PDA

View Full Version : Your fool-proof Christmas Crack recipe?

kristenk
12-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Last year was a terrible year for Christmas Crack, that wonderful brown sugar, butter, saltine mixture that many of us have made over the years. There are several recipes floating around the board from years past and they all call for different combinations of sugar, butter, cook time, temperature, etc.

Do you have a no-fail recipe for Christmas Crack? I really need one this year! I made 3 different batches last year and none were as good as it had been when I made it before. I'd love to make it again, but need a good recipe! Please, share yours!!!

kep
12-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Following! I am planning to try this out for the first time this year.

SnuggleBuggles
12-20-2015, 01:38 PM
You know, mine totally failed last year and I kept the recipe around with the note "bad!!" on it. JUst the other day I tossed as I never planned to use that recipe again. Now it'd be handy to remember which to avoid. Oops.

pastrygirl
12-20-2015, 08:38 PM
This is the one I use, but I use crushed candy peppermint candies instead of nuts.

INGREDIENTS

4 ounces saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).

Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.

In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread t cover crackers completely.

Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.

kristenk
12-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks, pastrygirl!

What size cookie sheet do you use?

pastrygirl
12-21-2015, 10:56 PM
I use a half sheet pan.

kristenk
12-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Just thought I'd update. I had sent my mom the recipe that I first used however many years ago and it turned out to be the recipe that Twoboos had posted! Hurray! I'm so happy to know which variation worked for me in the past!

For those keeping track, it's this recipe:
Christmas Bark
Makes approx 40 pieces

1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
12oz semi-sweet choc morsals
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place crackers in one layer on parchment-lined baking sheet (with sides)
3. Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly
4. Pour butter-sugar mixture over the crackers, spread evenly
5. Bake for 15 mins
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with choc morsals. When they start to melt, spread evenly over entire layer of crackers
7. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top
8. Refrigerate 1 hr
9. Remove from frige and crack into pieces

eagle
12-24-2015, 11:37 AM
thanks for posting. ive never made it. what can go wrong??

SnuggleBuggles
12-24-2015, 02:09 PM
thanks for posting. ive never made it. what can go wrong??

It's so bad when not done right. Grainy and gross. Inedible. At least for all of us. I did just try a friend's batch though and didn't think it was awesome e en though not gritty and grainy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
12-24-2015, 07:22 PM
I've read all these threads and couldn't understand why something with those ingredients was getting so much attention ... until today, when visiting family made a big batch. Oh my!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hellokitty
12-24-2015, 11:58 PM
I made this recipe yesterday and it came out beautifully. I brought it to a party today and it was the only dish that was completely gone with only a few crumbs left.

http://bit.ly/crckrcandy

Tips: Make sure you use non-stick spray on the foil before you lay down the crackers, I almost missed this step by accident and don't overheat the butter/sugar combo and I let the baked combo cool (in the garage, covered), and then when cool, I stuck it in the freezer overnight. After you break it off into chunks, keep it refrigerated when it's not being eaten. It is very good and as someone who sucks at baking cookies, I think I finally found my, "baked good" for the holiday to make and bring to parties. It was such a hit, I was pretty pleased with the result considering how little effort it took. I did use dark chocolate chips, I think milk chocolate chips would be too sweet and make sure the saltines are salted, you want that salty/sweet combo!

eagle
12-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Just thought I'd update. I had sent my mom the recipe that I first used however many years ago and it turned out to be the recipe that Twoboos had posted! Hurray! I'm so happy to know which variation worked for me in the past!

For those keeping track, it's this recipe:
Christmas Bark
Makes approx 40 pieces

1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
12oz semi-sweet choc morsals
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place crackers in one layer on parchment-lined baking sheet (with sides)
3. Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly
4. Pour butter-sugar mixture over the crackers, spread evenly
5. Bake for 15 mins
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with choc morsals. When they start to melt, spread evenly over entire layer of crackers
7. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top
8. Refrigerate 1 hr
9. Remove from frige and crack into pieces

okie dokie. its cooling in our fridge now! made this recipe! hoping its great!

eagle
12-25-2015, 09:25 PM
im now not inclined to try any other recipe. this _did_ work. its not gritty and its pretty good. doubling the sugar (which is what a lot of the other recipes looked like) would not be so great i think. its already super sweet.