PDA

View Full Version : Puppies and vacations

smilequeen
12-21-2015, 11:03 PM
It's been a while. We have 2 older dogs (15 years old) and they stay in an awesome kennel when we travel. We have been on a waiting list for a puppy for about a year and it looks like we may end up with one that was born 12/9. We have a ski trip in late March. I will obviously check with them but would you do a great kennel or search for a dog sitter for that age puppy? It looks like we might be able to have them do some puppy training at the kennel for a price fwiw. I already hate the thought of leaving a puppy but the trip is scheduled and pd for.

LBW
12-22-2015, 10:41 AM
If you are getting the puppy from a breeder, ask if they would board the pup while you are away. I know people who have done that.

I'd be concerned about boarding a young pup at a kennel unless it was fully vaccinated. Talk to your vet if you might go that route.

babyonway
12-22-2015, 11:17 AM
If you are getting the puppy from a breeder, ask if they would board the pup while you are away. I know people who have done that.

:yeahthat: When are you supposed to pick up the dog? Can you delay pick up until you return?

HannaAddict
12-22-2015, 01:19 PM
I much prefer to have a good dog/house sitter versus boarding at a kennel. If I didn't have one though I would ask the breeder to board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen
12-22-2015, 01:39 PM
The breeder is not local and the pup will be 8-9 weeks in early/mid Feb, so more than a month before our trip will be the pick up date.

I'll check with our vet too on the vaccinations. Our kennel is absolutely amazing, my dogs love it...but with a puppy, a housesitter might be better.

trcy
12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
The breeder is not local and the pup will be 8-9 weeks in early/mid Feb, so more than a month before our trip will be the pick up date.

I'll check with our vet too on the vaccinations. Our kennel is absolutely amazing, my dogs love it...but with a puppy, a housesitter might be better.
IIRC, most puppy vaccine series are completed around 4 months, you may want to double check that with your vet. I would not be comfortable having a puppy in a boarding facility before the vaccine series is complete. I think a house sitter would be a better option.

mmsmom
12-22-2015, 06:10 PM
I agree... Too risky to board before fully vaccinated. I have found great sitters through Rover.com.

Momit
12-22-2015, 07:53 PM
I agree... Too risky to board before fully vaccinated. I have found great sitters through Rover.com.

I was going to say the same exact thing. We had pet sitting challenges at the opposite end of the spectrum, for our senior dog who was too frail for a boarding kennel. Loved, loved, loved the sitter we found through Rover.com. I have since recommended her to a bunch of people.

123LuckyMom
12-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Call your kennel and see if they do specialized puppy boarding. At our kennel, the owners take puppies into their home, and they make sure they keep puppies separated from other boarders. It costs a bit more to board a puppy, but the puppies are safe, and the owners play with them and, if appropriate, socialize them with their (obedience and agility trained) dogs. Our kennel is run by dog trainers/handlers, though. They really know what they're doing. If your kennel is similar, the kennel might still be an option.