PDA

View Full Version : Washable cotton comforter (not duvet cover)?

pastrygirl
10-19-2015, 12:43 PM
I've almost had it with trying to make the top bunk bed! Of course my kids would love the grippy jersey/flannel sheets that make it even harder to make the bed. The flat sheet always ends up in a ball at the foot of the bed, and working against its superglue-like properties is a thankless battle.

I love the idea of a bunk bed or loft to save on space, so I want to make this work without losing my mind.

I bought cotton comforters last year, but then read that once you wash them (this particular brand -- Hilfiger), they are ruined because the filling bunches up into one area and can't be spread out. I haven't even tried to wash them. I had a cotton comforter from college until I was married (10+ years) that I washed all the time and it always looked great. I never used a flat sheet when I had that comforter. My sister now has had it for 15 years, and it's still going strong!

I'd LOVE to find something with that kind of durability so that I can finally ditch the bunk bed trauma! It just needs to be cotton or mostly cotton. We can't handle the feel of synthetics for bedding.

Duvet covers are a whole other level of trauma for me, so those are not an option.

ETA: I don't care much about fading... I'll take fading over bunching issues.

baymom
10-19-2015, 01:27 PM
What size? DD has had a Target cotton comforter (Circo, maybe?) for years and it's washed great for us. It is from the kids line and only come in twin size, I believe. I keep thinking she's going to age out of the design and want a different one, but since it's reversible, she now likes to use the opposite (patterned) side.

pastrygirl
10-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Twin. I loved our Circo quilts -- they always washed up well. I'll take a look at the comforters, thanks!

baymom
10-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Oh dear, I think ours might be a Circo quilt, not a comforter. :( I just looked it up on the Target website and even though they don't sell the one DD has anymore, I *think* it would have been classified as a quilt because of all the stitching inside it. Any reason to switch to a comforter from your quilt? Just a new look, or are they warmer? If you are going for warmer, than would your kids tolerate a blanket between the flat sheet and the quilt? My kids love the weight of heavier blankets over them in the winter.

pastrygirl
10-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Comforters have a lot of stuffing, like a duvet, so they are warmer than quilts. :) I'm trying to eliminate layers so that my son just has to pull one thing up and his bed is made.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2015, 12:52 PM
I've been happy with light-to-midweight comforters from IKEA.

No complaints about washing them, and I haven't noticed the fill bunching.

1mom2dylan
10-22-2015, 02:21 PM
http://beddys.com/

legaleagle
10-22-2015, 07:01 PM
I've been very happy with our garnet hill primaloft ones. We've dealt with a fair amount of bed wetting so they've been washed many times

gamma
10-26-2015, 08:42 PM
The top bunk is really a challenge. Instead of a comforter, my DIL used a sleeping bag on top of the fitted sheet for the top and bottom bunk. The boys slipped into the sleeping bag very easily at night and stayed covered.

ahisma
01-08-2016, 03:11 PM
We have this on our top bunk and like it a lot. Target, 100% cotton, survived the first wash very well (we dried on low). We ahve the same on on the bottom bunk - both boys are pleased. http://www.target.com/p/reversible-star-quilt-set/-/A-23963794#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=Reversible+Star+Quilt+Set

ETA: We have flannel sheets on the bed with it, if that helps. Hasn't been an issue.

Mikey0709
01-08-2016, 03:26 PM
We have 2 we use on the top of our bunk bed that i have washed MANY times with great luck:

A down comforter from Garnet Hill. LOVE these - we bought the dark colored ones so no duvet necessary and it IS very soft cotton. worth every penny... and have washed quite a few times and it comes out great.

and i have to say i have washed our IKEA comforters quite a few times and they still look great - but don't believe they are cotton.

teresah00
01-09-2016, 01:22 AM
Days has a down comforter from garnet hill. It's been washed a number of times and held up well.