PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do I wear booties?

WitMom
10-27-2015, 07:58 AM
I bought a cute pair of Toms Wedge booties over the weekend, but now my problem is how to wear them. I've seen a lot of photos of people cuffing their (skinny) jeans....does it look okay to just wear your jeans straight? The cuffed jeans give me flash backs to rolling your jeans and tucking them in your high tops.

Here's a link to the boots:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/toms-desert-wedge-bootie-women/4034024?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=CASTLEROCK+GREY+SUEDE&resultback=810

If I do cuff them, any tricks to make it look "casual" or "messy" and not like I tried to hard lol.

ECUPirateMom
10-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Following because I'm in the same boat. However my sister has those same desert wedge Tom's and she usually wears then with cuffed skinny jeans however that is not a flattering look on me (she adore these shows but I just can't wear that high of a wedge bc I'm 5'10 :) Anyway, I got some Sam Edelman booties and am struggling with incorporating them into my wardrobe which is frustrating because I love them and they were $$$!!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
10-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Well, I rolled up my straight leg jeans today with booties. Thought it looked ok. I don't roll skinny jeans. I wouldn't have rolled these ones but they are too long and too wide to go in the booties. Booties with boot cut jeans remain my favorite. But, my favorite jeans right now, bc of fit and comfort, are straight so trying to make them work.

theriviera
10-27-2015, 11:56 PM
I do a small cuff on skinny jeans - like just the hem. I think it looks better when you can see a bit of your ankle.

Edited to add:

http://www.babble.com/style/the-dos-and-donts-of-cuffing-your-jeans-with-ankle-boots-part-1/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastrygirl
10-28-2015, 09:07 AM
I have so many booties, and finally realized that I feel silly wearing them with cuffed jeans, etc. I'm giving up on them this year.

gatorsmom
10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
That Babble blog is interesting. I honestly disagree with the author though, about the different ways to wear booties. I think the only way that looks good is with a roll and showing some skin. And honestly, I only think it looks good on model-thin women with long legs. Unless they are being worn with same-colored pencil pants or tights that are the same color and a dress (in which case the long line of the same colored tights (or pants) and shoes mAke the leg look longer), I think the roll makes the leg look choppy. I am short with a pear shape and a big behind and rolled up jeans and booties look ridiculous on me. I'll be really happy when this trend fades.

lovin2shop
10-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Add me to list of ones who hoping this trend dies out really soon! I just don't need another horizontal line breaking up my already short legs. I do wear my skinnies cuffed showing some skin, but it still isn't all that flattering. But, for some reason, I really love wearing booties, so usually just go with it. I wish I could figure out how to make my cuff more streamlined though. I have really skinny ankles, so the cuffs are often too wide and baggy.

I do think that bootcuts are coming back in style, so I'm definitely getting a pair this year. These are way more flattering on me, but I do have issues because of my height. I'm too short for most jeans, and when you alter a boot cut, it often distorts the proportions. And, I'm just a bit too tall to wear Petite sizes. Le sigh, jeans are so hard, and yet I wear them almost every day!

ETA: Today, I'm wearing long skinnies, not rolled with short booties. The length of my jeans just happens to match up really well with the short bootie, so that there is no scrunch in the leg. This is fairly close to one of the "no" photos, so not exactly on trend, but it definitely helps lengthen my leg line and creates a smoother vertical line while still showing off the booties.

smilequeen
10-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Boot cut and flare is back in style and I've been wearing booties with them. I really like the baby bootcuts. I have those exact shoes in black and wore them with boot cuts this weekend.

The cuff looks nice but I find it uncomfortable so I only use taller boots with my skinny jeans.

wendibird22
10-28-2015, 03:52 PM
I've yet to figure it out. I've longed for the Sam Edelman's and have had them in my cart on Amazon for a year. But like gatorsmom, I'm short and pear shaped and I can't make it work. I also only wear jeans on the weekend and don't go anywhere that it makes sense to put on booties. I'm either running a kid to dance or just around the house doing laundry and paying bills. Ballet flats, Toms, and the like work fine for that. I do have two pair of shooties, that end below my ankle bone and those work so much better for me. I can pair them with dress pants, boot cut jeans just fine and then wear with tights and a skirt/dress and not look like I have stubby legs or cankles.

Mommy_Mea
10-29-2015, 08:50 AM
I have a pair of Clarks wedge booties that I have been slowly figuring out how to wear. I love wearing them with tights in cold weather when I want to be dressy, a much more practical choice then heels! And I have worn them with a pair of black ankle length pants that leave the perfect slice of skin showing.

I got the booties at Salvation Army for $15, so luckily it wasn't a huge investment to try out the look. I am definitely not tall and skinny (5'7" and size 14), but it is fun to change up my look :)

Kindra178
10-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Boot cut and flare is back in style and I've been wearing booties with them. I really like the baby bootcuts. I have those exact shoes in black and wore them with boot cuts this weekend.

The cuff looks nice but I find it uncomfortable so I only use taller boots with my skinny jeans.

What baby bootcuts do you like?

jennilynn
10-29-2015, 01:50 PM
I second PPs on bootcut and flares. Also tights and skirts/dresses or leggings and tunics. The skinnies/booties combo is tricky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inmypjs
10-30-2015, 01:17 AM
I am so glad someone else is stumped by this. I have 2 pair of booties and also can't figure out how to wear them with my skinny or straight jeans. I like the cuffed look - but um, it's cold here! Are we not supposed to wear booties in the fall or winter? Seriously I can't handle having bits of my skin show when it's 30-40 degrees out.

pastrygirl
10-30-2015, 08:01 AM
I am so glad someone else is stumped by this. I have 2 pair of booties and also can't figure out how to wear them with my skinny or straight jeans. I like the cuffed look - but um, it's cold here! Are we not supposed to wear booties in the fall or winter? Seriously I can't handle having bits of my skin show when it's 30-40 degrees out.Yes -- that's exactly the problem! When you see booties on models, they're always shown with skin visible. It's just not practical here where we have truly cold falls and winters! Maybe in California?

ett
10-30-2015, 09:38 AM
Yes -- that's exactly the problem! When you see booties on models, they're always shown with skin visible. It's just not practical here where we have truly cold falls and winters! Maybe in California?

That's my problem too! I've only worn mine with skirts/dresses and tights.

smilequeen
10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
What baby bootcuts do you like?

These are mine :)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/wit-wisdom-absolution-itty-bitty-bootcut-jeans-dark-indigo/4020289?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=&resultback=406

I have some from Kut from the Kloth too, but I don't see them online. I just ordered these and they look less flared

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kut-from-the-kloth-natalie-stretch-bootcut-jeansbeneficial/4064860?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=704

I think I'm going to try these too since the price rocks

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/treasurebond-slim-bootcut-jeans-dark/3606286?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=638

bcafe
10-30-2015, 12:33 PM
I love the baby boot cuts and flares but I have the opposite problem with the inseams. They are so long!

baymom
10-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Just to clarify, are baby boot cuts less wide than regular boot cuts but wider than a straight leg? I am in inverted triangle, so broad shoulders and narrow hips and feel like boot cuts (but not flares!) balance me out the best. Now I'm intrigued to try the baby boot cut, though!