PDA

View Full Version : Dog breeder?

DietCokeLover
12-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Has anyone here ever bred dogs before? I got this wild idea the other day and now I can't get it out of my head. DH thinks I am nuts, and maybe I am. Just wondering about others experiences or thoughts.

trcy
12-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Has anyone here ever bred dogs before? I got this wild idea the other day and now I can't get it out of my head. DH thinks I am nuts, and maybe I am. Just wondering about others experiences or thoughts.
I truely believe breeding should only be done by someone that knows, works with and shows the breed they are breeding. They are so many homeless dogs, even purebred, because of recreational breeders. IMO, breeding should be done with the goal of breed improvement.
Also, I have fostered several pregnant dogs. Caring for mom and pups is a lot of work!

elbenn
12-20-2015, 10:17 AM
I truely believe breeding should only be done by someone that knows, works with and shows the breed they are breeding. They are so many homeless dogs, even purebred, because of recreational breeders. IMO, breeding should be done with the goal of breed improvement.
Also, I have fostered several pregnant dogs. Caring for mom and pups is a lot of work!

I agree. OP, maybe you fall into this category, but I definitely agree that breeders should have extensive knowledge of a breed and have worked extensively with that breed.

123LuckyMom
12-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Please, please don't become a "backyard breeder!" Dog breeding should only be done by people with significant experience and expertise in choosing which dogs to mate in order to preserve and enhance the good qualities of a breed and reduce the negative while also keeping in mind heredity lines and diseases to which the breed is prone. And no dog should ever be bred that doesn't already have a good home before it is even born. There are way too many unwanted and abandoned dogs out there who need homes. The only reason to breed dogs on purpose is to enhance a particular breed. Then the purpose of breeding is to produce as perfect as possible an example of the breed. It's not a way to make money while being around dogs and puppies. If you're really interested in becoming a breeder, choose your breed and see if you can apprentice yourself to someone who is known in the AKC community. Find out more about how to find dogs to breed and the expense (which is significant), risk, and time involved (also enormous). I think you will find it's not for you, but if you do decide to enter the field, you'll do so as an educated and responsible person, and you won't, even with the best of intentions, be hurting the very animals you love.

Momit
12-20-2015, 12:39 PM

Agreed. There are hundreds of thousands of unwanted pets in our country. While there are many wonderful breeders, there are many others who do it only for the money or just for something to do. Leave it to the pros.

TwinFoxes
12-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Please, please don't become a "backyard breeder!" Dog breeding should only be done by people with significant experience and expertise in choosing which dogs to mate in order to preserve and enhance the good qualities of a breed and reduce the negative while also keeping in mind heredity lines and diseases to which the breed is prone. And no dog should ever be bred that doesn't already have a good home before it is even born. There are way too many unwanted and abandoned dogs out there who need homes. The only reason to breed dogs on purpose is to enhance a particular breed. Then the purpose of breeding is to produce as perfect as possible an example of the breed. It's not a way to make money while being around dogs and puppies. If you're really interested in becoming a breeder, choose your breed and see if you can apprentice yourself to someone who is known in the AKC community. Find out more about how to find dogs to breed and the expense (which is significant), risk, and time involved (also enormous). I think you will find it's not for you, but if you do decide to enter the field, you'll do so as an educated and responsible person, and you won't, even with the best of intentions, be hurting the very animals you love.

So much better than my planned response of "NOOOOOOO!" :)

westwoodmom04
12-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Just wanted to add in addition to the excellent comments above, that it is a s*load of work and if done right, only makes sense as a labor of love. Our breeder had been showing the particular breed for more than two decades and at most, had two litters a year (and I think this is the maximum that any respectable breeder will do). She kept the puppies in her home and literally was up day and night for the first few weeks. She had medically testing for genetic issues common for the breed performed on the parents and all puppies. She kept the puppies until 10 weeks and had them crate and lease trained when she sent them to their homes. Puppies had their first set of shots and were microchipped with her as a secondary contact (she also agrees to take back any of her dogs at any time because she doesn't want any of them to ever see the inside of a shelter). Until recently, she at least one puppy from each litter for show purposes. When you add up all the food, supplies, and medical costs (for the pregnant dog as well), it isn't much of a money maker.

