PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding:Is this normal? Update in 16.

trcy
10-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Please forgive me, it has been almost 5 years since I had a newborn. So I feel like I am relearning everything. DS was born last week. He nurses well, but when he latches on it HURTS! As he nurses it is slightly uncomfortable but not too bad. But the latching brings tears to my eyes, I have to hold my breath. Is this normal with early nursing? Anything I can do? I don't remember this with DD but it was a while ago. TIA!

Pilotbaby
10-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Please forgive me, it has been almost 5 years since I had a newborn. So I feel like I am relearning everything. DS was born last week. He nurses well, but when he latches on it HURTS! As he nurses it is slightly uncomfortable but not too bad. But the latching brings tears to my eyes, I have to hold my breath. Is this normal with early nursing? Anything I can do? I don't remember this with DD but it was a while ago. TIA!

A little tenderness is normal but it shouldn't hurt quite that bad. Lots of people experience that level of pain though, so its not unusual. That being said, you shouldn't have to have that much pain. Is there a La Leche League in your area? Or does your hospital/ birthing center have a lactation consultant? Most likely it is an issue with his latch that can be fixed:) Also, have you tried different nursing positions? And good job Momma for not giving up!

citymama
10-20-2015, 03:28 PM
I agree. What I recall is that breasts have to be re-acquainted with the chafing factor (kind of like developing callouses on fingers for guitar playing ;)). So you end up with irritation, but there shouldn't be pain. I wonder if he needs help with his latch. Does lanolin/lansinoh make it any better?

I am so sorry, and hope you can get some help soon!

Philly Mom
10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
That sounds like he is tongue tied. I would see a lactation consultant and/or have a doctor look for tongue tie. I do think a change of positions may help too. I had this issue with both kids at times. It is awful. It is definitely not right. Congrats btw!

SnuggleBuggles
10-20-2015, 03:40 PM
If you sucked on your pinky for many hours/ day, it'd be sore too. But, shouldn't hurt that much. Mother Love nip cream is awesome stuff!

Green_Tea
10-20-2015, 03:50 PM
I'll be the voice of dissent. Latching on brought tears to my eyes with DD #1. We saw a lactation consultant and several doctors weighed in and they all said the same thing - I was doing everything right. The first 6 weeks were brutal, but it did get better and I nursed for 13 months. I think sometimes it really just does just hurt in the beginning.

That said, definitely get someone to eyeball the situation for you in case there is something that could be done differently! I found that changing my hold and nursling lying down helped alleviate the pain.

mikala
10-20-2015, 04:10 PM
I'll be the voice of dissent. Latching on brought tears to my eyes with DD #1. We saw a lactation consultant and several doctors weighed in and they all said the same thing - I was doing everything right. The first 6 weeks were brutal, but it did get better and I nursed for 13 months. I think sometimes it really just does just hurt in the beginning.

That said, definitely get someone to eyeball the situation for you in case there is something that could be done differently! I found that changing my hold and nursling lying down helped alleviate the pain.
This was my experience with my 2nd. He had a really strong latch and it flat out hurt when he chomped down. I saw two lactation counselors and my dr to make sure our positioning was good and was extra gentle between feedings with lots of cream and loose clothing. I also used the softshell covers between feedings for a bit.

It did subside in a few weeks but I can't remember how long. We also introduced a pacifier fairly early on to give when he seemed to be comfort nursing because he was gaining well and just seemed to have a very strong sucking urge. After things evened out he was a champion nurser and we continued comfortably for well over a year. I'm so glad I stuck out the painful first days.

flashy09
10-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Really hurt with both the first 3-4 weeks of latching on and then it was totally fine and pain free! I seriously couldn't believe they didn't have teeth the pain was so awful. The Medela lanolin helped a lot and it just gradually got better.

trcy
10-21-2015, 08:46 AM
OP here, thanks for all of your insight.
I think his latch may not be the best. I notice is lips are in rather than out. Quite literally it feels like some is squeezing and twisting my nipples with needle nose pliers. If I really slow him down and really guide him t is not as bad. But still, they are pretty sore. I am using lanolin after every nursing session and that has help with dry/chapped issues. But the soreness, omg! It probably doesn't help that I have the early nursing envorgement either. I am hoping this will pass quickly. Any tips to get him to latch better automatically? DD latched correctly from the beginning. TIA!

