PDA

View Full Version : What to do if DH likes to give lots of presents at Xmas? what to give?

ckso
12-19-2015, 09:34 PM
DH's tradition in his family is that they like to give lots of presents at Christmas time. Almost to a point where quantity is more important than quality but that's another post.

Anyways, we've been married for 9 years now and I'm not sure what to give him for Christmas. I hate buying stuff for the sake of "buying because it's christmas". Yes, we do it with the kids and the things we buy are things they want.

I tried telling him I'd rather get things like date night or go for a nice movie/dinner/etc but he insist on having lots of gifts. and that we shouldn't focus on getting each other a lot of gifts. But he insists that I need a lot of presents to open at Christmas time so of course I always end up getting stressed out about what to buy for him.

so here I am, 5 days before christmas and so far all i bought was a shirt and a box of whoppers (which he loves). I don't know what to get. Ideas??

pinkmomagain
12-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Extra charger for phone, underwear, socks, undershirts, slippers, earbuds, Bluetooth speakers, robe, workout clothes, cologne.....all things that may not be too expensive, he could use/needs and adds to quantity.

ray7694
12-19-2015, 09:43 PM
My dh likes events. I usually get tickets to a concert or sporting event

Hippoharbor
12-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Special chocolates, etc that he likes to eat; coffee mug, popular book, toothbrush heads, tools, massager that fits over chair (homedics), tie, photo of kids/family in nice frame for workplace,

mackmama
12-19-2015, 09:54 PM
framed photo of you/kids
cufflinks
cologne
board game
book
wallet or money clip
garbage bag for his car
home-made coupons for a massage, movie night, dinner in bed, etc

roobee
12-19-2015, 10:12 PM
belt
wallet
gloves
blanket or throw
new pillow
robe
ornament
water bottle or coffee mug

hillview
12-19-2015, 11:03 PM
Underwear
socks
hoodie
workout clothes
nice bottle of wine/scotch etc
travel mug for coffee
sports team stuff

essnce629
12-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Maybe ask him to start an Amazon wish list or something. DH and I both have wish lists, as do our kids, and we just shop off them at Christmas time and birthdays. Easy peasy and we both get stuff that we want!

mikala
12-20-2015, 02:12 AM
Travel coffee mug
Photo gifts like framed family pics, mugs, luggage tags
Toiletries like nicer shaving cream
Favorite foods
Gifts the whole family can share like board games
Stuff you may need for the house anyway like new tools

Also anything that may need to be replaced soon like a worn out wallet, socks, old slippers, etc.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

specialp
12-20-2015, 08:20 AM
Lots of good suggestions.

Maybe ask him to start an Amazon wish list or something. DH and I both have wish lists, as do our kids, and we just shop off them at Christmas time and birthdays. Easy peasy and we both get stuff that we want!
:yeahthat: Try to convince him of this going forward. We do a pinterest board, but same thing and add to it all year long.

Momit
12-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I think our DHes were raised in the same house! Mine is exactly the same way. I would rather receive one nice, thoughtful gift than a huge pile - but that's just not how he operates.

So far, I have for him: Hydroflask beer glasses, a corkcicle, a new lightning cable, a Dunkin gift card, a Ravensburger game (from DS for us to play as a family). I often check Groupon for an experience of some sort, or the Groupon Goods section for unique little do-dads (Wallet Ninja was one this year).

twowhat?
12-20-2015, 02:00 PM
That would drive me insane as we are trying so hard to reduce clutter!!

Having said that, this year I got DH an LED camp lantern (which we can use for power outages), a business card holder (which he asked for since he has a field job), and iTunes gift cards (consumable). He also mentioned wanting one of those emergency weather radios but I haven't figured out what's best to get yet...

Usually each year we pick something big we both want and get that. Neither of us have any need for a bunch of small presents since we tend to just buy ourselves whatever we need during the year.