westwoodmom04
12-20-2015, 01:39 PM
If you really love dogs, consider a dog walking or boarding service. A friend recently started one and was amazed at the response. Most people would rather keep their dog in a home while away than a kennel. But she had a ton of experience volunteering at a shelter and was trained to deal with dog aggression if any of the dogs did not get along. And it is a huge amount of cleaning (she takes three or four dogs max in addition to her own).

ahisma
12-20-2015, 02:09 PM
We got our last dog from a breeder - for a variety of reasons (significant allergy concerns, a child afraid of dogs, and a bad experience with a rescue attempt). I truly can't imagine that our breeder makes much of a profit once all is said and done. It's very much a labor of love

JBaxter
12-20-2015, 02:15 PM
My Mom does on a limited basis. She has 2 females and does one litter a year each. She also has a small farm and has goats cows chickens and horses and is and is a retired nurse. Her vet makes house calls. She jokingly says she went from working with 2 legged to midwifing 4 legged ones.

oneplustwo
12-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Please, please don't become a "backyard breeder!" Dog breeding should only be done by people with significant experience and expertise in choosing which dogs to mate in order to preserve and enhance the good qualities of a breed and reduce the negative while also keeping in mind heredity lines and diseases to which the breed is prone. And no dog should ever be bred that doesn't already have a good home before it is even born. There are way too many unwanted and abandoned dogs out there who need homes. The only reason to breed dogs on purpose is to enhance a particular breed. Then the purpose of breeding is to produce as perfect as possible an example of the breed. It's not a way to make money while being around dogs and puppies. If you're really interested in becoming a breeder, choose your breed and see if you can apprentice yourself to someone who is known in the AKC community. Find out more about how to find dogs to breed and the expense (which is significant), risk, and time involved (also enormous). I think you will find it's not for you, but if you do decide to enter the field, you'll do so as an educated and responsible person, and you won't, even with the best of intentions, be hurting the very animals you love. OP, you didn't mention how this idea came to you. I'm assuming it's based on a love of dogs, perhaps a particular breed? If it's to make money, you should look elsewhere, since when dog breeding is done right, there is not much profit in it. I agree with 123LuckyMom and others. Explore this idea by visiting shows for the breed you're interested in. Get to know some breeders and those showing the breed, look into showing your dog (or a dog). All the breeders I know don't have kids or their kids are grown; I think this is often the case simply because it is a huge commitment to become a breeder and do it right. My aunt showed dogs and then moved into breeding for a while, so I've seen up close what it's like.

npace19147
12-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Our dog breeder recently posted a meme on her FB page: "The best way to become a millionaire as a dog breeder....is to start out as a billionaire."

DietCokeLover
12-20-2015, 05:16 PM
Thank you for all your responses. While I wont go into some of the reasons I even considered this idea, it was certainly not to be an irresponsible or inhumane breeder, nor as a money making scheme. I really do appreciate your views. DH would have never gotten on board with it anyway. :)

Charlie
12-20-2015, 05:38 PM
What about fostering? If you are interested in a particular breed, there are rescue organizations that look for foster homes before placing the dogs in permanent homes.

Liziz
12-20-2015, 10:29 PM
What about fostering? If you are interested in a particular breed, there are rescue organizations that look for foster homes before placing the dogs in permanent homes.

:yeahthat:
That's what I was thinking too. I have several relatives who do this and find it really rewarding.

dogmom
12-22-2015, 08:59 AM
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. If you are doing it because you love dogs and realize at best you will cover your costs I would recommend you look into it. There are people who are looking for specific breeds and puppies to boot. When we wanted to have kids I wanted a puppy so we could raise it. I've adopted older rescue dogs before and since, but with young kids I felt better adopting a puppy. Where I live in New England puppies are VERY hard to come by except by very volunteer rescue organizations. So I find it a little hypocrtical for people to be "Oh no, backyard breeders are horrible because they are amatures, but any volunteer to put together a rescue is fine." I've had friends volunteer from some of these and have to stop because the people running them, although well meaning, lack so much knowledge as to be borderline dangerous.

