PDA

View Full Version : Purging Baby/kid items

Globetrotter
10-26-2015, 01:48 PM
I have a hard time letting go of certain baby items, like the Gymboree type blankets. I was still hanging onto those for some reason.
With the kid's help, I chose one blanket for each child to keep in their memory box. I took pictures of the rest of them to use as photo book backgrounds one day:rolleye0014: so now I can give those away to an organization that collects baby items for low income mothers :-)

As far as clothes go, I chose a couple of outfits per child and donated the rest. In that case, I already had pictures of the kids wearing them.

I plan to take pictures of some of the cherished toys, particularly playMobil. I think I am really attached to those :-) A picture takes up hardly any space but can still bring back the memories. Why clutter our houses with stuff that will probably never get used again?

mmsmom
10-26-2015, 02:52 PM
My mother quilts so I am planning to have her make a quilt for each DC with their baby blankets. I have a plastic bin with a few favorite outfits. All other clothes were passed down, consigned or donated. I have given a lot of toys, books, etc to my mom bc she has a playroom for when the local grandkids come over. I also have a plastic tub of cherished and timeless toys and books that I am saving to either give to DC when they become parents or to have at my house for when the grandkids visit.

jerseygirl07067
10-27-2015, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Globetrotter;4143210]I have a hard time letting go of certain baby items, like the Gymboree type blankets. I was still hanging onto those for some reason.
With the kid's help, I chose one blanket for each child to keep in their memory box. I took pictures of the rest of them to use as photo book backgrounds one day:rolleye0014: so now I can give those away to an organization that collects baby items for low income mothers :-)

As far as clothes go, I chose a couple of outfits per child and donated the rest. In that case, I already had pictures of the kids wearing them.

I plan to take pictures of some of the cherished toys, particularly playMobil. I think I am really attached to those :-) A picture takes up hardly any space but can still bring back the memories. Why clutter our houses with stuff that will probably never get used again?[/QUOTE

As much as I love to purge, I have the hardest time with baby stuff! I've gotten rid of most baby toys but there are a few I've kept...same goes for outfits except I have more of those... . I have 3 space bags of baby outfits, as well as a baby box for each child (which I will keep since it sparks joy). But I even have papers from my mommy and me and lamaze classes I can't get rid of. I know logically the papers have served their purpose but it was one of my favorite times in my life....being pregnant and when my kids were babies. I still think about them being babies every day. I am definitely attached to that time period!

I can see why mementos are saved for last with the Marie Kondo method, and if I can part with other things, but still wind up holding onto the baby memories, I guess it isn't too bad!

Just recently I finally got rid of baby towels and washcloths, as well as baby bath stuff I still had! I still have some blankets but I've pared them down immensely!