PDA

View Full Version : Flu shot and pneumonia - quick question

mackmama
10-17-2015, 04:57 PM
DC was diagnosed with pneumonia 3 days ago. :( DC has since been on antibiotics for 3 days and is thankfully doing great (great energy and appetite, no fever, still just has a junky cough which pedi said could last for weeks). Pedi isn't sure if DC's pneumonia is contagious since they didn't do a sputum test.

My question - can I go ahead and get a flu shot now, or should I hold off in case I end up catching this pneumonia? DH and DC already have their flu shots. I asked pedi her opinion, and she said it's fine to get my flu shot now. DH and I both have some minor cold symptoms right now, so unsure whether that's just us catching DC's original cold or if somehow we are developing pneumonia. I just *really* want to get this flu shot due to some travels ahead.

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2015, 05:30 PM
None of my friends whose kids had pneumonia caught it. Not a scientifically significant analysis but I wouldn't expect to catch it.

PZMommy
10-17-2015, 06:49 PM
I've never caught pneumonia from my DS and he sleeps right next to me when he gets it. He has lung issues, so he is more prone to get it.

BananaMama
10-17-2015, 07:14 PM
I had pneumonia last year and no one in my house caught it. According to my doctor it's difficult to pass on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
10-18-2015, 04:09 PM
For those who said no one else got pneumonia in the household... Did anyone else get sick at all (like from the original cold that then led to the pneumonia)? DH woke this morning with a cough and feeing crummy. :(. We are clueless as to whether it's possibly pneumonia or just the original bug that led to DC's pneumonia.

PZMommy
10-18-2015, 05:10 PM
For those who said no one else got pneumonia in the household... Did anyone else get sick at all (like from the original cold that then led to the pneumonia)? DH woke this morning with a cough and feeing crummy. :(. We are clueless as to whether it's possibly pneumonia or just the original bug that led to DC's pneumonia.

Yes, I've caught a cold at the same time, but mine just stayed a cold. It never progressed beyond that.

KrisM
10-18-2015, 05:55 PM
DS2 had pneumonia last winter. I slept with him for nights/days on end trying to keep him propped to sleep. I never got sick or a cold. I think DD had a cold by the end, but it was just a cold.

DD's had it twice and I don't remember anyone getting sick from her at all.

mackmama
10-18-2015, 11:42 PM
OK so for those who responded... think it's okay to go ahead and get a flu shot now (even though I'm having some minor cold symptoms)? DH's cold is worse today.

ETA: I'm so sorry that you all either had pneumonia or have a child who had it! I hope all have recovered without any further issues.