PDA

View Full Version : Pork loin really cheap at Costco today only!

jenstring95
11-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Costco has their pork loins for $1.99/lb and then an additional $10 off at the register. I just bought an 8 lb one for <$4. This is for today (Friday) only.

sandwish
11-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Not sure if it was Friday only. But yesterday they also had pumpkin pies for $2.97 and apple pies for $$6.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corrie23
11-28-2015, 10:20 PM
They were still at our Costco for that price today (Sat.) with the $10 off at register. The deal was 1 per person but at checkout they told DH he could come back tomorrow and buy another at the same price so I imagine the deal is going on tomorrow too but YMMV.

mommybug
11-28-2015, 11:04 PM
The deal is listed in the Thanksgiving Weekend ad and is good through the 29th.

AnnieW625
11-29-2015, 03:43 AM
Bought one today, and will most likely buy another one tomorrow (have to go back to buy the voucher for the XMas cards, love that they are pre selling it so I can get my cards after 11/29). Even at $19 as the tag price before the discount it was a great deal. I will have pork loin for months:)

elmojessi
11-29-2015, 09:46 AM
This is going to sound really dumb, but what would you do with a loin? I just recently discovered pork after being a vegetarian for 16 years and my family didn't do pork growing up, so I don't know how to prepare it. Sounds like a great deal, just not sure what to do with that cut.

corrie23
11-29-2015, 09:58 AM
I generally prepare it as I would a beef roast; season and cook. With the loins the size that Costco had, I'll cut them in half to make 2 family-size meals out of each one. My father gifted me a sous vide machine last year and I adore it so that is what I use to prepare most meats now. I'll use that for this (along with the new Foodsaver machine that I also picked up on sale at Costco this weekend to replace my 10+ year old one that wasn't working well).

AnnieW625
11-29-2015, 10:07 AM
This is going to sound really dumb, but what would you do with a loin? I just recently discovered pork after being a vegetarian for 16 years and my family didn't do pork growing up, so I don't know how to prepare it. Sounds like a great deal, just not sure what to do with that cut.

Bbq for about 45 minutes on the grill with some spices (Penzey's Mural of Flavor, a bbq rub, or sage, with a little lemon, and some pepper is my favorite). However these are really thick so you will need to cut in half at least and definitely measure out about a 1lb portion. I turn it on the grill at about 25 minutes, and then check it again 20 minutes later. I also bake in the oven with the same spices at 350 for 45 minutes. I bake it in my Pampered Cheff small ridged baker (love this thing!). Pork can be a little pink while still being done.
eta: I need a food saver too.

corrie23
11-29-2015, 10:15 AM
They had this one http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Sealing-Retractable-Handheld-Heat-Seal/dp/B00DI342IW/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1448806424&sr=1-2&keywords=food+saver for $119 which it looks like Amazon is price matching atm.

elmojessi
11-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the cooking suggestions. Turns out my husband doesn't like "sliced" pork, so I guess I'll pass (which kills me since it's such a good deal). If you could slow cook it like pulled pork, then I would be all over it.

wildfire
11-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the cooking suggestions. Turns out my husband doesn't like "sliced" pork, so I guess I'll pass (which kills me since it's such a good deal). If you could slow cook it like pulled pork, then I would be all over it.

Why not? Just cut part of it into chunks and throw it in the crockpot. That's what I'm planning to do with some of mine.

lisa928
11-29-2015, 09:44 PM
If you could slow cook it like pulled pork, then I would be all over it.

This is exactly what I do with it when I buy it from Costco. I just cut in half to fit into my crockpot then mostly fill with Coke (yes from a bottle of soda). After about 6-8 hours on high I take the meat out and shred, discarding the liquid. Once shredded I add bottled BBQ sauce to. My kids love it and it makes a lot of meals.

jenstring95
11-29-2015, 11:20 PM
This is exactly what I do with it when I buy it from Costco. I just cut in half to fit into my crockpot then mostly fill with Coke (yes from a bottle of soda). After about 6-8 hours on high I take the meat out and shred, discarding the liquid. Once shredded I add bottled BBQ sauce to. My kids love it and it makes a lot of meals.

This is exactly what I do with it. You can also use root beer or Dr Pepper, just no diet soda. Yummy!

calebsmama03
11-30-2015, 01:44 AM
Thanks for this. I was at Costco today and made a point of checking, sale was still on! I don't eat pork but the rest of the family does so I grabbed one, cut into fourths and froze to do crockpot pulled pork. $6.26 for 8.3 pounds. Nice.

KDsMommy
11-30-2015, 12:03 PM
I wonder if this is still on today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aishe
11-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Why not? Just cut part of it into chunks and throw it in the crockpot. That's what I'm planning to do with some of mine.

Really? With a regular pork loin (i.e. not shoulder or butt)? I always thought loin was too lean for slow cooking like that. Have I been missing out?

lisa928
11-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Really? With a regular pork loin (i.e. not shoulder or butt)? I always thought loin was too lean for slow cooking like that. Have I been missing out?

It may not be as moist as when I use the shoulder or but much the shredding is much nicer as I don't have to pick through all of the meat to get out those questionable pieces that I would never eat. It also probably takes more BBQ sauce, but if I am making it I use the loin.

elmojessi
11-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Ugh! Regret for not just picking one up despite my husband's protests! I love pulled pork! Oh well...something learned for next time.

ArizonaGirl
11-30-2015, 11:28 PM

you can totally do that.

I buy loins all the time and and cut them into chops. I brown each side with some pork rub on the saute feature of my instant pot.

Then I stack the chops and cover with water, put the lid on and use the Meat/Stew option and viola.

When done I do a quick release and remove the chops, discard the liquid and shred then cover with your favorite BBQ sauce.

YUM.