.