PDA

View Full Version : S/o - Please SPAM me with your absolute FAVORITE breakfast casserole!!

SASM
12-12-2015, 10:42 AM
I want to surprise my children with a breakfast casserole on Christmas Morning. I cannot remember the last time I made a casserole with bread and/or sugar. I am open to ANYTHING absolutely yummy!!! I know I can easily look on recipes sites but would LOVE tried-and-true Family Faves please. If it's sugary, I will make eggs, bacon, etc to round it out for familiar paleo-ness. Thank you so much!!

mikala
12-12-2015, 10:48 AM
This is a favorite at our house. I don't make it often because it's total sugar overload. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/35255/creme-brulee-french-toast/

specialp
12-12-2015, 10:54 AM
We make a savory quiche and a sweet sausage pecan casserole every Chirstmas morning. This recipe is from this board (g mama I think). I actually do 2 8x8 dishes and give one away to my sister, but this is the original.

Sausage Pecan Casserole
1 16 oz. loaf raisin bread
10 oz. sausage links (turkey or pork)
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup half-&-half
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter, softened
2 -4 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
1 cup chopped pecans
Prepare one 13x9 in baking pan. Cube bread and put into the baking dish(es).

Brown sausage according to directions and cut into bite-sized pieces. Put ontop of the bread.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half & half, vanilla, nutmeg & cinnamon until blended. Pour over bread and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Heat oven to 400. Combine brown sugar, butter, syrup and pecans. Spoon over the casserole. Bake uncovered for 45 – 60 minutes until knife inserted in the center comes clean. Will rise and then sink down.

MelissaTC
12-12-2015, 10:58 AM
I always make this for special occasions.

Monkey Bread Recipe - Leanne Ely's recipe

20 unbaked frozen dinner rolls (Bridgeport or Rhodes is a brand I have used)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix (or butterscotch if you prefer)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted

Lightly grease a 10 inch bundt cake pan. Place frozen
rolls into the pan and sprinkle with brown sugar, the pudding mix, and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over the top. If you don't have a bundt pan, you can use a muffin tin, but they turn out better in a bundt pan.

Cover with a clean, damp cloth and leave overnight at room temperature to rise.

In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake rolls for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Turn rolls out onto a serving plate and dig in!

Kindra178
12-12-2015, 11:00 AM
We make a savory quiche and a sweet sausage pecan casserole every Chirstmas morning. This recipe is from this board (g mama I think). I actually do 2 8x8 dishes and give one away to my sister, but this is the original.

Sausage Pecan Casserole
1 16 oz. loaf raisin bread
10 oz. sausage links (turkey or pork)
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup half-&-half
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter, softened
2 -4 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
1 cup chopped pecans
Prepare one 13x9 in baking pan. Cube bread and put into the baking dish(es).

Brown sausage according to directions and cut into bite-sized pieces. Put ontop of the bread.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half & half, vanilla, nutmeg & cinnamon until blended. Pour over bread and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Heat oven to 400. Combine brown sugar, butter, syrup and pecans. Spoon over the casserole. Bake uncovered for 45 – 60 minutes until knife inserted in the center comes clean. Will rise and then sink down.

How would this taste without the nuts?

specialp
12-12-2015, 11:18 AM
How would this taste without the nuts?

Fine, I think. It will still have the sweet with the occasionally salty bite of the sausage link. It just won't have the crunch. The nut/butter/sugar topping gives the top a crunch while the bottom is more soft. I'd still keep the butter and sugar :).

kristenk
12-12-2015, 12:53 PM
This is the one that is our Christmas Day tradition.

Baked AppleFrench Bread

1 large loaf of french bread
8 eggs
3 c. milk
3/4 c. sugar, divided
1 T vanilla
4-5 Granny Smith apples
2 t cinnamon
2 T butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 pan lightly with cooking spray. Slice bread 1 1/2 inches thick. Place bread tightly in pan in a single layer. Place eggs in bowl. Beat lightly. Add milk, 1/4 c. sugar and vanilla and whisk.

Pour 1/2 batter over bread.

Peel, core and slice apples. Place apples on top of bread to cover. Pour remaining batter over apples.

Mix remaining 1/2 c. of sugar with cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over apples. Dot with butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes if not efrigerated or about 50 minutes if refrigerated. Cool 5-10 minutes.

MY NOTES: This is the version I started with. It was good, but I hated trying to squish all of the bread into a single layer, etc., so I changed the recipe a little. Instead of slicing the bread and apples, I cut them into large chunks. I put all of the cubed bread at the bottom of the pan and then put cubes of apple on top. The size for both is basically a big larger than bite-size.

The cooking time was off for me, but I'm not sure how much longer it took. I know that it took a lot longer than 15 extra minutes if the recipe was made ahead and refrigerated, though.

