PDA

View Full Version : My baby is NOT ready to pilot a death mobile!

newnana
11-02-2015, 12:54 AM
Okay, my kiddo has been driving anything with wheels since she could reach the pedals. We are lucky enough to have access to all sorts of options like go karts, farm equipment, etc and safe locations to promote that area of development. As a tween, we're still pretty far off from actually having to worry about her making a left across a busy snowy highway at night. But it will be on my list of high anxiety soon enough.

When she is old enough, if they still have these courses, DD will be enrolled in this:

https://www.scca.com/articles/1997512-street-survival-teen-driver-education-on-the-edge

There is regular drivers ed and then there is this steroid version that is more about dealing with emergencies. The more my kiddo knows, the safer we'll all be on the road. This isn't about convincing your kid to drive fast or know how to do donuts. This is how to get out of those terrifying situations we learn from if we're lucky enough, but in a safe environment with instructors and space to practice unharmed.

Heck, I want my mother to take it, her 30 mph speed limit will get us all killed one of these days.

For those nearing the driving phase of teendom, it might be worth checking out.

lalasmama
11-02-2015, 01:27 AM
DH often says he's pleased that DD2 and DD3 are 11 years apart... It gives him 11 years to forget teaching DD1 and DD2 to drive, so he won't be as anxious with DD3, LOL.

We'll be enrolling her in Driver's Ed, and probably a specialty course or two. I'd like her to do the "weather driving" course to learn how to deal with hydroplaning in a controlled environment.

We've got 3 years and 3 months until she's old enough for a permit... and she's already reading the driver's manual and asking questions about how to actually drive...

Globetrotter
11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Dd is 16 but has been too busy with schoolwork to get her license!
My friend's son did one of those courses, or something similar, and I want dd to do it. Heck, I don't mind paying for tons of in person driver Ed. This scares me! A friend's dd got into a multicar pileup but came out without any injuries. They had just bought her a new car with all the safety features, so now I feel we need to get a relatively new car vs our old clunker. I always got hand me downs, but somehow I have a hard time with this- i think it's an emotional reaction.

JElaineB
11-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info, too bad none of these are near us though. DS just turned 13 but here in Iowa teens can get an instructional (learner's) permit at age 14 and a school license (can drive back and forth to school or school-sponsored activities only) at age 14.5 and intermediate license at 16 (no driving between 12:30am - 5 am without a parent). Seems pretty young to me as I couldn't even get my learner's permit until age 16. DH will teach DS to drive and I am sure DS will take driver's ed as well. DH is a good driver and has driven commercial vehicles (tow trucks). One big thing on our list is to be sure DS eventually learns to drive a standard transmission (stick shift). You never know when a time needed to drive one might crop up.

newnana
11-03-2015, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the info, too bad none of these are near us though. DS just turned 13 but here in Iowa teens can get an instructional (learner's) permit at age 14 and a school license (can drive back and forth to school or school-sponsored activities only) at age 14.5 and intermediate license at 16 (no driving between 12:30am - 5 am without a parent). Seems pretty young to me as I couldn't even get my learner's permit until age 16. DH will teach DS to drive and I am sure DS will take driver's ed as well. DH is a good driver and has driven commercial vehicles (tow trucks). One big thing on our list is to be sure DS eventually learns to drive a standard transmission (stick shift). You never know when a time needed to drive one might crop up.

You should use the button at the bottom of the original link to request an event here: http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/site/Roadcourse

Or google road courses to find one closer to your location to find one. KC may not be far from you depending on where you are in Iowa. It's worth making a couple hour trip.

rlu
11-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the info. We're not there yet, but subscribing to this thread as a reminder when we are.