PDA

View Full Version : New forum! Check in!

Meatball Mommie
10-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Well we asked and they delivered!

So how about a quick check in?

I'm Karen from MA
Joined BBB when pregnant with DS1 who is now 12 (7th grade)
Ds2 is 10 (5th grade)

Besides the usual stuff, we are currently dealing with bed wetting with DS1 as well as executive functioning issues (likely ADD) Nothing with DS2 except having a sibling with issues lol.

jren
10-30-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm Jill from NC. DD is almost 12 (6th grade) with a younger brother in 1st grade. Dealing with her outright defiant attitude and trying to control my temper when she looks me right in the eye and backtalks me!

hellokitty
10-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Hey, this is great! I didn't know that there was going to be a tween/teen board! I've been around for a while, changed usernames at one point, since I forgot what my original username was. My oldest is in 6th grade (middle school). Our biggest issue right now is that he is still disorganized about homework and assignments, and I feel like I have been working on this forever with him and he STILL.DOES.NOT.GET.IT! He is a good student, but due to disorganization, he forgets to bring home homework or turn in assignments and it has affected his grades due to him being careless or forgetful. Yes, the school has given them assignment calendars/planners since 3rd grade to use and he has always been rotten at utilizing it. The answer I get is always, "I forgot to write down the assignment." UGH. Otherwise, he has been more rude than usual since starting middle school... I think he has picked up that tween sass.

I guess that I forgot that 10 yr olds fall under this category too! DS2 is 10, but so far there haven't been any tween type of issues.

anonomom
10-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Hi all, I'm in semi-denial about this, but DD1 reminds me on a near-daily basis that she's almost a tween ( she turns 10 in December). My biggest challenge with her is trying to get her out of her own head. She seems to have regressed this school year, with both of her teachers mentioning that she appears not to be listening to them at all.

bigsis
10-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey mamas! I have a 12yo DD and a 10yo DS. We have a lot to talk about!!! :)

pinkmomagain
10-30-2015, 09:37 PM
This is very exciting. I hope it takes off because it's a little crazy that I'm still on a "baby" board. I have a 19 yo in her sophomore year of college, a 16 yo who is a junior in high school, and my tween who just turned 10 and is in 5th grade. I guess right now my focus is on my 16 yo who is in the middle of driving lessons and is gearing up for SAT prep soon as she'll probably take it in the spring. She has ADHD and anxiety so there have been challenges. We are also starting to look at colleges for her. She will be going for Art and will need to develop a stellar portfolio. Looking forward to hearing what's going on for others!

bcafe
10-30-2015, 09:46 PM
My DD2 will soon be 13 and DS2 is 10.5 so we are in the thick of it. I have 2 that have already passed this stage too. It's so much fun!! ....... ;)

georgiegirl
10-30-2015, 09:53 PM
DD is 9.5, so I guess she is a tween. She's much easier than my two boys (6 and 2). My biggest concern is puberty.

RedSuedeShoes
10-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Yay! I'm happy to see this forum as well.

I think I first found this forum when my oldest was a baby/toddler...can't really remember, but I know I've been around (mostly lurking) a long time!

I live in the northwest, and have DS1 who's just turned 15 (and got his learner's permit *today* - somebody hold me! Seriously...why do they not pass out Xanax samples to the parents at the same time? Drug marketers, take note!), DD who's 10 and DS2 who's 6.

lalasmama
10-30-2015, 10:42 PM
So excited about this part of the boards!

I'm Mimi, with a 11yo quickly approaching 12... But she's sure she's in her teens already ;) We also have 2 adult DDs @ 23yo and 24yo.

We're definitely in a challenging phase right now... lots of legalistic language to try to avoid trouble, pushing limits, etc., but I know it's all normal. Just really flipping annoying!

She's got her own set of challenges with ADHD, adoption issues (namely the loss of the relationship with her birth mother and accepting the effects of biological mom's drug use in pregnancy)... Oh, and dealing with a house of younger boys at our house, by way of our best friends living with us. She's getting through it, but I have no doubt a fair amount of her behavior is because of that! It's tough to sit back and deal with a bunch of little ones getting attention and not at least try to get some attention too.... Doesn't make it easier though, even knowing that!

geochick
10-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Hi,
I'm in Salt Lake City, UT. My 11 year old ds has the deepest voice in his 6th grade class. He's already using acne cream, and he has men's size 10 feet. What?! Who?! When?! Where?! I had no idea puberty could hit so early and so hard.

baymom
10-30-2015, 11:40 PM
We live in the SF Bay Area and have an 11 year old DS who just started middle school and a 9.5 year old DD in 4th grade. I've been a lurker since DS was a baby, but joined much later. I'm so happy to have a teen board here and all of you to bounce things off of!