This year, I will be cubing the bread and slicing the apples the night before and then putting it all together the morning of. I think that will end up saving quite a bit of cooking time.

***** I copied the above from another post I made. To speed things along in the morning, I'll cut up the bread and the apples the night before. I'll store the bread cubes in a big ziplock. The apples go in the fridge. I put the whole thing together in the morning and it doesn't take too much time. I generally cube the bread although slices are fine, too. Some years the apples are sliced, most years they're cubed. I put the whole thing together (bread on the bottom, apples on top of the bread) and then pour all of the egg mixture on top.

bigsis
12-12-2015, 12:57 PM
I can't seem to send a link :bag but a favorite in our home and my DH's work is Trisha Yearwood's Sausage Breakfast Casserole.

oneplustwo
12-12-2015, 02:57 PM
A couple of our favorites are French Toast Bread Pudding http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/french-toast-bread-pudding-108944 (I make without the pecans; I also came up with a gluten free version of it that no one has ever noticed is gluten free) and King Arthur's version of Monkey Bread http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/monkey-in-a-tree-recipe (I make in a regular 9x13 pan, not the holiday tree one). We pretty much alternate between the two for Christmas mornings; love that they can be prepared the day before and then popped right into the oven in the morning. I've made the Monkey Bread two or maybe even three days ahead too.

vludmilla
12-12-2015, 03:32 PM
We love Pioneer Woman's french toast casserole but we cut way back on the sugar in the recipe and it is still super sweet and tasty. We've served it to many people and it has been a hit with all of them. The only problem is that everyone wants to way more of it than anyone should!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/cinnamon-baked-french-toast/

Meatball Mommie
12-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Our "go to" recipe is from Taste of Home magazine. It's called "overnight asparagus strata" but don't let the asparagus in the name stop you. I've only made it with asparagus once! You can add whatever omelet-type ingredients you like. I've even done all meat to please my family of boys ;)
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/overnight-asparagus-strata

The English muffins at the bottom kind of dissolve to make a crust. Hard to explain but it's perfect every time. I think I've made it for 10 years!

bisous
12-12-2015, 05:14 PM
I need to get my friend's recipe. Had it at a party last Saturday morning and IT is my new favorite. I will post when I get it. I don't know how time intensive it is.

Here's what I've been making the past few years. It is called (aptly) Christmas Morn Casserole and it is savory rather than sweet:

30 ounce package frozen hashbrowns, thawed
4 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (honestly I always sub in some pepper jack)
3 cups cooked ham, diced
7 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard

1. Place hashbrowns in a greased 9X13 inch pan
2. Sprinkle with cheese and ham; set aside
3. Beat eggs, milk, salt and mustard together; pour over ham
4. Bake covered at 350 degrees for one hour.
5. Uncover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until golden

I use packages of everything already shredded, diced etc.

I put hashbrowns, cheese and ham in the pan on Christmas Eve. Then I just mix up the egg mixture and pour it over in the morning. We eat this before we do presents (or we try to!)

SASM
12-12-2015, 09:16 PM
OMG!!!!! I honestly cannot THANK YOU all enough for your suggestions!!!! AND...Thank you for the nut-free options as well. We have nut allergies so I am always trying to find some way to find sub nuts and keep the texture or HOPE that the nut-omission will not change the dish drastically. THANK YOU!!!! I am printing all of this yumminess and will have a VERY difficult time deciding!!

Bisous...I would LOVE to see your friend's recipe!! I hope you get it!

boolady
12-12-2015, 11:07 PM
This is our favorite sweet breakfast casserole:

French Toast Bread Pudding
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-toast-bread-pudding-recipe.html

This our absolute favorite savory breakfast casserole:

Spinach and Gruyere Strata
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/12/spinach-and-cheese-strata/

AnnieW625
12-13-2015, 11:54 AM
I made that Ina Garten French toast one a few years ago and it was a huge fail, it was a horrible soggy mess, and I even bought the challah bread from the bakery (I think I was more ticked I wasted $7 on two good loaves of bread!). I know Ina's recipes are very particular and I have made many of her recipes before, but I just still can't figure out what went wrong.

I will post my recipes later today when I have some time.

amybds
12-13-2015, 09:32 PM
I make this one, but with frozen mixed berries instead of only blueberries.

Blueberry Cream French Toast Casserole

1 loaf Texas toast or french toast bread, cut into cubes (I used a loaf of french bread cut into cubes)
8 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) blueberries, tossed lightly with flour
Cinnamon
8 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter, melted
Coat a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer one half of bread cubes in baking dish.
Cream together sugar and cream cheese and drop by teaspoonfuls over bread. Layer blueberries over cream cheese. Cover blueberries with remaining bread. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.
Mix remaining ingredients and pour over bread; press bread with spatula to help soak up mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
Serves 8.