PDA

View Full Version : I Will Not Respond on FB. I Will Not Respond on FB.

anonomom
12-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Sigh. I can already tell I'll be repeating that mantra all month. I have a few acquaintances posting every darned day about how proud they are to say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays and they feel so persecuted because others say something different. The "hide" button is my friend.

But seriously, all of these people know they have friends who are atheists and/or of other faiths, and they really are offended if we don't slaver all over them at Christmas time? I don't understand it.

123LuckyMom
12-01-2015, 11:04 AM
It's completely frickin ridiculous, and to crow because you're getting your way while others are made uncomfortable isn't in the spirit of Christmas. Also, it's not Christmas. It's Advent. They're wrong on every possible measure of their own religion. Good for them. Merry Self-righteousness.

georgiegirl
12-01-2015, 11:34 AM
As someone who was raised Jewish (not practicing now), the whole anti-happy holidays thing really pisses me off. Try being part of the religious minority (and sorry Wiccan doesn't count) during Christmas and see how that feels.

Ms B
12-01-2015, 12:44 PM
As someone who was raised Jewish (not practicing now), the whole anti-happy holidays thing really pisses me off. Try being part of the religious minority (and sorry Wiccan doesn't count) during Christmas and see how that feels.

Try being part of that minority and having been BORN on December 25.

I intend to spend the month saying "Happy My Birthday"!!!!!!!!

And also continuing not to use Facebook except to get updates from The Biscuit's school and Target Cartwheel. I am looking at you second degree ILs. This is why you are blocked (among other reasons).

Momit
12-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Ugh. I have a couple of friends like that too. I just don't get it. Why would you wish something to someone who doesn't celebrate it? I don't walk around telling people Happy Birthday all the time.

AngB
12-01-2015, 02:38 PM
So annoying!

This year has been better for me on this than past years, but it could just be I have hidden all the usual suspects that share/post crap like that. Hiding 'all posts from x website',etc. [the place the crap gets originally shared from] helps a lot too, if you haven't!

citymama
12-01-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm more than fine with people saying Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Solstice Greetings, Eid Mubarak or whatever they wish to at this time of year. It's nice to say something cheery to another person. But don't try and straitjacket me and everyone else into issuing the same greeting back to you! Live and let live. Celebrate and let others celebrate (or not) as they want to.

The Starbucks cup brouhaha was ridiculous and completely not in the spirit of the season. Don't we collectively have more important things to worry about or be thankful for?

And happy Dec 25 birthday, Ms B! :)

bisous
12-01-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm more than fine with people saying Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Hanukkah, Solstice Greetings, Eid Mubarak or whatever they wish to at this time of year. It's nice to say something cheery to another person. But don't try and straitjacket me and everyone else into issuing the same greeting back to you! Live and let live. Celebrate and let others celebrate (or not) as they want to.

Could not agree with you more!

rkold
12-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Try being part of that minority and having been BORN on December 25.

I intend to spend the month saying "Happy My Birthday"!!!!!!!!

And also continuing not to use Facebook except to get updates from The Biscuit's school and Target Cartwheel. I am looking at you second degree ILs. This is why you are blocked (among other reasons).

My birthday isn't on the 25th but it is in December, so I do understand how you feel.

A lot of people in the area I live in insist on making sure to say "Merry Christmas" (I've even seen them wear pins about it.) However, the people on my FB feed tend to be either minorities or very liberal, so it's actually more like a refuge for me. >>;

I do have a few people on FB who I've just blocked because I know whatever they post will likely upset me in general.

Ms B
12-01-2015, 03:05 PM

The Starbucks cup brouhaha was ridiculous and completely not in the spirit of the season. Don't we collectively have more important things to worry about or be thankful for?

And happy Dec 25 birthday, Ms B! :)

Thanks! We will be engaging in the now-traditional observances of Birthday: I get to sleep in, then I get champagne and smoked salmon for breakfast (usually in fritatta form, sometimes on a bagel), followed by an afternoon movie (a tribal observance; we will inevitably run into 17 people we know at the theater), and then the annual birthday lobster. Neither my parental units nor the ILs are invited, which makes for a nice relaxing day!

jam224
12-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks! We will be engaging in the now-traditional observances of Birthday: I get to sleep in, then I get champagne and smoked salmon for breakfast (usually in fritatta form, sometimes on a bagel), followed by an afternoon movie (a tribal observance; we will inevitably run into 17 people we know at the theater), and then the annual birthday lobster. Neither my parental units nor the ILs are invited, which makes for a nice relaxing day!

My MIL has her birthday on Christmas too! Gotta say, I love being able to eat birthday cake on Christmas day! ;)

lizzywednesday
12-01-2015, 04:34 PM

I do have a few people on FB who I've just blocked because I know whatever they post will likely upset me in general.

One of my cousins and my stepfather have been hidden.

I'm able to ignore everyone else with a cheery eyeroll.

BunnyBee
12-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Oh yes, being ethnocentric, exclusionary, tone deaf, and smug is so what Christmas is supposed to be! Ugh.

swissair81
12-01-2015, 05:39 PM

What? No Chinese food? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ms B
12-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Nah, we have the lobster instead!

citymama
12-01-2015, 07:07 PM
What? No Chinese food? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love our Christmas day dimsum! :)

Corie
12-01-2015, 07:48 PM

I completely agree with you!! :)

StantonHyde
12-01-2015, 08:32 PM
You need to find 2 Facebook memes that have been going around. One is a graph/chart that has on one line
If somebody says to you "and it lists all the various holiday greetings"
and you are: "lists all of the various religions"
You say "Same to you!"

The other one is from some Catholic group that says "you want to put Christ back in Christmas? Then feed the poor, ...lists various charitable acts"

Let's say--I put both of those on my FB feed--it was my passive aggressive way of getting back!!