StantonHyde
10-30-2015, 11:42 PM
So glad to see this. I have been on these boards since before DS (13) was born and I want to stay as my kids grow up!!

sdjeppa
10-30-2015, 11:54 PM
Hey, this is great! I didn't know that there was going to be a tween/teen board! I've been around for a while, changed usernames at one point, since I forgot what my original username was. My oldest is in 6th grade (middle school). Our biggest issue right now is that he is still disorganized about homework and assignments, and I feel like I have been working on this forever with him and he STILL.DOES.NOT.GET.IT! He is a good student, but due to disorganization, he forgets to bring home homework or turn in assignments and it has affected his grades due to him being careless or forgetful. Yes, the school has given them assignment calendars/planners since 3rd grade to use and he has always been rotten at utilizing it. The answer I get is always, "I forgot to write down the assignment." UGH. Otherwise, he has been more rude than usual since starting middle school... I think he has picked up that tween sass.

Ah! This is my son! We even have a computer program that gives us real time access to grades and assignments and he still forgets!

Jenny from So Cal here...I'm a long time lurker/poster on the boards. DS1 is 12 and in 6th grade, DS2 is 5. Well into the tween moodiness too!

Globetrotter
10-31-2015, 01:37 AM
I hope this takes off! I was really feeling embarrassed about being on the BBB, but I can't seem to leave lol

I have a 12 year old ds and dd is in 11th grade. Pinkmomagain, we too are in college mode - yikes!

Neatfreak
10-31-2015, 01:59 AM
I'm here, even if it's not very often! My oldest is 11 years old and in sixth grade, and I swear that back when I joined the diaper bag that everyone wanted was called and Ella Bag or something. Now my DD is hoping for Under Armour :)

citymama
10-31-2015, 02:11 AM
I've been on the boards 10 years, since I was pregnant with DD1 who is nearing 10 now, and has long acted like she's in full blown adolescent angst. Look forward to learning from you mamas with slightly older kids just as I did the basics of nursing and potty training many years ago!

essnce629
10-31-2015, 04:50 AM
I live in Los Angeles and have a 12 year old DS1 who is in 7th grade and a 6 year old DS2. DS1 has not hit puberty yet, no signs at all, but does wear size 10 shoes already! Our biggest challenges so far in the past year have been dealing with his puzzling health issues, which we've pretty much narrowed down to inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis to be exact and multiple food sensitivities. School has gone well for DS and he's at a small charter middle school (6-8). He's definitely more organized than last year! Outside of school, he swims competitively and does fencing as well (sabre).

egoldber
10-31-2015, 08:34 AM
My older DD is 14 and a freshman in high school this year!!!

Even younger DD probably fits more here since she is 9 going on 19 LOL!

Gracemom
10-31-2015, 08:37 AM
I have a 12 year old daughter who is in 7th grade and a 9 year old DS. So happy to see this forum! My dd has been a pretty easy going kid until recently. Mood swings suck!

octmom
10-31-2015, 09:07 AM
Jerilyn in VA here. I still read sometimes but don't post often. My son just turned 12 this week (6th grade) and my daughter is 9, will be 10 in March (4th grade). I migrated here from a Baby Center board when DS was a newborn, and I'm still in regular contact with a bunch of moms from my early years here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

willow33
10-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Hello everyone! So happy they started this board! DS1 is 12 in 7th grade and thinks he knows everything already. Anyone else having this problem? DS2 is 10 in 5th grade and I have a DD in 1st grade that sometimes acts like she's a teenager!

Twoboos
10-31-2015, 09:42 AM
I'm also in MA, DD1 is turning 12 next week, DD2 is 10. DH lives in fear of all of us having Aunt Flo at the same time. :rotflmao:

I still have that Dragon Fly print diaper bag I *HAD* to have thanks to this board - my first BBB influenced purchase, LOL!

JustMe
10-31-2015, 10:58 AM
Hello everyone!

I have a 12 year old dd. I joined when I was adopting her at 11 mos of age.

I also have a 9 year old ds, who I adopted at 4.5. He does not really feel like he has crossed into being a tween yet, but I am sure its coming soon!

urquie
10-31-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks for setting up this new forum! We have an 11yr old DD.

avd3875
10-31-2015, 01:28 PM
This forum could not have come at a better time! DS is turning 12 in two weeks, and most days are very challenging.

MichelleRC
10-31-2015, 03:49 PM
Great idea!! DS1 just turned 13 and DS2 is 11.

LD92599
10-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Been around here since late 2002 (or so) and remember my very first post (a jogging stroller "deal" or so i thought in BJs!).

DS1 is 12. DS2 is 5. They DO. NOT. GET. ALONG. 90% of the time anyway.

DS1 - it's a struggle daily with homework, getting him to do stuff w/ friends, etc. Need to repeat the same thing 2 or 3 times before it's done etc! HELP!

megs4413
11-01-2015, 12:41 AM
I've been here since I was pregnant with my oldest who is now my tween: DD1 (10.) Our biggest struggle right now is that we have a huge gap between our older two and our little one, so I have one foot in toddler land and one foot in tweendom...it's shaky ground.

KpbS
11-01-2015, 12:56 AM
Yea for a tween/teen forum! DS1 is in 6th grade.

JElaineB
11-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Glad to see this new subforum. DS turned 13 a month ago and is in 7th grade. Lots of changes upcoming, I think.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-01-2015, 01:52 AM
I joined when I was pregnant with my now 12 year old. I also have a 7 year old. (and a 24 year old)

as we post about our kids lets keep in mind that these boards are open and searchable by google to anyone on the internet. :) Wouldn't want our kids or worse yet their friends or schoolmates to figure out who has a pimple in an embarrassing place.

melrose7
11-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Hi, I am hesitant to be on the tween board as DD1 is 10 but due to her autism and learning disability she is closer to age 3. But that isn't stopping her body from going through puberty. So not looking forward to this as she doesn't understand anything going on with her body. Add the fact that she has limited language she can't tell me what may be bothering her. Still trying to figure out what to do when her period starts and how to deal with wearing a bra. Hoping I can get some ideas from here even with those with NT kids. I have been on the boards since I was looking for information for the kids I was nannying for who are now 15&17. Hard to see them grown up now. Also have a 8 yr DD and a 5 yr old DS.

mom2binsd
11-01-2015, 02:13 PM
I have a 12 year old DD in 7th and 9 year old DS in 4th!

kdeunc
11-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm Kelly from NC. I joined when DS1 was born in 2002. He will be turning 13 in a month! DS2 will be 11 in December and DD thinks she is a teen despite only being 7. ;)

DS1 is in 7th grade and hasn't really started puberty yet, other than the grouchy disposition. I am excited to see this forum because I know I will want the support of the BBB as I navigate the teen years! :)

MelissaTC
11-01-2015, 06:29 PM
M is 13 and in 8th grade. Despite being eye level with me, his doctor has said he hasn't started puberty yet! My husband didn't get his big growth spurt until high school so I imagine M will follow. We are starting to gather high school info! Yikes!

Corie
11-01-2015, 07:19 PM
I'm Corie from Ohio.

I joined the BBB when I was pregnant with my son who is now 11.

My daughter is 13 but she is turning 14 this month!!

Mommaof3
11-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Hi I have a DD 14 who is a freshman in HS and a DD 12 in 7th grade. DS is 5 going on 15, thanks to having two much older siblings! Happy to see this forum!

connor_mommy
11-02-2015, 12:12 AM
I'm in the Bay Area with two boys ages 9 1/2 and 11 3/4.

rlu
11-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Started lurking BBB before DS was born in 2004.
DS is 11 in 6th grade.

newnana
11-02-2015, 12:44 AM
I'm so excited by this forum! I try not to post personal info, but suffice it to say I've been on the board since my tween DD was in the womb. She is an only and we're navigating all that teen stuff. I have the BBB to thank for everything that has helped me navigate parenting.

For those that remember the dark ages when someone asked me why I have the username of a grandmother, I blame pregnancy brain in a desperate moment to post when every name I could think of was taken. I work too much and commute too far, so read often but post rarely. Just know that i appreciate all the wisdom you all have shared over the years and am looking forward to more with this new phase.

The skin care thread has been enlightening for me! so far DD's face has been mostly clear, but my hormones give me nasty cystic pimples that put me back on the pill (among other reasons). Ridiculous! I'm going to try some of the things recommended.

On that note, I've seen a request on here about driving. Off to start a thread...

Thanks!

sbirmantaz
11-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone! I have been on this site on and off since pregnant with my oldest in 2002. I don't post much but I really value and appreciate all the wisdom and info on this board - it has helped me lots over the years. I look forward to the teen section since I now officially have a teen and a soon to be 12 year old! We had our 2 dds 13 months apart - so will have 2 teens for a long while!

dogmom
11-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Started when pregnant with my first, who will be 13 in a few months!! So a 7th grade boy and a 4th grade girl.

