PDA

View Full Version : Braces/eating at school/brushing - not happening!

robinsmommy
11-16-2015, 03:58 PM
DD1 got braces last week, and will likely have them for a bit over a year. She is apparently greatly embarrassed about having food stuck in her braces while/after eating, and about asking for a bathroom pass to go brush her teeth after eating (not that they give them a lot of time for that - I am rather unhappy about kids' ability to use the bathroom during the school day, esp as a mom of two girls). Her solutions so far are to take a very few things that are she can swallow with little or no chewing, or that don't tend to stick in the braces, and to wait to eat more until after school. So today she has some grapes and some tofu. Which really, really doesn't cut it for a kid who still needs to grow. I know that she is still getting used to having braces, but food is important - I don't want to let this slide.

How do your kids cope with braces and eating at school? Are there certain foods that they eat? Do they brush teeth at school? I'm sure the orthodontists would prefer it, but I'm not sure how often it actually happens.

JBaxter
11-16-2015, 04:04 PM
hit the water cooler and swish around and swallow. I was a dental hygienist for many years and cant ever recall any kid admitting to brushing at school.

robinsmommy
11-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Yep, the swish at the water fountain was my thought as well. Maybe if we have her take a water bottle with her lunch, to be able to swish immediately, and also have her practice tonight at home and see if it works, she'd be willing to eat more. Hmm, maybe a small mirror as well, to do a discrete check.

baymom
11-16-2015, 04:55 PM
DD does the water swish method, but was also given a lesson by the ortho on how to chew with braces. With practice, it helped a lot. Basically, instead of having food between your cheek and your teeth, you have to work on chewing with the food held INSIDE the jaw and moving it to under the molars, as you chew. Or, at least that's how I understood that conversation. :tongue5: She is also now quite good at using her tongue to dislodge stuck food. While she does take a small bag with extra wax, a bite plate, floss picks, a toothbrush, ect. to school in her backpack, I'm pretty sure she has never actually brushed her teeth at school. She's confided that she's used a pencil to unstuck food, which is so gross!

Green_Tea
11-16-2015, 08:18 PM
Our orthodontist specifically told our DD that she doesn't need to brush at school - just swish and swallow.

MelissaTC
11-16-2015, 10:26 PM
M is wearing Invisalign and needs to clean out his mouth as well. He's been swishing and spitting. I try not to think about it.

roobee
11-16-2015, 10:28 PM
My daughter was a complete freak about eating when she first got her braces - and she still is anytime there's a big adjustment. My best advice is to indulge her as best you can for big changes and know that things will go back to normal in a week or two.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Meatball Mommie
11-18-2015, 01:38 PM
My daughter was a complete freak about eating when she first got her braces - and she still is anytime there's a big adjustment. My best advice is to indulge her as best you can for big changes and know that things will go back to normal in a week or two.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I agree - it's still so new to her. Once she's had them for a bit, then she can explore options. DS1 has had his since right before school started. He intended to brush at school, but found he just didn't have time. I believe him as he's completely anal about keeping his teeth clean otherwise. We bought the water pik which he LOVES and he uses those little brushes to get under the wire every time he brushes.

In the meantime - what about yogurt or kefir? DS1 would have a fruit smoothie with protein powder in the morning before school. You could add peanut butter (or other nut butter) instead.

California
11-18-2015, 02:28 PM
We're going through the same thing. I just bought a disposable toothbrush pack at Target last night to see if it helps DD. I hate the waste of it, but she needs the help!

Here's what I bought. I'll let you know you what she says! http://www.target.com/p/colgate-wisp-max-fresh-peppermint-24ct/-/A-14886128?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14886128&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1014218&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4LCyBRCY0N7Oy-mSgNIBEiQAyg39tsoz8utcxAxwNshL3uLe9cWnKCbu-AORVNhWeRI5AVIaAuQ88P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

California
11-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Update: DD said the toothbrush worked really well. She used it right after eating and spit into her lunch napkin.

jenstring95
12-02-2015, 11:13 PM
I had braces through pretty much all of high school, and once I got them and bit into foods and started getting it stuck in my braces I figured out very quickly that I had to break bites off instead of biting into foods. To this day (even though I haven't had braces in almost 25 years), I rarely bite into pizza or sandwiches, etc - I still rip bites off. I still cut my corn off the cob and almost never eat whole apples. She may want to amend how she eats some things - or maybe you can send a fork to help cut things up? I'm guessing even a plastic knife is not allowed, but if it is that might be a good option too. I never did brush my teeth at school.