PDA

View Full Version : best blemish regime?

urquie
10-31-2015, 06:48 PM
Poor DD has a forehead covered with blemishes of all types. They extend to other areas as well, but that's the worst area. We won't considered any prescription meds until it bothers her. Currently she uses sea breeze, benzoyl peroxide and CeraVe foaming facial cleanser... but probably not as often as she should!

Any alternate suggestions would be much appreciated!

lalasmama
10-31-2015, 08:22 PM
We've started having DD use Cetaphil daily. I'd like her to do it twice a day, but once is better than nothing!

Neatfreak
11-01-2015, 12:28 AM
My routine, which I wish that I had when I was a teen, is Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser and Stridex alcohol-free (red box), and for spot treatment, these hydrocolloid sticky dots (better known as acne absorbing covers (http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Absorbing-Cover-Sizes-Count/dp/B00BRGUNV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446351973&sr=8-1&keywords=hydrocolloid+bandages)), which are truly magic.

My DD's skin just tends towards dryness at the moment, and she uses a bit of the Cerave moisturizer in the tub (not the pump bottle).

If you google the Skincare Addiction reddit, they have some really good info on skincar, products, and science.

niccig
11-01-2015, 12:39 AM
This may be off topic, how to get DS to wash his face. He won't do it unless I stand there over him, and I don't have time for that.

JElaineB
11-01-2015, 01:17 AM
DS's pimples aren't too bad yet so the Clearasil Hydroblast pads used daily seem to be keeping it under control. They contain salicylic acid, so that might be something you look to add or switch to for prevention.

This may be off topic, how to get DS to wash his face. He won't do it unless I stand there over him, and I don't have time for that.

Yea, I've given up on that battle, as DS hates to get water on his face. For nights he doesn't take a shower, I am making him use a Simple Cleansing Facial wipe all over his face an neck. I leave them on his bathroom sink (along with the Clearasil pads) so he remembers. I figure it is better than nothing.

JElaineB
11-01-2015, 01:20 AM
My routine, which I wish that I had when I was a teen, is Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser and Stridex alcohol-free (red box), and for spot treatment, these hydrocolloid sticky dots (better known as acne absorbing covers (http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Absorbing-Cover-Sizes-Count/dp/B00BRGUNV2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446351973&sr=8-1&keywords=hydrocolloid+bandages)), which are truly magic.

Wow, those acne absorbing covers look awesome. Are they anything like the hydrocolloid band-aids when you take them off? Because DS hates those types of band-aids. I might buy a box for me and DH regardless!

Neatfreak
11-01-2015, 03:52 AM
Yeah, they're the same, but cut into circles. My face thinks that I'm still fourteen years old, for better or worse. I've never used hydrocolliod band-aids on other parts of my body, though, so I can't speak about whether it's the same experience wearing them and removing them. They're pretty tiny, though!

athompson
11-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Why not take her in and get a prescription for a topical cream?

Poor DD has a forehead covered with blemishes of all types. They extend to other areas as well, but that's the worst area. We won't considered any prescription meds until it bothers her. Currently she uses sea breeze, benzoyl peroxide and CeraVe foaming facial cleanser... but probably not as often as she should!

Any alternate suggestions would be much appreciated!

boolady
11-01-2015, 09:17 AM
DD just started getting some whiteheads and the occasional pimple in the heat of this past summer. She washes her face in the shower with Cetaphil cleanser in the evening, and uses a Burts Bees grapefruit wipe in the morning before school.

She also uses this Elf blemish roller ball stick, which I have been pleasantly surprised to find works well. It's great for her because it's so easy to use. It's part of her bedtime and morning routine now, and isn't harsh on her skin. I love that it costs $2, and contains only salicylic acid, witch hazel, tea tree oil and camphor.

http://m.target.com/p/e-l-f-acne-fighting-gel-clear/-/A-16601991

mom2binsd
11-01-2015, 02:16 PM
At age 11 DD broke out in an insane amount of pimples, like over 50 on her forehead, cheeks, chin. It was terrible, coincided with getting her period. Went straight to the dermatologist as nothing OTC was helpful at all. Started her on a oral ampicillin and prescription clydamyacin and retain A, it has really kept the acne to a minimum, you don't want the pimples to get out of hand or it can get really bad.

Corie
11-01-2015, 07:15 PM
One thing to remember…it can take months to get in to see a dermatologist. I waited until my daughter came to me and said that she
wanted to do more for her face. And then it took months to get in. I felt horrible for her having to wait so long for her appt.

Mommaof3
11-01-2015, 08:39 PM
At age 11 DD broke out in an insane amount of pimples, like over 50 on her forehead, cheeks, chin. It was terrible, coincided with getting her period. Went straight to the dermatologist as nothing OTC was helpful at all. Started her on a oral ampicillin and prescription clydamyacin and retain A, it has really kept the acne to a minimum, you don't want the pimples to get out of hand or it can get really bad.

My DD got a RX for clyndamicin and it has worked great!

bcafe
11-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the ELF blemish stick rec. I am going to pick one up next time I am at Target.

JustMe
11-02-2015, 11:09 AM
I have dd using apple cider vinegar and it works! I put it in a liquid soap pump bottle and dilute with water--now I can't remember if it half water or 2/3 water. You can look on-line. I am not sure if she is doing it daily or just when she thinks she needs it, but in any case her acne has decreased greatly and I know she uses it when acne appears--an it does away pretty quickly.

essnce629
11-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Does anyone's kids have eczema and extremely sensitive skin AND acne? And if so, what acne products can your kids use? Both DH and I had terrible skin in our teen years and DS1 (12) has had a handful of blemishes so far. I'm thinking that him swimming 5-6 days a week will actually help keep his face clearer because of the chlorine. His skin is super sensitive though and everything burns him. At first I just tried getting him some facial cleansing wipes but every single brand, even the sensitive ones, burned his face. Right now he uses either of the Vanicream facial cleansers and both of those are fine on his skin, when he remembers or chooses to wash his face that is! But I'm not sure if there's any type of acne treatment or preventative stuff that he'd be able to use. Definitely not anything with salicyclic acid. Maybe a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide, but definitely not all over his face. He can't even use aloe vera as that has always burned as well.

I will definitely pick up some of those acne dots! I had never even heard of those! People say these are better than the Nexcare ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Dot-Acne-Care-Drug-Free-Absorbing/dp/B00X6JHY3S

Aishe
11-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Does anyone's kids have eczema and extremely sensitive skin AND acne? And if so, what acne products can your kids use? Both DH and I had terrible skin in our teen years and DS1 (12) has had a handful of blemishes so far. I'm thinking that him swimming 5-6 days a week will actually help keep his face clearer because of the chlorine. His skin is super sensitive though and everything burns him. At first I just tried getting him some facial cleansing wipes but every single brand, even the sensitive ones, burned his face. Right now he uses either of the Vanicream facial cleansers and both of those are fine on his skin, when he remembers or chooses to wash his face that is! But I'm not sure if there's any type of acne treatment or preventative stuff that he'd be able to use. Definitely not anything with salicyclic acid. Maybe a spot treatment with benzoyl peroxide, but definitely not all over his face. He can't even use aloe vera as that has always burned as well.

I will definitely pick up some of those acne dots! I had never even heard of those! People say these are better than the Nexcare ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Dot-Acne-Care-Drug-Free-Absorbing/dp/B00X6JHY3S

Have you tried salicylic acid? I have eczema and pretty darn sensitive skin and I handle it fine, but benzoyl peroxide is a nightmare. I'm betting that the chlorine is actually making his skin more sensitive than it would be otherwise. Not sure what can be done about that, though!

