PDA

View Full Version : Emergency bag for tween girls??

SASM
11-02-2015, 12:17 PM
I cannot believe I am posting this on "Baby Bargains" but I know a lot of you are there right now as well. DD1 just went through her Growth & Changes class and is very nervous about things happening while she's at school. Knowing my history, I doubt AF will happen anytime soon but one never knows these days. She was talking excitedly about "The Bag" that some parents have already given their girls for possible emergencies at school. If you've already done so with your girls, please share details so I know if I am missing anything before I gift mine.

- What type of bag did you choose? I am thinking about the Scout 3-Way Cosmetic Bag bc I like the layout, durability, and cute pattern, HOWEVER, I am not sure if I should go with something smaller and plain that doesn't stand out.

- I have a pair of neutral denim jeggings that's a little large (bought on clearance)...it should fold up nice & tight but they are not dark. I figured these are "emergency" and if they are something she'd normally wear, she would possibly take them out and forget to replace.

- I also have a pair of panties; tween pantyliner/pads (not interested in tampons just yet); travel-sized deodorant, personal flushable wipes, Shout wipes, and facial wipes.

Anything else???? When she is older I'll probably include a dose of ibuprofen but not right now. She already has the American Girl "Taking Care of You" books, although she's keeping those at a distance.

TIA!!!

Twoboos
11-02-2015, 12:27 PM
This thread needs to move to the new Tween/Teen section! :cheerleader1:

In any event, I am following b/c I really need to do this for DD1, but I keep forgetting. She just got back from the 6th grade class trip (4 days) and made it without any surprises. But on the way to drop her off(!!!) I gave her the talk on what to do/who to go to if it happened while she's away. (A little advice - don't do that. :rotflmao:)

SASM
11-02-2015, 12:59 PM
This thread needs to move to the new Tween/Teen section! :cheerleader1:

In any event, I am following b/c I really need to do this for DD1, but I keep forgetting. She just got back from the 6th grade class trip (4 days) and made it without any surprises. But on the way to drop her off(!!!) I gave her the talk on what to do/who to go to if it happened while she's away. (A little advice - don't do that. :rotflmao:)

OMG!!! I didn't know that section exists...YAY!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE!!

Poor Mom and DD!!! I cannot imagine having that discussion in the car on the way to a class trip! 😳

Corie
11-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Honestly, my 13 yr. old daughter would never carry the Scout bag to school. It's way too big & obvious that she may be on her period. My DD would not
want anyone to know such personal stuff about her. My daughter has a little wristlet (from Thirty-One) and she keeps a few pads/tampons
in it. The wristlet is kept in her locker and no one even knows she has it.

And regarding the ibuprofen, I'm surprised that your school would allow your daughter to carry that in her stuff. My daughter has a Permission
to Dispense form filled out by her pediatrician and it is on file with the school nurse. The school nurse can dispense the ibuprofen if needed.

Meatball Mommie
11-02-2015, 01:44 PM
My mom did this for me when I was your daughter's age. It was one of those free Clinique bags you get when they run their specials. I just had a change of underwear, some pads and some Advil (at the time, school was ok with that). I kept it in my locker (starting in 6th grade we had lockers - I didn't get my period until the end of 7th grade). She also gave me a shoebox of pads to keep under my bed (so I wouldn't be embarrassed by my stash in our bathroom).

megs4413
11-02-2015, 01:56 PM
We have a 31 wristlet. No change of pants in it.

egoldber
11-02-2015, 01:58 PM
My older DD uses this little bag we got at LLBean. She did not want anything flashy or obvious.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76940?feat=2929-GN3&page=fleece-lined-organizer-small

For the first year, we did also keep a small plastic ziplock with a rolled up pair of black leggings and underwear in her backpack. That was after I had to call DH to take a change of clothes to her at school. :(

squimp
11-02-2015, 02:00 PM
We have a little 4x6 soft makeup bag that has a couple of pads in it. It is very small and plain. At her elementary school, the girls who started their periods could keep that bag of stuff in the "nurse's" office - in quotes because we don't have a nurse, lol. She never needed a change of underwear.

Now that she's in middle school, she keeps the same little bag in her locker or backpack. Also, do not put Advil in there, but if your kiddo does start, fill out the paperwork so they can take advil at school if they need to. She was told she could be expelled if she kept medicine in her locker! Probably not totally true, but it did have an impact on her during the first week of middle school.

SASM
11-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Thank you so much for your responses!!! This bag would just stay in her locker/backpack...not something to carry around.

Beth, Thank you! This is what DD is afraid of. Good to know you just kept them in a separate bag...I am stressing trying to find a bag SMALL enough to hold everything.

Good to know about ibuprofen...definitely makes sense. DS goes to the nurse for everything...that didn't even occur to me. ;)

Gracemom
11-02-2015, 03:41 PM
My dd just carries her supplies in the front pocket of her backpack. She often wears a hoodie, so she puts a pad in the pocket when needed. Her school allows girls to carry a small purse. Many girls have a vera bradley crossbody. My dd hasn't needed backup pants, but she did once wrap her hoodie around her waist. As for meds, I give her some before and after school but she hasn't needed them yet during school.

pinkmomagain
11-02-2015, 04:51 PM
Well I've raised 2 girls well into their teens and my youngest just entered tweendom and I've never heard of/considered an emergency bag. Pretty much beginning in middle school my girls started to use purses for phones, chapstick, money, etc. in addition to the backpacks/bags for their books/lunch. They just stuff a handful of pads in their purse and call it a day! My 16yo also has a small bottle of Tylenol (and a signed release allowing her to self-administer) for when she gets cramps during school.

lalasmama
11-02-2015, 05:37 PM
Bought a small makeup bag for a teen pantyliner and 2 pads, and a backup panty. She keeps it in the front pocket of her backpack. DH works at the same school as DD, so he has a full size box of each item, and a pair of yoga pants.

egoldber
11-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Pretty much beginning in middle school my girls started to use purses for phones, chapstick, money, etc. in addition to the backpacks/bags for their books/lunch.

My DD's MS does not allow purses.

pinkmomagain
11-02-2015, 08:26 PM
My DD's MS does not allow purses.

Wow, that is very interesting. What is the thought behind this?

egoldber
11-02-2015, 08:29 PM
No idea, it's just the rule.

ladysoapmaker
11-03-2015, 07:14 AM
We don't have anything for school at the moment but for GS camping trips she has a small water tight box with supplies, pads, change of underwear, tampons, etc. So she had something that won't get wet. I need to talk with her about school.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

squimp
11-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Girls don't carry purses in middle school here either - too much to carry with the binder, sports gear, lunch boxes band instruments. My DD will sometimes keep a pad in her pocket but she wouldn't throw them into her bag loose, could be embarrassing.

94bruin
11-03-2015, 03:16 PM
I gave DD1 an old, small non-descript make-up bag. I put extra underwear, black leggings and a few pads. She hasn't had her first period, but I had her practice putting one on at home. I remember when mine started at school way back when. I wish my mom had given me instructions and an emergency kit.

mom2binsd
11-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Another vote for either a simple cosmetic bag with just liners, and pad, maybe underwear, No extra pants, if it's that bad she'll call home and stay in the nurses office. My DD just keeps a few extra liners and tampons in one of her backpack pockets (she got her period the summer before 6th grade, one month after her 11th birthday), don't go by what you did, I didn't get mine till I was 14!

Just wait till you all have to help them learn to put in a tampon, fun times!!! Luckily youtube exists and my DD asked me to "talk" her through it!

egoldber
11-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Just wait till you all have to help them learn to put in a tampon, fun times!!

LOL! Mine shut herself in the bathroom with the instructions. It took half a box of Tampax Pearl Slender, but she got it. :)

mom2binsd
11-03-2015, 05:50 PM
LOL! Mine shut herself in the bathroom with the instructions. It took half a box of Tampax Pearl Slender, but she got it. :)

We actually did a little look and see with one, showed her how it plunges out, examined it etc...then she sat down, made me stay in the room and used a mirror to insert...first time was the charm! A very bonding moment for both of us lol!!!! We used the Playtex sport slender (which are impossible to find), luckily she now uses regular and superplus :eek:

Twin Mom
11-05-2015, 10:18 PM
DD keeps a couple of pads in her purse and some pads and underpants in her backpack.

She won't try a tampon or the Diva Cup. I feel like I'm spending a fortune on pads. :ROTFLMAO: