PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else celebrate Chanukah only with their teens/tweens

JustMe
11-16-2015, 11:20 AM
I am struggling with this and wonder if there is someone else in the same situation. I have always given my kids 8 presents--one each night for Chanukah--but at their ages (turning 10 and 13 in Feb) I feel like it might serve their needs better to give them one big present--now they do get a bigger present at the end, but I mean putting all the money to one big present. I can't seem to do it though, I love the tradition of 8 nights/presents..so, the best I can do is scale down on the other nights as much as possible, including giving things they need/I want them to have, and go for a biggish present at the end.

Anyone else in this situation and what do you do?

almostmom
11-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Well, we never did a present every night. And we also do xmas, and birthdays are around the holidays, so it's just too many presents! But to get as many nights out of Chanukah as possible, I usually do one night where they get a coupon to go to the local fro yo place, which they love. Another is $10 to spend at the local specialty candy shop. maybe another is fuzzy cozy socks. Big presents happen at xmas, so I never want to spend a lot on Chanukah, but these things are at least something.

citymama
11-16-2015, 02:03 PM
We vary it up. Usually have one or two real presents and the others are really small. We do one night of charitable giving where the kids each pick a charity to donate to. I think you can totally switch to the one big gift and other really little ones to keep the tradition going.

Philly Mom
11-16-2015, 02:52 PM
My kids are young and we don't do 8 nights. We never did when I was young either. As a result, I hate junky presents. My in laws give them at Xmas and it drives me crazy. I like one big present that is actually wanted or needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk