PDA

View Full Version : Are teacher gifts still a thing in Middle School?

rlu
11-03-2015, 07:52 PM
He has 4 teachers. Are teacher gifts still done in Middle School or just at end of the year? We do Target gc so I'm not overly concerned about finding the right gift, just whether I should.

eta: I should have posted in the tween section - sorry! Can a mod move for me?

nfowife
11-03-2015, 08:02 PM
My IL were both middle school teachers-retired last year. They did get gifts, from a small number of students each year. I would say, if your child has a special connection to the teacher, for sure. If you want to do something for all 4, something simple,like $5 to Starbucks or DD for a coffee.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2015, 08:03 PM
We go to a k-8 school so we still buy for them. I can see not doing it if they transitioned to a traditional middle school.

pinkmomagain
11-03-2015, 08:38 PM
No. I have not given gifts to MS teachers. I have given guidance counselor if they were helpful with issues as my kids have had 504s.

Green_Tea
11-03-2015, 08:53 PM
My DD got her favorite teachers (music and Spanish) inexpensive but yummy holiday chocolates at TJ's last year, and gave them $5 Starbucks GCs at the end of the year. I don't think any teacher gift is ever required (and I say that AS a teacher), but it's always nice to be thought of during the holidays. It made DD happy to give them something.

Simon
11-03-2015, 09:37 PM
My IL were both middle school teachers-retired last year. They did get gifts, from a small number of students each year. I would say, if your child has a special connection to the teacher, for sure. If you want to do something for all 4, something simple,like $5 to Starbucks or DD for a coffee.

:yeahthat: The MS teachers I know do receive some gifts and appreciate them. Sometimes just a card with a heartfelt message from a student (a thank you or sharing a happy memory from class) is given and those are always appreciated.

MelissaTC
11-03-2015, 09:41 PM
It is very common at our school.

bigsis
11-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Last year, when my DD was in 6th grade her core teachers received a lot of gifts for Christmas. Her PE teacher only received 1 gift which was from DD. I will continue to give small gifts for her teachers. My DD likes giving.

kdeunc
11-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Last year we gave DS1's 6th grade teachers a tin of cookies and a small gift card to Coldstone Creamery. I would assume doing something similar this year.

sduemmler
11-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Last year we gave DS1's 6th grade teachers a tin of cookies and a small gift card to Coldstone Creamery. I would assume doing something similar this year.

Oh, ice cream is a great idea! As a non-coffee drinker, the thought of starbucks gift cards always seems unexciting, but local ice cream places is a great idea for a small gift card!!! Thanks!

lalasmama
11-05-2015, 01:31 AM
DH is a middle school teacher. He gets 1-2 gifts each year from students. Sometimes it's a gift card to the local coffee drive-through (he drinks a lot of coffee), and twice it's been home décor items (namely "winter"-themed things, like a wintery welcome sign one year when we moved). FWIW, DD doesn't give anything to her teachers.

kdeunc
11-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Oh, ice cream is a great idea! As a non-coffee drinker, the thought of starbucks gift cards always seems unexciting, but local ice cream places is a great idea for a small gift card!!! Thanks!

The ice-cream was very well received! :)

Twin Mom
11-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Gifts for MS teachers are uncommon here.

Corie
11-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Gifts for MS teachers are uncommon here.

Uncommon here too.

JBaxter
11-16-2015, 02:39 PM
I've never done middle school teacher gifts. He has six no way am I forking out for 6 teacher gifts.