PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian or Contemporary?

123LuckyMom
10-15-2015, 04:52 PM
We'll have an outer building garden view room at the Grand Floridian or a standard tower room at the Contemporary. The price difference is about $150 total, so it's a toss up price wise. Our kids will be 7 and almost 4. We get out of the room before rope drop, return to the hotel for afternoon siesta, and spend most nights at MK, because we love the electrical parade and fireworks there so much. One night we'll do Fantasia. We don't use the pools, which I know is mind boggling to some. We want to feel immersed in Disney and have ease of access to the parks/hotel with our strollers and exhausted kids! What would you do?

spunkybaby
10-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I would choose the Contemporary. Being able to walk to MK in 7 minutes and not worry about catching a shuttle, monorail, boat…heavenly! You would be able to make it to MK before rope drop without having to factor in extra time in case the monorail is down, etc.

123LuckyMom
10-15-2015, 06:26 PM
I would choose the Contemporary. Being able to walk to MK in 7 minutes and not worry about catching a shuttle, monorail, boat…heavenly! You would be able to make it to MK before rope drop without having to factor in extra time in case the monorail is down, etc.

This is what I was thinking. I'm just wondering if the kids would like the decor/theming of the Grand Floridian much better. Maybe the coolness of the monorail going through the building might make up for the lack of decor.

And I meant Fantasmic, not Fantasia-- silly me!

hillview
10-15-2015, 07:44 PM
contemporary IME

LKMang
10-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Agreed I would also pick contemporary. We just stayed at gf and it was beautiful but not really our taste. And I would have loved to be able to walk to magic kingdom cause the monorail was a pain at times. My older DS is 6 and he thinks the monorail going through the contemporary is the coolest thing ever.

123LuckyMom
10-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Great! We'll save a few bucks! Thanks for confirming what I thought.

I have another question I think I'll post under a separate thread, but please chime in if you have an opinion.

If I can save about $200 booking the hotel myself through a site like travelocity and ordering tickets through undercover tourist, is there any reason to book a package through a travel agent? I keep asking the agent if she can match my rates, but she keeps pushing the package and saying it's easier to book that way and easier to do the magic bands and such. Is it $200 easier, or can she just not match my price but wants the commission (for which I blame her not at all)? Would you do it yourself or book through the agent?