PDA

View Full Version : Easy Pot Luck meal for kids...

niccig
12-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Posting for traffic...our old playgroup is getting together one day next week for a Christmas celebration. It's potluck. I have to bring something that I can make before and heat up or do in crockpot that day while I'm at work. It needs to be kid friendly and a substanial dish - the other people have posted what they're bringing and it's all side or things the kids won't eat. This will be dinner for DS and I.

Thanks,
Nicci

SnuggleBuggles
12-10-2015, 08:55 PM
Make your own tacos. Do some chicken and taco sauce (love Frontera brand stuff http://www.fronterafiesta.com/store/seasoning-sauces/27 buy at Target or Whole Foods !!!) in the crockpot. Bring hard and soft tortillas, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, maybe beans. Kids can assemble as they like.

Kestrel
12-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Pasta dish like spaghetti and meatballs? Chili? Homemade Mac & Cheese? Costco lasagna? Or meatballs in BBQ sauce? BBQ pulled pork and rolls? Even something silly easy like beans & hot dogs goes amazingly well if there's "fancy" stuff on the table.

Good luck! (And try not to over-think it!)

JustMe
12-10-2015, 09:13 PM
I would go with Mac and cheese, pasta, or some kind of lasagne depending upon what you eat.

niccig
12-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to make it on Sunday then reheat couple days later. I'm annoyed with this group as no one else volunteers to bring the main part of the meal. I'm tired of having to do it and I'm working now, so I don't have the time I used to have, or that they do. Chips and guacamole isn't going to feed 10 kids, 5 are now 11+

mikala
12-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to make it on Sunday then reheat couple days later. I'm annoyed with this group as no one else volunteers to bring the main part of the meal. I'm tired of having to do it and I'm working now, so I don't have the time I used to have, or that they do. Chips and guacamole isn't going to feed 10 kids, 5 are now 11+

Could you suggest everyone chip in for a pan of costco mac and cheese, pizza, subs, something? That's what we've done with potluck gatherings like this.

niccig
12-10-2015, 11:19 PM
DS isn't fan of mac n cheese and the other pasta dishes may take too long to heat up. I have to get DS at 4.30, then get home to pick up the food and won't be at the party until after 5. It's a school night so they'll all be eating about 6. So I think BBQ pulled pork may be best option as I can put it in to cook before I leave for work, I'll be home 9 hours later. It seems anything with chicken has shorter cooker time according to my Slow Cooker Recipe book. Or should I make it on the weekend, then put in fridge and heat up the day of? Any good recipes?

nfceagles
12-10-2015, 11:27 PM
Someone always brings a big tray of chicken nuggets to our Cub Scout banquet and it always goes over really well with the kids. Not sure if you can time that right.

kristenk
12-10-2015, 11:28 PM
I'd be tempted to eat something quick beforehand with DS and then take a side to share/enjoy with everyone else. I get a little grudge-y with things like that, though, so maybe it would be best to do something other than what I recommend!

There's no reason you should feel compelled to make sure that everyone else's kid has a main dish to eat. Parents see what everyone else has signed up for and they are evidently okay with that. Sign up for a heartier side that you know DS will enjoy and don't worry about it.

I'm interested in seeing what people recommend, though. I just found out that DD's team is doing a potluck next week on a practice night. Parents need to bring a dish (not a dessert) to share but no one signs up for anything so no one knows what anyone else is bringing!!! I'll also have been at the practice for 2 hours by the time the party starts, so I'm having trouble coming up with something. Right now I'm hoping to convince other parents to order pizza with me or go buy chicken tenders from a nearby place right before the party starts.

niccig
12-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I'd be tempted to eat something quick beforehand with DS and then take a side to share/enjoy with everyone else. I get a little grudge-y with things like that, though, so maybe it would be best to do something other than what I recommend!

I was totally thinking of doing something like that and I probably should. Instead, I sent an email saying I think we need more food as there's now 5+ teenage boys - my be diplomatic gene has disappeared with this group, so I'm being blunt. One mum said she'll make 1 pizza, I know the size she's talking about (she's made it before) and DS can eat that by himself.

mikala
12-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I'd be tempted to hand DS a PB&J or two in the car or pick up a sandwich on the way to the potluck! This doesn't have to be your problem to solve, especially if you've picked up the slack in the past.

Whatever you do I'd probably consider making it as easy on yourself as you can. A group with that many hungry kids sounds perfect for a Costco sized container of something. They had some antipasti platters that looked interesting a few weeks ago, lots of cheese options, even just a bag of meatballs heated with sauce in the oven or crockpot could be relatively easy.

niccig
12-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I'd be tempted to hand DS a PB&J or two in the car or pick up a sandwich on the way to the potluck! This doesn't have to be your problem to solve, especially if you've picked up the slack in the past.

Whatever you do I'd probably consider making it as easy on yourself as you can. A group with that many hungry kids sounds perfect for a Costco sized container of something. They had some antipasti platters that looked interesting a few weeks ago, lots of cheese options, even just a bag of meatballs heated with sauce in the oven or crockpot could be relatively easy.

The meatballs could work...could I use a bag of TJs meatballs and bought sauce?! But yes, I may go the PBJ route...I'll see what the reply is to my email. There's actually 10 kids, 5 of them 10+ year old boys...so they will eat

urquie
12-11-2015, 04:20 AM
The meatballs could work...could I use a bag of TJs meatballs and bought sauce?!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, but you may need a couple bags. :-). The most classic, yummy and super easy sauce is a jar of grape jelly mixed with a bottle of Heinz chili sauce (it is similar to ketchup and next to it in the grocery store). Other options would be a bottle of barbecue sauce and/or teriyaki sauce. Or you could do cranberry sauce and orange marmalade. Tons of options, just make sure you get enough sauce to cover the meatballs in the slow cooker.

hellokitty
12-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Yes, you'll need a giant crockpot of meatballs... one christmas my 12 yr old nephew ate pretty much ALL of the meatballs that I had made. I was pretty shocked. I also do the cranberry and bbq sauce recipe, very easy and always a big hit for potlucks. Another option would be to just pick up something hot at the deli or a drive thru otw to the potluck. I totally get what you mean about no main dish. This is something that happened with our recipe club and yes, I'd wind up feeding my kids beforehand for that very reason.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

specialp
12-11-2015, 10:17 AM
I have no idea if other peoples kids like sausage balls, but mine do (ours are not the standard recipe) and that is a easy 4 ingredient recipe that makes a lot, easy to transport, and is substantial so I thought I would mention it.

bigsis
12-12-2015, 01:13 PM
The morning of the party, before going to work, put frozen meatballs in the crockpot, add a jar of store bought marinara sauce, and turn on "warm." It will be ready when you get home from work. You can add parm cheese, but I never have and it's all gone before you know it.