I would stay away from anything with witch hazel or essential oils. I used a witch hazel product (remember Noxzema?) when I was young and it literally took months of treatment to get rid of the rash.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Paula's Choice. I use her 2% BHA, but there are lots of other products to choose from. You can get samples to try out.

squimp
11-02-2015, 07:43 PM
My DD uses this stuff - it's a rollerball with salicylic acid.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NG0QJ2

urquie
11-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Thanks so much for all the relies, I've got lots of new options to research!

bisous
11-03-2015, 04:30 AM
I recommend the "battle plans" from the cosmetics cop. Honestly, I am having a problem with a really bad zit right now (had a product that broke me out!) but using her technique of gentle cleanser, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide I got amazingly clear skin. In fact, better than I'd ever had. I'd done Retin-A and some antibiotics before and the simple regimen worked the best! The best part about the battle plans is that it offers treatments in various degrees inching upwards to prescription treatments. I have studied this a ton and really recommend her site!

Here's a link:

http://www.paulaschoice-eu.com/learn/battle-plans-for-fighting-blemishes/

minnie-zb
11-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Clarisonic. It's made a huge difference in my girls skin. I can immediately tell when they aren't using it.

Meatball Mommie
11-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Clarisonic. It's made a huge difference in my girls skin. I can immediately tell when they aren't using it.

It really works? I have been hesitant because of the price tag, but my skin is worse now than when I was a teen! I saw a dermatologist even and I use Cetaphil to wash and an Rx antibiotic (? I think it is) to kill bacteria on my skin. I still have trouble and just suffered through a breakout. It's not acne like teens get, but pimples that take forever to heal because I have anemia and vitamin deficiencies (working on correcting).

minnie-zb
11-03-2015, 10:54 AM
We have 3 clarisonics. That's how much I like it.

I have one I use and my skin keeps getting better and better. I was very resistant to getting one initially as I have rosacea. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Both girls have one and it's amazing the difference in their skin. I wish they were more consistent in using it, but when they do use it, it makes a huge difference.

ETA: My husband uses mine -- he has his own brush head. He loves it too. We both say we wish they had these when we were kids!

Dream
11-03-2015, 12:39 PM
We have 3 clarisonics. That's how much I like it.

I have one I use and my skin keeps getting better and better. I was very resistant to getting one initially as I have rosacea. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Both girls have one and it's amazing the difference in their skin. I wish they were more consistent in using it, but when they do use it, it makes a huge difference.

ETA: My husband uses mine -- he has his own brush head. He loves it too. We both say we wish they had these when we were kids!

Do you use the Clarisonic on its own? Or do you still have to use a cleanser and apply salicylic acid?

squimp
11-03-2015, 01:13 PM
If you don't want to splurge for the Clarisonic, I had the Olay brush cleaner for years for myself and it was really good. I finally upgraded to a Clarisonic after my Olay one died, but it lasted about 5 years and I don't really see a big difference between the two. It is great for removing dead skin and I can really tell the difference when I don't use it.

minnie-zb
11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
If you don't want to splurge for the Clarisonic, I had the Olay brush cleaner for years for myself and it was really good. I finally upgraded to a Clarisonic after my Olay one died, but it lasted about 5 years and I don't really see a big difference between the two. It is great for removing dead skin and I can really tell the difference when I don't use it.

I would have to disagree -- I bought the olay one first, but it aggravated my skin tremendously. It's one of the reasons I delayed trying a Clarisonic. You can pick different brushes for your skin type. But I have an existing skin condition so I can't speak for someone who has normal skin.

As far as products -- I use whatever cleanser I'm using at the time and I like the Paula's Choice BHA lotion and her Rosacea line.

I know some people don't like the Clarisonic, but I really wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. My experience has been positive.

squimp
11-03-2015, 02:14 PM
I would have to disagree -- I bought the olay one first, but it aggravated my skin tremendously. It's one of the reasons I delayed trying a Clarisonic. You can pick different brushes for your skin type. But I have an existing skin condition so I can't speak for someone who has normal skin.

As far as products -- I use whatever cleanser I'm using at the time and I like the Paula's Choice BHA lotion and her Rosacea line.

I know some people don't like the Clarisonic, but I really wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. My experience has been positive.