The best dog we have ever had was a Lab from a "backyard breeder". We were trying to adopt a puppy in a time frame where I would be home over the summer. We were running out of time and wound up with a older gentleman that hunted and did sport trials with his dogs and would breed one litter a year. He bred from family and hunting traits. I got to see the dogs and their home. He lived in the area and knew the vets and had recommendations. He was vary knowlegable about the breed as an owner and hunter, not a "show dog" person. He actually expressed frustration that he had trouble finding mates for his dogs because he didn't want to breed "show dog" labs, but good hunting/family Labs and there were less and less around. He felt that genetic diversity was important and if the only people breeding were breeding for show, there was an issue.

And every time someone goes on about how backyard breeders are irresponsible compared to professional breeders I got to laugh. I own a Basset Hound rescue now, and both me and my husband had Basset Hounds growing up. The Basset Hound breed is so irresponsibly bred now I feel like it's cruel to the dog, and that's by "responsible breeders". If you are breeding for an extreme show standard it is just wrong for biological diversity.

I would love there to be more options for puppies that including people like you. I know I'm supposed to be all supportive of only adopting shelter dogs, and I have and will. But I have some real questions about the fact that right now we are basically importing dogs from the South because people down there apparently can't freaking spay or neuter I've had two friends who are knowledgable, responsible and wanted to do the right thing get dogs from shelters that imported up and wound up having to put the dogs down because they wound up attacking without warning. And this was after being worked with a trainer. Professional people working with well established non-profits supported their decisions. Something about the current system is just broken.

I realize my views aren't common, but I've come to them after 2 decades of experience as a dog owner and not just by repeating stuff that I hear that is common wisdom.

TwinFoxes
12-22-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. If you are doing it because you love dogs and realize at best you will cover your costs I would recommend you look into it. There are people who are looking for specific breeds and puppies to boot. When we wanted to have kids I wanted a puppy so we could raise it. I've adopted older rescue dogs before and since, but with young kids I felt better adopting a puppy. Where I live in New England puppies are VERY hard to come by except by very volunteer rescue organizations. So I find it a little hypocrtical for people to be "Oh no, backyard breeders are horrible because they are amatures, but any volunteer to put together a rescue is fine." I've had friends volunteer from some of these and have to stop because the people running them, although well meaning, lack so much knowledge as to be borderline dangerous.

The best dog we have ever had was a Lab from a "backyard breeder". We were trying to adopt a puppy in a time frame where I would be home over the summer. We were running out of time and wound up with a older gentleman that hunted and did sport trials with his dogs and would breed one litter a year. He bred from family and hunting traits. I got to see the dogs and their home. He lived in the area and knew the vets and had recommendations. He was vary knowlegable about the breed as an owner and hunter, not a "show dog" person. He actually expressed frustration that he had trouble finding mates for his dogs because he didn't want to breed "show dog" labs, but good hunting/family Labs and there were less and less around. He felt that genetic diversity was important and if the only people breeding were breeding for show, there was an issue.

And every time someone goes on about how backyard breeders are irresponsible compared to professional breeders I got to laugh. I own a Basset Hound rescue now, and both me and my husband had Basset Hounds growing up. The Basset Hound breed is so irresponsibly bred now I feel like it's cruel to the dog, and that's by "responsible breeders". If you are breeding for an extreme show standard it is just wrong for biological diversity.

I would love there to be more options for puppies that including people like you. I know I'm supposed to be all supportive of only adopting shelter dogs, and I have and will. But I have some real questions about the fact that right now we are basically importing dogs from the South because people down there apparently can't freaking spay or neuter I've had two friends who are knowledgable, responsible and wanted to do the right thing get dogs from shelters that imported up and wound up having to put the dogs down because they wound up attacking without warning. And this was after being worked with a trainer. Professional people working with well established non-profits supported their decisions. Something about the current system is just broken.

I realize my views aren't common, but I've come to them after 2 decades of experience as a dog owner and not just by repeating stuff that I hear that is common wisdom.

With all due respect, I think you're not interpreting the general tone of the comments fairly. I think a lot of people basically said what you wrote in your first sentence, if she's doing it because of her love of dogs, and knows she will cover her cost or more likely lose money, she should get educated before starting. I've owned dogs for three decades (I'm old.) I've bought dogs from a breeder, gotten two from well-run rescues, and literally adopted one off the street that followed my husband home. OP called it a "wild idea." If she had said "I've been thinking about this for awhile. I love X breed and would love to breed them," I think she would have gotten different responses. Honestly, if she had said "I got a wild idea, I'm going to adopt a puppy" I would have advised caution, let alone starting a whole puppy-making business.

wellyes
12-22-2015, 10:34 AM
I don't think small home breeder = backyard breeder. Backyard breeder definitely has negative connotations. The kind of breeder that sold to pet stores, back in the days you could buy a puppy in a pet store.

