PDA

View Full Version : Will pink eye go away on it's own?

gatorsmom
12-14-2015, 08:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I have pink eye in my left eye. I woke up yesterday to that eye itching like crazy, feeling like I had something in it on one entire side, and it was nearly shut and weeping like crazy. I haven't touched it other than wiping it with a warm washcloth and I'm not rubbing it. I was kinda hoping it would pass on it's own. But I'll go in if that's the only way to heal it. Thoughts?

klwa
12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
The problem with pink eye is that the doctor never knows when treating it whether it's viral or bacterial. So, they give you the drops, but aren't sure if they'll work or not. With that said, I usually go in (or start treating myself) when I suspect it, just because I freak out about anything happening to my eyes.

lizzywednesday
12-14-2015, 08:56 AM
Well, the short answer is "maybe."

Itchy and weeping doesn't necessarily mean pinkeye; in my experience with it, there's quite a bit of mucus-y discharge that may make your eye feel "gummy" for pinkeye. Have you tried taking Benadryl or another antihistamine to see if that helps clear it?

If the Benadryl doesn't clear it, there are two types of pinkeye; one requires meds while the other will make you miserable for a couple days but it doesn't respond to meds. (I think one's bacterial and the other's viral? It's been a while since DD last had pinkeye, so I don't remember.)

If your PCP has a nurse's line that you can use to talk things out, I'd call and figure out from them if you need to come in; personally, I'd go in to have it checked but only because I'm not willing to mess with anything to do with my vision.

Copays are the worst, but so is being ill at the holidays!

elizamom
12-14-2015, 09:51 AM
DS had pink eye months ago and I caught it and asked the same question on here. DS's went away on its own. I was pregnant at the time and I decided mine would probably go away on its own too. I waited it out over a week and it wasn't getting better. My OBYN prescribed me eye drops (for bacteria) that I was instructed to use for 10 days. I used it for 3 days and it went away. Your doc would probably call you in the eye drops so you don't have to deal wth the hassle of an appointment, should you decide to treat with a prescription.

marymoo86
12-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Could very well be allergy pink eye. You can try Clear Eyes and see if that helps. Generally only takes a couple of applications to see if it is allergy.

If the drainage is clear, then usually viral or allergy. Greenish/yellow is indicative of bacterial in most instances.

If you want to try natural remedies:

honey, eyebright herbs, saltwater eye drops, colloidal silver

Generally pink eye will go away on its own but you will need to see a doctor if you have pain or light sensitivity.

AnnieW625
12-14-2015, 10:51 AM
That is full on pink eye and it can spread if you aren't careful. I would be going to urgent care ASAP.

ckso
12-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Pink eye spreads fast so I wouldn't risk it. DD2 eyes were bothering her when we were at Disneyland. It was probably 11 am and it was a slight irritation in 1 eye. By 6 pm it was gummy and in both eyes. I treated it that night and it took awhile to clear

I would get it checked right away. But usually my doctor will prescribe the eyedrop over the phone based on the symptoms and saves me the trip of actually going into the office

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California
12-14-2015, 11:59 AM
I've shared on here before that a school nurse suggested using a salt water compress (just mix hot water with a handful of salt and dip a washcloth in it) several times a day. For us, this consistently works the first day, just as fast as drops without the hassle of a doctor visit.

llama8
12-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Pink eye is highly contagious. I would go to urgent care asap. If it is bacterial, it will get worse and it is very painful and uncomfortable. It could also cause permanent eye damage if left untreated. I never fool around with pink eye.

essnce629
12-14-2015, 07:11 PM
A few drops of strong camomile tea usually clears it right up for us. I actually treated DS2 's eyes with it just last week. I just steep a camomile tea bag in about a 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes. Let it cool. Then dip a q-tip in the tea and squeeze out a few drops in each eye. I'd only go to the doctor if the tea didn't work within a day or so.

Aishe
12-14-2015, 08:05 PM
I've shared on here before that a school nurse suggested using a salt water compress (just mix hot water with a handful of salt and dip a washcloth in it) several times a day. For us, this consistently works the first day, just as fast as drops without the hassle of a doctor visit.

Our pediatrician recommends treating with saline solution (the kind sold for contact lenses) before moving on to antibiotics. It works most of the time for us.

HannaAddict
12-14-2015, 08:34 PM
It is so contagious I wouldn't try to wait and see, I'd get treated. Not a fun way to spend the holidays and if you spread it that would be the worst.

Momit
12-14-2015, 10:23 PM
It is so contagious I wouldn't try to wait and see, I'd get treated. Not a fun way to spend the holidays and if you spread it that would be the worst.

I agree. We dealt with pinkeye in our house over Thanksgiving 2 years ago and it was miserable. DS got it, then I did. We were surprised when DH did as well, because by then we knew what we were dealing with and were being super careful with hand washing and sanitizing, not sharing towels etc.

twowhat?
12-14-2015, 10:35 PM
I've gotten viral pinkeye a couple of times from my kids and both times it has cleared up on its own with just saline drops for symptomatic relief. However in your case I think I would go in, just given the proximity to the holidays and all...