PDA

View Full Version : Paris in Mid March

jenmcadams
11-10-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm surprising our kids with a ten day (including travel days) trip to Paris in mid-March 2016. My DD is just finishing up High School French 2 and she's the only one of us with any ability to speak French (my husband who passed away in April was semi-fluent). I was able to pay for plane tickets by cashing in some miles and my sister has friends who have offered us their pied a terre in the 16th arrondissement for free. I'm just starting to do some research and I'll tell the kids on Christmas and will let them help with planning. They're both total troopers when it comes to travel (this will be my son's first trip to Europe; my daughter visited Sweden, Estonia and Finland in the Spring with her choir) and they love food and new experiences. We took our first trip without my DH in October (quick trip to Orlando), but this will be our first major vacation without him. Most of our vacations in the past have been tropical (Hawaii, St. John, Mexico, etc.) and I wanted this vacation to be different (the other leading contender was Costa Rica which felt a little bit too much like the vacations we did before and I'm not sure they're ready for that yet).

I've never been to Paris (or France) and I'm looking for advice on must-dos and things to avoid. I'm thinking we'll do some of the standard stuff in the city (e.g. Louvre, Eiffel Tower) and we'll probably do a day trip to Versailles. I was also wondering about taking the train to Tours and getting a guide to see some of the castles in the Loire valley. Both of my kids love good food and think the best thing in the world is a good macaron, so I've also thought about a cooking class. I want to make sure we leave time for just strolling around Paris. I know the weather will be iffy that time of year and there might be more central places to stay, but the 16th is supposed to be beautiful and the flat is apparently very nice and given it's free, it frees up budget for other things (e.g. one of my friends raved about a kids tour of the Louvre that they did).

Any tips?

mmsmom
11-10-2015, 06:09 PM
How fun for you all! There is a museum pass that is worth the $ and also gets you to the front of the line (at least it did several years ago). Look at contexttravel.com and viator.com for family tours. You can do group or private tours. The weather will be chilly but you should be fine with coats and boots. Love this site for restaurants: http://www.thepariskitchen.com

citymama
11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Sounds like so much fun! Paris is such a great city with kids - we went a couple of years ago with ours (and I am going back on work in a few weeks!). But yours are much older so that opens up so many possibilities. With 10 days you can take your time. I agree 100% on the museum pass - lines are loooong. March is still quite wintry. The Marais is hip and fun. Visit Giverny on a day trip if your kids are into art. (I'm not a big fan of Versailles, but I guess that's another day trip.) We LOVED hanging out in Luxembourg gardens, but again, my kids are younger, so racing sailboats with all the French kids was so much fun for them! You'll have a great time!

elbert
11-10-2015, 09:41 PM
We did great day-long bike tours of Versailles and Giverny this past summer. The companies also ran some in the city. A fun and different way to do some of the "must dos"

rkold
11-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Oh, I think you will have such a wonderful time!

I went on a French exchange program in High School, and they took us to Chateau Chambord in the Loire Valley. I still remember it now because it was so beautiful and fascinating. I'd definitely recommend there!

jenmcadams
11-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the tips - I'm definitely nervous about the trip, but also excited!

citymama
11-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the tips - I'm definitely nervous about the trip, but also excited!

I think it will be a very special trip for your family. I hope it's absolutely wonderful and memorable and everything goes smoothly!

lele
11-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Amiens is nice, and you could probably get there by train. Reims is cool too--champagne tours!! there is always Disney Paris.

meggie t
12-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Love France any time of year! And I will add that March is my favorite month for European travel- it is actually the driest month of the year. So your weather is likely to be perfect travel weather - not too hot/cold and mostly dry.

Def do a museum pass, as well as a subway pass. Leave time for jet lag adjustment. I wouldn't do more than 1, maybe 2, day trips outside of Paris. You really have about 8 days and you don't want to be too harried. So much fun!!

sste
12-30-2015, 05:45 PM
I love the Picasso museum there.