Interesting thought, this forum. I don't hang out much on the boards now, but when I do I definitely get a feeling of, "Was a I really that worried about all of this?" when I read half the posts in the lounge. But it comes from a good place, I would be very reluctant to tell a mom of younger kids, "Oh don't worry about that" or "Enjoy this time" stupid stuff like that. Seems mean.

Besides I LOVE my kids older. I don't miss the younger years.

robinsmommy
11-02-2015, 12:59 PM
So happy to have the new forum! We have DD1, who is 13 and in 7th (and having a hard time with starting middle school), and DD2, who is 8.5 and in 3rd (who makes up for her sister's lack of teen snark with a double dose of her own. Sigh.)

Ah, the fond days of lore when DD1 was in a Fisher Price Stay in View......and the only hormones I had to worry about were my own!

essnce629
11-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Ah, the fond days of lore when DD1 was in a Fisher Price Stay in View......and the only hormones I had to worry about were my own!

Haha, I had a FP Stay in View too! LOVED that carseat!!!

wendibird22
11-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I love seeing all the lurkers come out of hiding LOL! This is great!! So glad there's a place for all the long-timers who've outgrown the baby gear threads.

I'll be a lurker here. My oldest is 8, but because of team sports she has some 9 and 10yr old friends. I've recently purchased the Care and Keeping of You (thank you BBB for the rec) and am noticing that the hair on her legs is getting darker. It'll be nice to have the wisdom of you all to pave the way for me!

PunkyBoo
11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm also happy to see this forum! DS1 is 11 and in 6th grade (and DS2 is 6 and in 1st).

NCGrandma
11-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Haha, I had a FP Stay in View too! LOVED that carseat!!!

Speaking of vintage car seats ... when now-tween-ish DGD1 outgrew her Britax convertible, I ordered a Regent. Remember those? DIL thought I had sent them a Laz-E-Boy by mistake!! Huge!

Thatchermom
11-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I still mourn the loss of our Regent! It was huge but we loved it. DS, now 14, still says it was his most comfortable seat ever. DD, 8, never got to use it. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
11-02-2015, 11:44 PM
We had a Regent too for DS1 and he also loved it and it's super soft fabric! DS2 never got to use it as it expired before he was old enough.

ArizonaGirl
11-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Ladies don't think that your kids are too old, or that you should move on or whatever...

Those of us with littles appreciate your wisdom and advice since you have "been there and done that"

... My kids are far from here 6.5 and 3 but don't go as we will all be here some day...

Kindra178
11-03-2015, 03:26 PM
DS is 9.5!

bisous
11-03-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm another Jen from Southern California.

I have a 12 yo who still acts relatively young--not a whole lot of attitude but we've had issues in middle school and I think this forum is a good place for us.

I also have 8yo and 4yo DSs and a 2yo (tomorrow!) DD.

It IS a juggling act to still have kids that nap and other kids that have school dances. Most of my IRL friends have one set or the other!

Tondi G
11-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm Tondi and we live in Los Angeles. I've been a part of this board since 2000 when I was pregnant with my first!

I have a 14 yr old DS ... a Freshman this year ... pretty sure he's 6'2'' now. I also have a 10 year old DS ... he's in 5th grade.

MaiseyDog
11-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Hi, I'm Margaret and joined the board in 2004 when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter who is now almost 11 yo. I also have an 8 yo daughter.

Percycat
11-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Wow! Having this forum is wonderful. I have enjoyed BBB mostly as a lurker since DS was a baby and have felt embarrased and out of place to be hanging on to a 'baby' board now that my DS is 12 (turns 13 next month) and DD is 10. Although I always felt welcome, now I feel like I belong.

Looking forward to our shared experiences.

JamiMac
11-04-2015, 12:16 AM
Hi! I've been on this board since 2001 when my oldest DD was born! She will be 14 this month and is in 8th grade. She is 5" taller than me and outweighs me by 25 pounds! I also have an 11 year old 5th grade DD and a 7 year son. It's pretty crazy around here now and some days are better than others. ;) I'm glad to have this section of the board.

ett
11-04-2015, 12:38 AM
DS1 is 12 and DS2 is 8. I found this forum from the book and lurked for about a year when DS1 was born before joining. We were all set to buy the Baby Bjorn before reading about the Ergo here.

ladysoapmaker
11-04-2015, 07:07 AM
I'm Jen from Ohio. I have 4 kids, the oldest is my stepson. DS#1 is 19, DS#2 turns 15 today, DD#1 will be 12 at the end of the month and DD#2 is 7. This is the second time I've been on the board, first was when DS#2 was an infant and I stopped visiting when I was focused on school. I rejoined after DD#2 was born.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

scrooks
11-04-2015, 01:07 PM
I'll be a lurker here. My oldest is 8, but because of team sports she has some 9 and 10yr old friends. I've recently purchased the Care and Keeping of You (thank you BBB for the rec) and am noticing that the hair on her legs is getting darker. It'll be nice to have the wisdom of you all to pave the way for me!

This is me too! DD is 8 but I am already trying to prepare myself for what lies ahead.

missym
11-05-2015, 10:03 AM
This is great! Thanks to those who suggested it. I always feel guilty posting questions about my older kids on a "baby" board - plus I don't want to scare the parents of little ones. ;)

DD1 is 12 and in 7th grade. This is her first year in middle school, and it is p.a.i.n.f.u.l. Pre-algebra may push us all over the edge. We are also struggling with defiant behavior.

DD2 is 10 and in 4th grade. School is going well, but the mood swings at home - oy!

So between the two of them, I'm often reminded of the nursery rhyme: "When she was good, she was very good, but when she was bad...." ;)

Meatball Mommie
11-05-2015, 10:41 AM
So between the two of them, I'm often reminded of the nursery rhyme: "When she was good, she was very good, but when she was bad...." ;)

I've thought of that saying many times with my boys lol! Seriously - kids can be so enjoyable sometimes, but completely hellish at others!

lfp2n
11-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Yay so much going on to talk about. DD is 12 and in 7th Grade.

AnnieW625
11-05-2015, 05:12 PM
I am Annie. I joined the Bbb the day I went to do my baby shower registry. I wasn't active much until I was pregnant with baby 2 in 2009.

My Dd1 is 9.5 and is counting down the day until she can get her ears pierced on her 10th birthday in April. Just the other day she asked me turn around when she was changing in to here swimsuit at swim practice while we were in the family bathroom, which she insisted I go in with her.

My younger Dd2 is 5.5 and in kindergarten.

lmintzer
11-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Hi. Just saw this forum the other day, and I'm excited! I'm a BBB member from way back--from late fall of 2000! My older son, Jack, is 14, and in 9th grade. He's a good kid (on paper--couldn't be better: strong academics, talented at soccer and music) but he is starting to give me a run for my money. Okay, well, he always has in some ways (strong personality!). Now add some teen mopey behavior and an addiction to Minecraft, and it's been interesting.

My younger son, Joshua, will be turning 12 this month. He started middle school this fall (6th grade) and has adapted well to all of the big changes. In our district, going from elementary to middle is a much more dramatic shift than from middle to high school. Joshua is my "mama's boy." He's still a little lovey --very affectionate and sweet. He is starting to demonstrate some more "tween-y" behavior, but it somehow feels easier to deal with the 2nd time around--or maybe it's his sweetness that tempers it. He's also doing well in school and is busy with two instruments, soccer, and Hebrew (Bar Mitzvah is in a little over a year). He's not as organized as his brother is, so there is usually a lost paper or book to deal with at least a few times/week. But it's not as bad as I imagined.

I am looking forward to sharing stories and soliciting and sharing advice here in this forum. I think it will prove especially helpful to me, as I am a single parent these days (going through an amicable divorce) and am the sole caregiver for my guys 5 out of 7 days/week. The hardest part is not having an extra driver most days and not having "back-up" for discipline/rueles right on site. Thus, I feel like I've ben a little too lax with screen time (despite how much I hate it), and now my kids have developed some bad habits.

MommyAllison
11-08-2015, 02:43 PM
My oldest just turned 10 and is in 4th grade. So glad to have this forum as puberty snuck up on us and I don't feel ready! ;)

Mamma2004
03-30-2016, 01:49 PM
A little late to the party, as I just discovered this thread. DS is 11 and in 6th grade (1st year of middle school), and I have been here since I was pregnant with him! A friend gave me the BBB book, and the rest is history.

I found so much helpful and reassuring support when DS was little. The last few years, I haven't been here daily like before, but this board sounds like a great place to connect!

lovin2shop
03-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Yay, I've always been semi-paranoid that the all longtimers here would give up on this "baby" board! Been here since I was pregnant with my now 13 year old boy. And I have a nearly tween 8 year old boy that spends way too much time with his older brother's friends!

August Mom
04-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Hi! I haven't really been around here for awhile, but I was active on the board when my kids were younger. I have a DS who is 13 and in 7th grade and a DD who is 8 and in 3rd grade.

JElaineB
04-05-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi! I haven't really been around here for awhile, but I was active on the board when my kids were younger. I have a DS who is 13 and in 7th grade and a DD who is 8 and in 3rd grade.

Good to see you here!