PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Gift Ideas 2015: Children Ages 6-9

missym
11-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Let's share gift ideas! Please list ages and what you're planning to give. Links are always helpful, too!

jren
11-13-2015, 04:19 PM
DS 7 - Xbox One (group gift), Xbox One games (Minecraft, Minecraft Story Mode), Lego Minecraft Lego Mine

From family: more Minecraft stuff! And more video games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IansMom
11-13-2015, 04:28 PM
DS is 6 - Maxi Scooter, Globe, Snap Circuits Lights, Crayola Marker Maker, Monopoly Jr., Sorry , checkers and a book.

For his stocking - Kikkerland wind ups and sports Smencils.

Tenasparkl
11-13-2015, 04:55 PM
DD7's list is mostly legos (Star Wars, Elves and Friends), shopkins and Harry Potter stuff (journal, wand, Hogwart's puzzle).

Any good book suggestions for when we take a break from the Harry Potter books? I'd like to get her something else fun to she can either read on her own or we can read together like HP.

KrisM
11-13-2015, 05:21 PM
DS2 is 7. His list is:
Skylanders Superchargers
Lego Dimensions
r/c helicopter
magic kit
slot car set

DD is 9.
roller skates
chemistry kit
School for Good and Evil books
a watch
I've added a hair dryer, room decorations (bulletin board, etc)

lizzywednesday
11-13-2015, 07:59 PM

Any good book suggestions for when we take a break from the Harry Potter books? I'd like to get her something else fun to she can either read on her own or we can read together like HP.

On her own, she might like The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye (http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Princess-M-Kaye/dp/0142300853/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447458917&sr=1-1&keywords=the+ordinary+princess) or Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Trophy-Newbery-Carson-Levine/dp/0064407055/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447458953&sr=1-1&keywords=ella+enchanted+by+gail+carson+levine). TBH, I'm interested in Shannon Hale (http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Academy-Shannon-Hale/dp/1619636131/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447459077&sr=1-1&keywords=princess+academy)'s Princess Academy books because DD and I loved her Princess in Black books so much!

Together, you might enjoy reading A Little Princess or The Secret Garden, both by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I'm also partial to the Anne of Green Gables series, but mostly for kids 8 and up.

DD and I just finished The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which she enjoyed so much she wanted to give a copy to her cousin.

lizzywednesday
11-13-2015, 08:06 PM
DD is 5.

So far, DH and I have purchased:

(1) Stargazer LOTTIE (http://www.lottie.com/collections/new-products/products/stargazer-lottie?variant=1216553939) - I used Amazon points from my Amazon card when she came back into stock earlier this fall.

(2) We plan to get her the LEGO Utility Shuttle (http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Utility-Shuttle-60078), but are hoping to take advantage of double VIP points at the LEGO Store.

(3) We were out today and she saw a "teach yourself to play" ukulele. I don't know that she really wants it, but she did realize it was an ukulele and not a guitar, so maybe she does. :shrug:

(4) We got a BB-8 app-controlled mini droid, ostensibly for the family, but we think DD will play with it the most.

I'm not sure if we're getting her anything else. DH thinks we should get her Star Wars stuff, but I'm not so sure.

vludmilla
11-13-2015, 11:26 PM
DD 9
(These gifts will come from multiple family members, not just us.)
New 24" bike (with gears)
Bunk bed (inexpensive IKEA one, just because she has wanted a bunk bed forever and she's getting older so I feel like indulging her)
Tracing paper for art
Ipod touch
Maybe a cocoon type chair for her room since she is giving her child sized arm chair to her baby sister
A few books (autobiographies)

egoldber
11-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Younger DD - 9

She has asked for....

sewing machine
stilts
extreme dot to dot books
plush craft kits

I want to also get her the new Illustrated Harry Potter
http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Stone-Illustrated/dp/0545790352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447505672&sr=8-1&keywords=harry+potter

....and perhaps the States books that Corie linked to in the Lounge
http://www.amazon.com/50-States-Explore-U-S-fact-filled/dp/1847807119/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447505706&sr=8-2&keywords=states+book

willow33
11-15-2015, 11:34 PM
DD7's list is mostly legos (Star Wars, Elves and Friends), shopkins and Harry Potter stuff (journal, wand, Hogwart's puzzle).

The Magic Faraway Tree collection by Enid Blyton is fantastic!

Tenasparkl
11-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Thank you!

vonfirmath
11-16-2015, 02:54 PM

THink a boy would like it? As it happens, I ordered a different book by Blyton and got this instead and had not figured out what to do with it so its sitting around in my room. Though I guess even if my son doesn't like it I could hold on until DD is older.

123LuckyMom
11-16-2015, 04:58 PM
THink a boy would like it? As it happens, I ordered a different book by Blyton and got this instead and had not figured out what to do with it so its sitting around in my room. Though I guess even if my son doesn't like it I could hold on until DD is older.

My boy LOVED this series at age 5. He asks for it a lot, though I've put him off in favor of books we haven't read yet.

ETA: He's 7 now.

willow33
11-16-2015, 06:28 PM
I think it's a great series for both boys and girls. I would read it to DD (6) and DS (10) would come in and listen too :)

jgenie
11-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Is Amazon the best place to buy them?

abh5e8
11-16-2015, 11:56 PM
any thoughts on zoomer or indominus rex? ds (age 7) has been asking for a remote control dinosaur for the past year or more...wondering if this might be a fun choice? anyone have one?

citymama
11-17-2015, 12:03 AM

Good for ages 5-7 or 8. I read these as a kid at about 7 and read to my kids at around 5!

123LuckyMom
11-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I just wanted to post that our whole family has been loving this book:

Maps https://www.amazon.com/dp/0763668966/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zY0swb497JVN7

DS got it for his birthday, and it's really, really interesting and fun! I heard on NPR this morning that the same people who put out that book have a new one out called Historium. Apparently it covers world history through ancient artifacts from many cultures. I bet DS (7) would love that book, too!

Dream
11-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Both my 4.5 and 7 yr olds have asked for Star Lilly and Vtech Kidizoom smartwatch DX.

kristac
11-20-2015, 09:23 AM

Where did you get the hogwarts puzzle?

iaam
12-02-2015, 11:56 PM
DS got the Dino a few days ago. He is almost 8. He loves it and has played with it a lot. It takes some "work" to get it to do what you want, and I think he enjoys the challenge.

Melaine
12-09-2015, 07:46 AM
My twin girls are 9. They are getting the Our Generation Jeep and Camper to share for their dolls. They actually know they are getting those, but what can I do when I find toys brand new at the thrift store right in front of them?
They are each getting a gently used Amazon Fire. DH and I are still debating over how to set those up...what we are going to allow them to use them for, etc. Originally I thought they would be just for reading actual books but I'm re-considering. They are both getting a throw blanket, a personalized mug, and a few books. They are probably going to be really excited with DS's gift which is the Melissa and Doug snack cart. I actually do think all three will play with it. I may put all their names on it. Oh and I have nerf guns for all three kids. I feel like nothing is going to be a WOW gift for them necessarily, unless they are super excited about the Fire's. But this was kind of a big gift year for them, for their birthdays they got these huge pedal scooter thingys and they each bought an American Girl doll with their saved money, plus tons of other gifts. Oh I do have a movie or two for them. I don't know....I'm kind of on the fence about the gift situation at the moment.