I just bought a lab from a home breeder. She has 1 dog and does 1 litter per year max. I love the idea of rescue, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting, because I have little kids, one of whom is SN.

I read this thread thinking "how does she NOT make money? 8 puppies at $1100 each is a lot of money". But of course there is the stud fee (whatever that is) plus any medical needs that come up, include x-rays and possibly surgery. Plus turning her home into a business for two months to raise and sell puppies! One of the puppies died early on, and that is hard. No question it is a labor of love.

From what I understand, American labs are the "hunter" dogs and English labs are the "show" dogs, with somewhat different temperaments. Both great dogs. I bought an English lab.

elbenn
12-22-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't think small home breeder = backyard breeder. Backyard breeder definitely has negative connotations. The kind of breeder that sold to pet stores, back in the days you could buy a puppy in a pet store.

This is absolutely true. Many small home breeders are not backyard breeders.

Kindra178
12-22-2015, 11:31 AM

I just bought a lab from a home breeder. She has 1 dog and does 1 litter per year max. I love the idea of rescue, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting, because I have little kids, one of whom is SN.

I read this thread thinking "how does she NOT make money? 8 puppies at $1100 each is a lot of money". But of course there is the stud fee (whatever that is) plus any medical needs that come up, include x-rays and possibly surgery. Plus turning her home into a business for two months to raise and sell puppies! One of the puppies died early on, and that is hard. No question it is a labor of love.

From what I understand, American labs are the "hunter" dogs and English labs are the "show" dogs, with somewhat different temperaments. Both great dogs. I bought an English lab.

In the dog world, all home breeders are considered backyard breeders. Many people get angry with that title, but that's the way it is. Breeding, like everything else, is very specialized. Like others are noted, if you are not actively showing and winning titles, you shouldn't breed. Even if you have a nice purebred dog and have a friend or acquaintance with a purebred nice dog - by doing this, regardless of how many nice dogs your beloved can birth, you are a backyard breeder. You can take issue with that title, or create or buy lovely dogs from said person, you/they are still backyard breeders. Put another way, selling to pet stores does not a backyard breeder make.

Kindra178
12-22-2015, 11:33 AM
This is absolutely true. Many small home breeders are not backyard breeders.

Yes, they all are. Small home breeders FILL shelters, especially in the South and Kansas, Missouri, Texas and OK. Breed specific rescues in the north and upper midwest/Chicago are literally bursting with purebred dogs from small home breeders. These people didn't sell one or two puppies, or someone returned one or two puppies, and they can't afford to take care of them or don't want multiple dogs.

wellyes
12-22-2015, 11:44 AM
In the dog world, all home breeders are considered backyard breeders. Many people get angry with that title, but that's the way it is. Breeding, like everything else, is very specialized. Like others are noted, if you are not actively showing and winning titles, you shouldn't breed. Even if you have a nice purebred dog and have a friend or acquaintance with a purebred nice dog - by doing this, regardless of how many nice dogs your beloved can birth, you are a backyard breeder. You can take issue with that title, or create or buy lovely dogs from said person, you/they are still backyard breeders. Put another way, selling to pet stores does not a backyard breeder make.

*shrug* It's not a technical term.

I'm comfortable with breeders who carefully place the pups, including agreeing to keep pups they can't place, or take back pups if needed.
I don't see the point of "showing and winning titles" in the first place. Not judging those who do it, but, that's not the purpose of dogs in this world, in my eyes. So I don't elevate those who do it.

AnnieW625
12-22-2015, 02:14 PM
*shrug* It's not a technical term.

I'm comfortable with breeders who carefully place the pups, including agreeing to keep pups they can't place, or take back pups if needed.
I don't see the point of "showing and winning titles" in the first place. Not judging those who do it, but, that's not the purpose of dogs in this world, in my eyes. So I don't elevate those who do it.

