PDA

View Full Version : Chicken pox

Nooknookmom
12-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Not us yet thank goodness...but it's in our schools. DD 8- is vaxxed but a close friend has three kids (who I have a feeling may have started it) who's kids are NOT VAXXED :(

Not startin a vax war but this really bugs me! DD1 (20) had them with vax but mild...10% chance DD 2 could get them. We have at least two kiddos in our school alone fighting cancer or have a sibling on chemo.

Ugh! What are the chances it will roll our way without direct contact just though the city? Small town in SoCal everyone goes to the same stores etc.

JBaxter
12-16-2015, 03:04 PM
My 3 who were vax'd got them anyway ( one quite horribly I might add much worse than my unvaxed one) I took Jack to a chicken pox party at 15 months so I didn't have to worry about him getting them anyway when he was older. Not wanting to add to your vax war but kids with cancer and chemo are susceptible to everything with a low immune system. I'm guessing you don't know if the currently infected kids were vaccinated or not?

daisysmom
12-16-2015, 03:13 PM
I got the chicken pox at 18, and vax's weren't available then. I ended up in the hospital (frankly, finding out it was the chicken pox was a relief, as my parents thought I had them as an infant when my siblings did).
I feel for the kids with compromised immune systems.

marymoo86
12-16-2015, 03:15 PM
Any person getting a live virus vaccine is a threat to immunocompromised due to shedding.

Why are you presuming to blame the unvaccinated to have "started it" when you had a child that experienced vaccine failure?

essnce629
12-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Not us yet thank goodness...but it's in our schools. DD 8- is vaxxed but a close friend has three kids (who I have a feeling may have started it) who's kids are NOT VAXXED :(

Not startin a vax war but this really bugs me! DD1 (20) had them with vax but mild...10% chance DD 2 could get them. We have at least two kiddos in our school alone fighting cancer or have a sibling on chemo.

Ugh! What are the chances it will roll our way without direct contact just though the city? Small town in SoCal everyone goes to the same stores etc.

I really think your chances of coming in contact with it are extremely rare. My kids are unvaxed and we've had 2 cases of chickenpox at DS2's school this year. DS1 already had chickenpox when he was 5 (when I was pregnant with DS2), but DS2 hasn't had it yet. I was hoping he would have got it at school but nope! When DS1 had chickenpox I had a pox party at my house with 8 kids who were directly exposed by sharing a lollipop with DS1. Only ONE out of the 8 kids ended up with chickenpox. So it's not that easy to get!

JBaxter
12-16-2015, 04:01 PM

I want to know if a child who could not be vaxed for some reason contracted chicken pox from someplace ( we never figured out where my 2 oldest vax'd kids got theirs btw) and gave it to a vaccinated child would you be so miffed?

Nooknookmom
12-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Any person getting a live virus vaccine is a threat to immunocompromised due to shedding.

Why are you presuming to blame the unvaccinated to have "started it" when you had a child that experienced vaccine failure?

As I said at the start I don't want a war so I'll decline to engage. Just feel bad for the kids I know in treatment... Thanks.

Nooknookmom
12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Ps thx for the polite answers. Hoping our chances are small. Hubby had shingles before and it was excruciating for him.

JBaxter
12-16-2015, 04:43 PM
you can get chicken pox from a person with active shingles. Jack's friend got her chicken pox from an Aunt with shingles then we shared sippy cups and lollipops and our co-op group all got them. I know 2 children who have had shingles and both had the varicella vaccine.
Ps thx for the polite answers. Hoping our chances are small. Hubby had shingles before and it was excruciating for him.

megs4413
12-16-2015, 05:09 PM
No vax war flaming from me, but to be totally honest, you don't seem that familiar with the issues surrounding the way the CP vax works, boosters, immunity, shingles, etc. understanding all of that better might make you feel better about your risks.

doberbrat
12-16-2015, 05:57 PM
No vax war flaming from me, but to be totally honest, you don't seem that familiar with the issues surrounding the way the CP vax works, boosters, immunity, shingles, etc. understanding all of that better might make you feel better about your risks.

I agree with Megs. Additionally, no one, vaccinated or not, "started it". Its a disease that people can get whether they are vaccinated or not. (kinda like the flu) People can get cp from people with CP up to 5 days before they know they have it, from people with shingles and from people who were very recently vaccinated.

To ease your mind, it took 5 tries for dd1 to get CP. Not 5 casual encounters, but 5actual attempts involving sharing lollipops, qtips and sippy cups.

MamaMolly
12-17-2015, 02:03 AM
As I said at the start I don't want a war so I'll decline to engage. Just feel bad for the kids I know in treatment... Thanks.

:applause:

Tondi G
12-17-2015, 12:31 PM
My boys have been vaccinated for CP but now I kinda wish we had declined the vaccine and had attempted to have them get the CP naturally and build a natural immunity. I had them as a child and it wasn't so bad. I remember when I was maybe 11, my next door neighbor came down with them and I spent every afternoon hanging out with her after school.... natural immunity, didn't get em again! My DS2 came home with a note from school in 2nd grade I think, that a child in his class had come down with the chickenpox. When I asked him about it, he said he thought it was the little girl who sat right next to him as she had been out of school for several days already. He didn't come down with CP then so I guess the vaccine is working for him. I think you are probably ok. It is contagious but I think somewhat difficult to get unless you have direct contact with weeping sores or saliva.

citymama
12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
As an adult who hasn't had CP, I really hope we can all benefit from medical advances and protect adults, kids, immuno-compromised from unnecessary exposure to this disease - I know it's pretty awful to get as an adult and I hope kids I'm in contact with have been vaxed!

corrie23
12-17-2015, 01:32 PM
As an adult who hasn't had CP, I really hope we can all benefit from medical advances and protect adults, kids, immuno-compromised from unnecessary exposure to this disease - I know it's pretty awful to get as an adult and I hope kids I'm in contact with have been vaxed!

Have you ever been titered? I'm not sure how old you are, but if you were a kid before vaxes when c'pox was a common childhood illness, you may have had it an been fairly asymptomatic. It always is a head scratcher for me when people assume that they either do or do not have an immunity to an illness but have not had a blood titer done. Same goes for people who have been vaxed (especially for pertussis and C'pox where vax is not so great with its efficacy or it wanes over time). The blood will tell you what you have a healthy immunity to far better than your medical records or memory will.

citymama
12-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Have you ever been titered? I'm not sure how old you are, but if you were a kid before vaxes when c'pox was a common childhood illness, you may have had it an been fairly asymptomatic. It always is a head scratcher for me when people assume that they either do or do not have an immunity to an illness but have not had a blood titer done. Same goes for people who have been vaxed (especially for pertussis and C'pox where vax is not so great with its efficacy or it wanes over time). The blood will tell you what you have a healthy immunity to far better than your medical records or memory will.

Yes, three times. Docs refuse to believe I haven't had it! I've also had to have two separate rounds of the vaccine (ie vaccine plus booster) bc I didn't develop immunity the first time around and my OB wanted me vaxed before getting pregnant. My sister didn't have it either and has been titered twice. I'm 42.

Corie
12-17-2015, 02:00 PM
I had chicken pox when I was just 6 months old and from what my mom and my aunt said, it was really bad.