PDA

View Full Version : Pack snow gear or not?

Twoboos
12-17-2015, 04:59 PM
We are going someplace having real winter, as opposed to the 50+ degree days we've been having here in New England!

We won't be skiing, but might take the kids tubing. So one day of real outdoor activities.

Do I have to pack snow pants/boots? How else can I work around this - I'd love to keep our bags to just carryons. The girls have the medium size llbean rolling duffles.

Any ideas?

mmsmom
12-17-2015, 05:07 PM
I think you can get away with no snow pants but you will need the boots. The places we have tubed require boots. You can have kids wear a base layer or long johns under pants & bring a change of clothes because pants will probably get wet.

ETA: could you ship a box of boots & snow pants to your destination? Shipping both ways probably would be about the same as checked bag fees.

anonomom
12-17-2015, 05:26 PM
I'd bring them if you can possibly swing it.

FWIW, five year ago, we spent Christmas in NJ (I live in NC). I had snow gear for the kids and after checking the weather for every day of our trip, I decided to leave it at home. That year, there was a HUGE snowstorm on Christmas. And we were stuck in the hotel, with absolutely no gear to enjoy the snow. In retrospect, I'd rather have packed that extra bag and not needed it.

Philly Mom
12-17-2015, 05:28 PM
If there is actual snow, I would bring. How boring to be without snow gear in a snowy environment.

TwinFoxes
12-17-2015, 06:26 PM
It'd be different if you weren't doing snow activities, but tubing requires snow gear IMO. Who wants to be miserable and cold, when you could be nice and dry and having fun?

ABO Mama
12-17-2015, 06:27 PM
If there is actual snow, I would bring. How boring to be without snow gear in a snowy environment.
For sure! What better way to get energy out than playing in the snow. Wet jeans are cold and miserable. Since you haven't had much winter yet this year, playing in the snow will be extra appealing and fun.

Momit
12-17-2015, 06:50 PM
I would not go tubing without snow pants, boots and mittens. I mean, you're practically lying down on the snow.

Are you sure they have snow where you're going? Lots of places seem to be having a mild winter.

Twoboos
12-17-2015, 11:49 PM
Are you sure they have snow where you're going? Lots of places seem to be having a mild winter.

Oh yes, definitely. They've been getting hit while we've gotten nothing! Flowers and shrubs are trying to bloom here!

OK so we'll take it. Either cram it all in to the carryons, or DH can bring a big suitcase with his stuff and snow stuff and we'll check that one.