:yeahthat: I very much agree with this. My neighbors growing up bred their female Bassett Hound who was approached to do a few dog shows and did them, and they ended up finding a match for her and they bred her. They only did it once and had help with the people from the dog shows in both the breeding and the placing the pups, but I know for sure they did sell at least one or two via the local wanted ads. The family at the time had had one if not two Bassetts for 20 yrs. then (this was in the late 80s so they had had Bassetts since the late 60s) and they still have Bassetts now. They truly love the breed, but were never full time dog show or breeding people, and now they have gotten their last couple of dogs from Bassett rescues. If I wasn't allergic to the breed and this same family decided to breed their current dog I would totally buy one of their pups because I know they would be cared for the right way even though they didn't come from a professional breeder.

Kindra178
12-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify, I do agree that the system is broken. Most experts in the field agree and note that it is very hard to get a dog these days. However, let it be known that nice, loving, kind people who breed their lovely dogs contribute to the problem of packed shelters, sick dogs with genetic anomalies, etc.

AnnieW625
12-22-2015, 03:09 PM
......However, let it be known that nice, loving, kind people who breed their lovely dogs contribute to the problem of packed shelters, sick dogs with genetic anomalies, etc.

I am pretty sure this is our current Labrador Retriever. We have met local trainers and show people who can tell by looking at her that she is a pure bred and we know that she was crate trained because when she is in our house when the weather is bad (she sleeps in the garage most nights) she stays at the back door and never has an accident; but we believe that she was given to someone else who didn't care for her properly (she is scared of water unless she is at the dog beach) and then either gave her to the animal shelter or she ran away and wasn't chipped and ended up at the shelter. I consider ourselves very lucky to have found her, and just hope that those dogs or cats at the shelter get adopted by loving families so they don't have to be put down.

khalloc
12-22-2015, 03:15 PM

I disagree. Where would good breeders breed and keep their dogs if it wasnt in their house? So being a breeder with your dogs in your house does not make you a back-yard breeder. I'd have red flags raised if I visited a breeder who rented out a building or storefront and the dogs were kept there and not kept at the breeder's home and treated like part of the family. Maybe I am interpreting your comment wrong. I've purchased 2 labs from reputable breeders. Both bred and kept the dogs in their homes. Both showed their dogs extensively and also participated in obedience. The dogs had every possible health clearance and test done before they were bred to rule out the chances of genetic diseases/issues.

here's what I think are some traits of a back-yard breeder - they are in it to make money, or they think they will. they breed because they think their dog would make a great mother, or they want her/him to have puppies, etc...not because their dog exemplifies the breed. they dont do health checks before breeding.

Kindra178
12-22-2015, 03:21 PM
I disagree. Where would good breeders breed and keep their dogs if it wasnt in their house? So being a breeder with your dogs in your house does not make you a back-yard breeder. I'd have red flags raised if I visited a breeder who rented out a building or storefront and the dogs were kept there and not kept at the breeder's home and treated like part of the family. Maybe I am interpreting your comment wrong. I've purchased 2 labs from reputable breeders. Both bred and kept the dogs in their homes. Both showed their dogs extensively and also participated in obedience. The dogs had every possible health clearance and test done before they were bred to rule out the chances of genetic diseases/issues.

here's what I think are some traits of a back-yard breeder - they are in it to make money, or they think they will. they breed because they think their dog would make a great mother, or they want her/him to have puppies, etc...not because their dog exemplifies the breed. they dont do health checks before breeding.

You and I are saying the same thing. I was attempting to use terms cited above, "small in home breeders." I should have been more specific.

Momit
12-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Just to clarify, I do agree that the system is broken. Most experts in the field agree and note that it is very hard to get a dog these days. However, let it be known that nice, loving, kind people who breed their lovely dogs contribute to the problem of packed shelters, sick dogs with genetic anomalies, etc.

The system is definitely broken, if on one hand it's hard to get a dog and on the other hand there are hundreds of thousands of unwanted pets.

Part of the problem is the exact terminology posters are debating here. For many potential dog owners, they hear the term "breeder" and assume a level of professionalism and expertise that may not, in fact, be there. Anyone with a boy and girl dog can call him or herself a breeder and offer purebred puppies with papers.