PDA

View Full Version : Grrr common core math!

missym
11-12-2015, 06:06 PM
DD2 is doing long division. She gets it. She can do most of it in her head but they still want to see every step. Silly but ok.

On today's worksheet, she is required to solve the problem, show her work AND explain it in words. How do you do that? Um, "I divided this by that and got the answer?" I don't get the explaining part.

It also makes me crazy that she can get the answer correct and still be counted wrong if she uses a different method to solve the problem.

Corie
11-12-2015, 07:51 PM
AND explain it in words. How do you do that? Um, "I divided this by that and got the answer?" I don't get the explaining part.

Okay, that is just crazy!!!

KrystalS
11-12-2015, 10:22 PM
When I help my DD with her math this question drives me crazy! I actually told her once to write it's math there's no explanation it just IS! Why should you have to explain why you are adding, subtracting, etc, it makes no sense!

hillview
11-12-2015, 10:42 PM
DS2 got this sort of homework. Bunch of empty boxes and you were supposed to know how to "solve" it and then write HOW you solved it. There were NO numbers on the paper.

rlu
11-14-2015, 06:17 PM
DS writes a four-paragraph essay each week describing how he solved a given math problem. The four paragraphs have certain requirements to guide him.