Yes my skin is pretty normal and I don't see much difference except that the Clarisonic is heavier and more solidly built. I read a ton of reviews and many of them didn't see much difference. I'd say it's a good low cost alternative, especially for a teen.

Kindra178
11-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Why don't you try Rodan + Fields Unblemish? If not, a Sulfa non prescription strength wash might help.

Katigre
11-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Honestly, diet has a huge HUGE impact on skin health. Dairy, sugar, and processed foods will all increase blemishes (especially dairy - http://www.skininc.com/skinscience/physiology/Long-term-Research-Links-Dairy-and-High-Sugar-Foods-to-Acne-200252611.html) My skin is totally clear - no blemishes - as long as I avoid those foods. Unfortunately, teen diets are often high in all those things which can make it hard. But if she does just a 2 week trial to see how her skin responds she might see a significant change.

Katigre
11-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Also, it's important to take into account the increased risk of breast cancer and long-term use of antibiotics - even antibiotics for acne. I also used antibiotics for acne as a teen and while they worked, I wish that I had pursued other alternatives instead because turns out that diet clears up my skin and topical things can work just as well without the long term health risk.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health-jan-june04-cancer_02-17/

essnce629
11-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I wish diet helped me. Even during my many Whole 30s (no soy, dairy, sugar, grains) there was never a difference in my skin. I'm assuming it's more hormone related for me.

mnosky1
11-14-2015, 01:38 AM
Reporting this interview as evidence pointing to "
the increased risk of breast cancer and long-term use of antibiotics - even antibiotics for acne. "

As a medical professional who has plenty of research and regularly deciphers medical research for the public - I just want to clarify this is not a repeated finding and causality (meaning that antibiotics cause cancer) was not even suggested in this study.

calebsmama03
11-16-2015, 03:04 PM
It really works? I have been hesitant because of the price tag, but my skin is worse now than when I was a teen! I saw a dermatologist even and I use Cetaphil to wash and an Rx antibiotic (? I think it is) to kill bacteria on my skin. I still have trouble and just suffered through a breakout. It's not acne like teens get, but pimples that take forever to heal because I have anemia and vitamin deficiencies (working on correcting).
I'm also a huge clarisonic fan. I splurged on a pro 2 years ago and it really helps my skin, tho when this one dies I will just get a Mia as I don't use the body brush feature as much as I'd imagined I would. In general I think acne is not a one-size fits all situation. The "don't over exfoliate and go gentle" approach has never worked for me. I've come to the conclusion after YEARS of trial and error that my skin doesn't slough itself very well and literally needs the clarisonic to help keep things moving. I also use peels from makeup artists choice a few times a month, and either their gly-luronic serum or niacinamide serum. They sell generous samples so you can try them out.

That said, I DO think the gentle approach is the better way to start the trial and error process with a tween/teen. I don't have much faith in deems for anything other than skin cancer screens and mold removals- I have far better results now doing my hodge podge mix of stuff than I ever did when seeing a derm.

calebsmama03
11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Also, it's important to take into account the increased risk of breast cancer and long-term use of antibiotics - even antibiotics for acne. I also used antibiotics for acne as a teen and while they worked, I wish that I had pursued other alternatives instead because turns out that diet clears up my skin and topical things can work just as well without the long term health risk.

Even if this study were completely false, my bigger concern is the overuse of antibiotics and the rise of super bugs. I heard an interview in which the researcher said most models predict that within OUR lifetime, antibiotics will become ineffective and we will be back in the pre-antibiotic era where people died of simple infections on a regular basis. Yes, I want my kids to have clear skin but not at the risk of their (and everyone else's) future health. Now, the meat industry is largely to blame for the overuse of abx but people are contributing by misusing and overusing them, as well. Just another aspect to think about.

As for diet, again it isn't one size fits all. Quitting dairy did nothing for me but wheat made all the difference in the world. I still have to be careful and I do break out around O and AF but so much better than in my 20s and 30s! Wheat made 80% improvement and clarisonic did the rest.