123LuckyMom
10-21-2015, 09:30 AM
I think his latch may not be the best. I notice is lips are in rather than out. Quite literally it feels like some is squeezing and twisting my nipples with needle nose pliers. If I really slow him down and really guide him t is not as bad. But still, they are pretty sore. I am using lanolin after every nursing session and that has help with dry/chapped issues. But the soreness, omg! It probably doesn't help that I have the early nursing envorgement either. I am hoping this will pass quickly. Any tips to get him to latch better automatically? DD latched correctly from the beginning. TIA!

I would definitely try to contact a lactation consultant. Many areas have them available free of charge. With DS, who's my oldest, I had lots of trouble nursing. He was tongue tied, but even after that was fixed I had a lot of pain. I used nipple shields, and they helped enormously! I used them for longer than I should have, probably, a couple of months, I think. I went on to nurse him for a little over two years. We also used holds like the football hold and such, and that helped. DD latched fine right away, I held her right in front, and I didn't have any pain from nursing her, so it can be very different depending on the baby and other factors. You can get the shields at Target, but a lactation consultant will probably have them to give you.

Pilotbaby
10-21-2015, 09:34 AM

Can you help readjust his lips after he is latched on? Have you tried the football hold? Also, try squeezing your breast like a sandwich to help him get a better latch. You want him to have a wide mouth and it sounds like his lips being in might preventing that. Also put milk on yourself after nursing and let that dry first before using lanolin. That will help with pain too. Really does sound like his latch needs some adjustment. Try La Leche League if you can. They might even send someone to your house if they have someone available. Hang in there, it will get much easier!

okinawama
10-21-2015, 07:14 PM

Completely agree with everything here. Before my sons came, I felt like so many people told me, "if it hurts, something isnt right." So I saw so many doctors, nurse, lactation consultants, laleche leage leaders for the first 4 weeks of DS's life because I swore something wasn't right with his latch. I experienced the same kind of pain you describe. I had to have a pillow near me solely so that I could squeeze it when DS latched on. After about 5-15 seconds of nursing it was much more bearable, but initially it was excruciating. Each professional and breastfeeding expert I saw told me "everything looks great," "keep doing what you're doing." It did get better after the first 4-5 weeks, and by week 6ish, it was pain free. But initially, it was SOOOOO painful. So, long story short, for me, what you are experiencing was "normal."

Liziz
10-22-2015, 01:13 PM
I had to stop as soon as I read this to say that it can be totally normal for it to hurt like crazy early on. With both DD's, even when latch was okay, I'd start to nurse, and get let-down almost immediately (I was so engorged early on too, that didn't help).....and it would HURT SO BAD for the first 30 seconds or so. I'm talking brings tears to my eyes, have to clench my teeth, can't speak pain. And then after about 30 seconds, it would get way better, and the rest of the nursing session was fine. With both girls, this happened every nursing session for the first few weeks -- and then it was gone and nursing has been totally pain-free since then. Don't give up, and don't get discouraged because so many people say "if it hurts, something's wrong". I just found that's totally not true (for me or several friends) -- but it can still be healthy normal nursing.

But, if you have access to a lactation consultant, I'd also suggest you meet with one -- even though all was going "fine", it really helped my confidence to have some reassurance from a pro, and she also gave me some ideas and positioning help that were just slightly different from what I had been doing that made a difference.

Mommy_Mea
10-22-2015, 02:26 PM

This was my experience with DS1 as well. I tried everything, spending $$ on lactation consultants, every position, etc, but in the end it just seemed to take time. I nursed him until 14 months, and the pain went away after the first few months. DS2 hurt, but not nearly as much...

BDKmom
10-22-2015, 03:30 PM
I agree with the advice many PPs are giving: could be totally normal for you/ your child, but check with a lactation consultant if you can. My ped has a nurse on staff who is also a LC, as did my OB with my DS. I remember having to curl my toes and bite my lip every time DS latched for at least several weeks. And that was after seeing the LC. I found it key to make sure his mouth was open very wide before trying to latch. Good luck to you. Hope things improve quickly.

trcy
11-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Update...
So I have been really careful to make sure he is latching correctly. It has gotten much better and I no longer cringe when it is feeding time. I think is was a combination of new nursing, engorgement and a bad latch. Thanks again for all of your help!

Liziz
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
Yay! So glad to hear it's gotten so much better. Kudos to you for working through it!

123LuckyMom
11-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Hooray!!!!! I'm so glad it's gotten easier!

citymama
11-05-2015, 09:22 PM
Great update!